Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texas Fires

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Does your son stop at THE grocery store for anything, or just pass through? :D
We were down there in June and I didn't realize how dry things were until I saw these huge cracks in the yard. Cracks like you'd get after an earthquake. I asked my FIL and he said "it's because we have no rain..."
I've asked him to water around his property perimeter, in case there is a fire. It might not stop it, but it might slow it down a bit. We go back in November, and I'd like to see rain by then, maybe.

Renault

One Too Many
I think he just passes thru! :D The town is in the district where he works. Remember the big bank robbery/ shoot out/car chase they had there about 5 years ago? Just like Bonnie & Clyde days! LOL!

Renault

Justin B

One Too Many
So we went down to see if we could help Kris' sister salvage anything last night...and they turned us back around. It's horrible.

311888_269471086404510_127854087232878_1029918_853898_n.jpg

That would be his sisters cars and the shop where her husband worked.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
So terrible, Justin. I just keep seeing picture after picture like that and hearing about people who've lost their homes. So sad. I read about one volunteer firefighter near Bastrop that was out fighting a fire when her own home burned. :(

The whole state is a powder keg at this point... just awful.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Pictures make the point a lot better than descriptions sometimes.
Yes I remember hearing about the robbery, really odd.
Here in the South East we've got plenty of rain, and in the East too much!
Really praying for rain and for all those involved.
I agree, stay safe.

MikePotts

Practically Family
There was a small (I'm guessing about 20 acre) fire a mile from our property yesterday morning while I was in the Big City of Kerrville playing tennis. I only heard about it because the school district transport guy called me at lunch time telling me about it and was worried that they might not be able to get my son back to the house.
Sooooo.....I hot footed back to the ranch and fortunately by that time the 2 VFD's that cover our area had it under control and the problem was averted. :eusa_clap
Good work Harper and Tierra Linda VFD's - thank you.
A little extra donation for those guys today I think.

beth

Familiar Face
I live in Magnolia, where we are dealing with some fires. After looking through this thread, they don't seem as bad as Bastrop, but I don't really know. They haven't affected me personally, but I know several people who have been evacuated, and I've heard of different people who have lost houses. I know that in one subdivision, they saved 2 1/2 houses. They also have been dealing with people looting the evacuated houses.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I saw the Houston fires on one of the news sites yesterday, they look bad too. I know there are also some fires in east Texas. I think Bastrop is by far the worst in the state right now. Yesterday I was hearing nearly 800 homes lost there, today they're reporting more like 1400.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wish I could send our water your way. We're having record flooding in the southern tier of NYS- the worst in some areas since the 1890s. (Nowhere as near as bad as the fires where you are, but several towns are under significant water.) I kept hoping that the rain would stop yesterday here, and it would start raining in Texas.

It did stop raining here and everything has crested, so I am hoping that part 2 will come true as well.

I hope everyone can be kept safe and they can put them out/ get control of them. And that it rains in Texas.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Glad to hear you averted disaster Mike! :)

Thank You rue, I appreciate your concern. It's getting a little weird around here, today as we were prepping dinner a fire started almost equidistant to yesterdays but on the North side of us and with a slight North wind that blew the smoke in our direction. We once again loaded the vehicles with the irreplaceable/uninsured stuff and monitored the situation until it was eventually resolved............who knows what tomorow will bring?

MP

Renault

One Too Many
Got one of my old Emer. Ops. buds bunking with us this week. He's waiting for the word to activate. He and Wifey did volunteer work at the disaster distribution center yesterday. They brougnt in the big DC-9 (?) fire fighting jet to start working today on the southern edge of fire an other hotspots. Got a pic of sis in laws house, or what used to be her house yesterday. Her neighborhood was a total loss. Looting has been reported in some areas. Caught one bunch in the act. One of Wifey's co-workers who was evac-ed came back to their home to find it unburned but ransacked by looters. However these are extremely isolated incidences. For the most part is all about helping each other here. Lot's of team effort in the communities, and supplies are rolling in from everywhere!!!!!!! Everyone here knows that you guys out there are thinking about them!!!!!!!!

Thanks to you all!!!!!!! Even the slightest of your thoughts, kind words, and prayers IS making a big difference!

Renault

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Glad you guys are ok down there!!! Last report I saw said the Bastrop fire is 70% contained.

We're under high fire danger again today due to the heat, low humidity, and winds.

Just about an hour ago got a report of a large wildfire in Montague County, north of DFW. 287 through the area is closed. A good friend has his primary residence & ranch up there, and this is not far at all from his home. (His property was damaged by wildfires a couple of years ago, but they managed to keep it back & save his house & barns.) They have volunteer firefighters on the scene and here's hoping they get things under control...

Texas definitely isn't out of the woods yet!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic