Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terribly Thin Hair

CheshireKat

New in Town
Hi -

I'm new here, and newly stepping into beginning to put together a British WWII-Austerity inspired look. I've always loved the no-nonsense, simple aesthetic, and as I hurtle ever closer to 40, I've decided to stop dithering and trying to fit in with what everyone else is doing (I was never any good at that anyway), and just start building a small but versatile wardrobe of clothing I actually like enough to wear on a regular basis.

One of the big problems for me is not clothing or make-up, but hairstyle. I've searched through the whole 'Beauty' section and while I've seen people posting about their allegedly "thin" hair, they all seem to have rather a shocking amount of hair compared to me, so I hope it's OK to start a whole new thread.

I have PCOS, and as a result have had very, very thin hair on top since my mid-teens. It's basically male pattern baldness - not actually bald, but thin enough that I can look like I have a bald patch on photos. My hair used to be very thick, but it was always fine, so it's not the greatest combination. From the time it began falling out, I've kept my hair very short in variations on a pixie cut, as much longer and it just looks even thinner; I've a wave that starts at the nape of my neck, which is how I know it's in need of chopping. Now, all the styles I've seen for "short" hair have assumed that the hair is a) longer than mine, and b) a great deal thicker.

I am a low-faff kind of person, and not given to hair "product" (I was a teenager in the 80s; there's only so much a human can take). I use bicarb/baking soda and vinegar on my hair and don't wash it every day, which feels lovely; every few weeks I use clay on it, which works brilliantly, leaving it even lighter feeling, and bouncier.

Are there any styles that could be reasonably adapted to someone in my position? I've been thinking of trying rags, for example. I've been mightily impressed by the range and depth of knowledge you collectively possess, so I reckon if there's any chance of a vintage-ish look, you'd be the people to check with. If not, that's really fine, and I'll stick with a crop, but if there are plausible ideas, I'd love to try them.

Thanks ever so :)

CheshireKat

New in Town
I do appreciate you getting back to me :) Unfortunately, that's one of the threads I did look at, and the lady in question has far more hair than I do. I could only wish for hair as thick as hers :)

Mary

Practically Family
I can't help you with the way of styling. Maybe someone else can if you post a pic.

I used to use baking soda in my hair. You say it's good for your hair and I thought so to but actually my hair 's got more brittle. So if you are not dead sure it's good for you hair I'd try another product for 2 weeks to see if what that would do.

M

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I know Tinseltown wrote about this problem too, but I just can't find the thread. I remember that some ladies suggested some good things, all I remember is

1. Dye your hair blonde, that way the thinning will be less visible.
2. Use eyeshadow/other powder the same color as your hair on your scalp, this can camouflage the thinning.

And I know there's a girl on youtube who has made videos with instructions for vintage hair to thinner hair, but her hair is not very thin. Also, I do not remember her name.

Gee, what a terrible help I am. lol But I hope someone else remembers.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm one of those original posters. I'll admit, mine has just thinned a bit more than I would like, but I can still wear it long. I agree that a cute pixie cut like Hepburn can definitely have a vintage vibe. There are a number of Floungers that sport them. Would a clip on extension for the back perhaps give you an opportunity to do some of the styles you are looking for? I've used clip in extensions to get volume for special occasions and I know others do as well.

http://www.wilshirewigs.com/Wiglets-c-36.html

Perhaps if the front is a bit longer you might be able to use wave clips in the front to get a little retro vibe as well.

Another suggestion, and without seeing your hair this may not be a valid suggestion, but have you thought about using a snood? You could fill it with synthetic hair and totally work the 40's look.

jennifer

CheshireKat

New in Town
You all rock for taking the time to think this through, come up with ideas, and post urls :)

I think what's best is to take a couple of photos so you can see what's going on with my hair, but that would have to wait until the weekend(ish). For now, I'll tackle some of the ideas:

* Going blonde: a very clever idea, I have to say, but not an option, I fear. I embrace my pasty skin, but being blonde makes me look like I was just dug up! Seriously, it's just scary... :eek:

* Getting streaks: likewise clever, but the last couple of times I've had them done, the hairdressers have advised me against it, as my hair seems to be unhappy with the process. It seems good for 24 hours or so and then gets all peculiar. Also, I'm a low-maintenance kind of person, and I try to keep products to a minimum out of a sort of vague Green Angst. I await greyness with bated breath, though - maybe the combination of streaks and wiriness will be exactly what I need! ;)

* Adding hair pieces, hair grips/combs, etc.: I can't keep the things in. Even when my hair was thick, they'd slide away, making me look like the drunkest, saddest teenager you ever met. At my sister's wedding a few years back, my mother insisted that I put a flower comb thing in my hair, and ended up removing it before we even left the house (I'm not bitter). Hair pieces become suicidal when they meet me. But I'm willing to see if there are industrial strength hair grip suitable for clinging to inhospitable locks. I shall have a surf around...

* Curling the hair up off the forehead and binning the parting: looks very sensible, and I shall have a go. I'm attracted to the pincurl looks, and if I can find combs and grips and pins not allergic to staying in place, I wonder if this is one I might pull off? [insert intrigued smilie here]

* A very short crop: though I fantasise about having pre-Raphaelite hair, I'd be happy to stick with a very short style, and leave it at that. Any images of such cropped women from the era would be dead handy, so I'll do a search.

So, even without seeing my hair, you've helped me think things through further. I've spent almost 25 years just accepting that there's nothing interesting to be done with my hair; hairdressers almost always say, "The only thing to be done is to keep it really short." But I'm starting to feel a whole lot better about it all just from asking the question and getting such quick and helpful answers. Even if I keep the current cut, I feel happier about it, so ta very much :) I'll post a couple of pictures over the weekend, just on the off-chance.

The Shirt

Practically Family
We're happy to help! Last night I woke up and thought...this is a hat forum. Why not suggest a fantastic collection of hats? How about rocking a cute bandana look ala Rosie? I clip mine to the hair at the back of my neck so it doesn't slide around so much and then do a simple pomp up front.

Do bobby pins work in your hair? Combs don't stick in mine. I often switch out the comb attachment things for those snap clips type barrettes. I will attach a small piece of felt to the top of the barrette and then put the flower of feathers on top of that. I think there are some postings about how to make your own fascinators or hair flowers. I also found these mini prong clips that I will use to hold my curls in place. They are much tighter and just big enough for the amount of hair I have in them. I'll try to find a pic. Sometimes I find them located in the little girls hair areas.

CheshireKat

New in Town
Oooooh, I do love a nice hat! I used to wear hats more often, as a younger teenager, but sort of fell out of the habit. I do have a bit of a thing for cloche hats, which my Grandma told me were still being worn in the 40s, and for fedora-style ladies' hats. Also flat caps and berets...

I don't know about the hair grips. I'm going to have to see what I can get my mitts on, and just do some experimenting. I know that things used to slide out of my hair, but it's worth having a bash to see what will and won't hold.

You know, things may be clicking into place :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A little tip that might help - spray any clips, combs etc with hairspray before you put them in. It does help stop them slipping out.

My Nana had a short haircut circa 1945 when my mother was very small. Although her hair was massively thick and curly, it was very short up the back then a bit longer on top. At first I thought it was some sort of pompadour style until she put me straight. Perhaps you could try that sort of style with pincurls on top? Saves having to get the back to stay up.

Also, have you thought about trying a very gentle perm? I have seborrhiec dermatitis so my scalp is extremely sensitive, but I explained all to my hairdresser (an older lady used to doing perms) when I wanted mine done and she used an excellent no ammonia formula. (Sorry, trade secret as to which one it was - I don't know!) I just wanted some body so I asked her to use the largest rods she had and it came out great. It has made a big difference to me not to have very straight, boring hair.

As for hats, why not? Cloches are really much more 20s/30s. Only much older women would have still been wearing them at the beginning of the War. I'd suggest you go more for berets, scarves/turbans or tilt hats for a 40s look to work with your new wardrobe.

Hope this helps!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd be interested to see you in some of the little teeny cute hats (berets, pillboxes, things that are basically fascinators rather than serious structured hats) softened with a bit of veiling, maybe.

Scarves/turban wraps are an option but not one I have much experience with.

Have you looked at extensions at all? I'm not thinking of drastic length, just of the thickness and increased volume? I don't know if you would have issues with visible tracks or something though.

JennyLou

Practically Family
CheshireKat said:
Hi -

I'm new here, and newly stepping into beginning to put together a British WWII-Austerity inspired look. I've always loved the no-nonsense, simple aesthetic, and as I hurtle ever closer to 40, I've decided to stop dithering and trying to fit in with what everyone else is doing (I was never any good at that anyway), and just start building a small but versatile wardrobe of clothing I actually like enough to wear on a regular basis.

One of the big problems for me is not clothing or make-up, but hairstyle. I've searched through the whole 'Beauty' section and while I've seen people posting about their allegedly "thin" hair, they all seem to have rather a shocking amount of hair compared to me, so I hope it's OK to start a whole new thread.

I have PCOS, and as a result have had very, very thin hair on top since my mid-teens. It's basically male pattern baldness - not actually bald, but thin enough that I can look like I have a bald patch on photos. My hair used to be very thick, but it was always fine, so it's not the greatest combination. From the time it began falling out, I've kept my hair very short in variations on a pixie cut, as much longer and it just looks even thinner; I've a wave that starts at the nape of my neck, which is how I know it's in need of chopping. Now, all the styles I've seen for "short" hair have assumed that the hair is a) longer than mine, and b) a great deal thicker.

I am a low-faff kind of person, and not given to hair "product" (I was a teenager in the 80s; there's only so much a human can take). I use bicarb/baking soda and vinegar on my hair and don't wash it every day, which feels lovely; every few weeks I use clay on it, which works brilliantly, leaving it even lighter feeling, and bouncier.

Are there any styles that could be reasonably adapted to someone in my position? I've been thinking of trying rags, for example. I've been mightily impressed by the range and depth of knowledge you collectively possess, so I reckon if there's any chance of a vintage-ish look, you'd be the people to check with. If not, that's really fine, and I'll stick with a crop, but if there are plausible ideas, I'd love to try them.

Thanks ever so :)

Hi ChesireKat. I too have the same dilemma you do and know exactly what you are going through. I want to thank you for starting this thread. I also have PCOS and have very thin hair. It has been something that has bothered me for so long and has greatly affected the way I think about myself. I'm scared to wash my hair because I think that I won't have any left in a couple years so I limit my hair washing. Can you explain about the baking soda, vinegar and clay? I've never heard of those techniques and am not sure what it is for. I do hope that some of the wonderful girls in the lounge can give us some advice on styles that will work for us. Thanks.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have short, baby fine, stick straight hair...

I even wrote bemoaning it on another thread. I have very dry scalp, I swim twice a week, and color my hair too. Have a perm right now, done with too small of a rod size.

I have 25+ vintage 40s hats, and 6 or so vintage late 30s hats. Almost all are tilts and topper styles. These styles of hat may be just the ticket for you...

I finally, on a number of local Art Deco Society gals' advice went to see a hairstylist in SF that specializes in vintage hairstyles. MAGIC! He said that pin curls are very hard to do, and he's doing wet roller sets for me.

Here are a couple of pics:
BEFORE- not even gel and "crunching" it as I usually do
361641836.jpg
first hairdo with little late 30s hat
361674675.jpg
back view
361641847.jpg
tilt hat
362688693.jpg
back view
362688699.jpg
another tilt with veiling, permed as is with gel and sides pulled up with combs
362297537.jpg
same as first tilt, done at home, w/ sides and back pulled up into faux rolls with combs
361109762.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart