Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thank you for 1944" : a Chinese Mystery

Story

I'll Lock Up

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Intriguing and very poignant. It's good to know that these gentlemen were remembered by the children of those they sought to help.

M.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Very cool indeed. But actually not surprising. I took a semester of Chinese last year, and our instructor was a young Chinese post-grad student. While we had some strong differences of opinion on some things (just mention Taiwan or Tibet and watch the fun begin), there was one thing that we were pleasantly surprised by. And that was how emphatically grateful he was for American help in defeating the Japanese. I don't have the foggiest idea of specifically how many places in China pay respect to American war dead, but I know of two. The Nanjing Memorial Cemetery to the Anti-Japanese Aviator Martyrs (yeah, the name is wordy, but the sentiment is strong) commemorates dead pilots from the U.S., China, and the Soviet Union. There is also a museum (still in it's initial phase it appears) to the Flying Tigers in Guilin, China at the site of one of the Tiger's airstrips.
http://www.flyingtigerhistoricalorganization.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff