Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Day 2010

Let's just say that my idiot uncle and I mix like barely-subcritical masses of Weapons Grade Plutonium... and that's even before you add his even-worse-idiot in-laws into the mix.

But of course, my grandmother insists we all make the 3-hour drive to his place (and back, despite the snow and the fact that west of the Cascade Mountains, most drivers turn to Dumber Than A Monkey Dump as soon as the first flake hits ground) 'cuz she thinks the world revolves around [voice=sneer]"Her Little BOY!"[/voice]*snort*:rolleyes:

rue

Let's just say that my idiot uncle and I mix like barely-subcritical masses of Weapons Grade Plutonium... and that's even before you add his even-worse-idiot in-laws into the mix.

But of course, my grandmother insists we all make the 3-hour drive to his place (and back, despite the snow and the fact that west of the Cascade Mountains, most drivers turn to Dumber Than A Monkey Dump as soon as the first flake hits ground) 'cuz she thinks the world revolves around [voice=sneer]"Her Little BOY!"[/voice]*snort*:rolleyes:

lol Not laughing at you, but at your descriptions lol

Don't get me started on the way people drive in semi-bad weather.... ugh. I'm from California and I drive better than those born with snow every year. What is with that?

Oh and I should mention that I don't have to see them for Thanksgiving, but the day after Christmas, but it wouldn't matter what day it was. They are AWFUL and the food is so bad I can't eat.... ewwww....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've changed my Thanksgiving plans: just me and the dog, and I'll invite my neighbor over for dessert. May go see a movie afterward.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Ah, here we go: big strapping teenaged boys lugged the furniture out of the living room yesterday, to make room for the extra tables. House got cleaned today, another run was made for sodas, ziploc bags (in which to send home leftovers) and additional relish tray amenities. Tonight we set up the tables and chairs, put on the Thanksgiving-themed tablecloths, and set the table with my Mother and Dad's good silver. Tomorrow the early cooking starts in earnest (stay tuned...).

lol Not laughing at you, but at your descriptions lol
Doesn't help that snark and other things that some would call "abusive" seem to be a common thread between me and a lot of my heroes: Dr. House, Gibbs and his headslaps, Mike Westen and his sarcasm and sardonic voiceovers, Gunny Ermey and his 24/7 "Drill Sergeant Nasty" act...

Don't get me started on the way people drive in semi-bad weather.... ugh. I'm from California and I drive better than those born with snow every year. What is with that?
Perhaps you had a better-than-average education? Out here, the CA expats are usually some of the worst, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Oh and I should mention that I don't have to see them for Thanksgiving, but the day after Christmas, but it wouldn't matter what day it was. They are AWFUL and the food is so bad I can't eat.... ewwww....
I don't have a dog, but can imagine any number of people I'd rather spend Thanksgiving with than my relatives--the problem is, I know them all from places like this (yes, a few are from here!;) ) rather than in MeatSpace, and they're all several states away at best and Thanksgiving isn't exactly a good time to be traveling... or for a "first contact" scenario for that matter.

Last edited:

CharlieB

A-List Customer
HAHAHAHAHAHA....... I swear, between you and Jamespowers I could laugh all day long. Both of you different in humor but excellent in making a girl giddy with laughter :)

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you.

I take it you thought of the same thing I did, the new "personal touch" from the TSA?

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you.
Not meant as a joke--I think we could agree that dropping in on a pen-pal for Thanksgiving = Real Bad Idea... especially if it's someone you ONLY know through the Internet or other correspondence. How many people here would YOU be kosher with having drop by for one of the holidays? I'd bet that most people here would answer "few to none", with good reason...

@CharlieB: Not so much what I was referring to--I was thinking more the limits of staying within one's proper place, it's very easy for individuals with my particular neuropathology and psychopathology to overstep our bounds without intending to and I've already been ripped a new one with threat to my continued membership here by Management over it--but this is just one more reason why as soon as I find a way to afford it an early-model Lear and the credentials to fly it are on my Must Get list. (Many competitive shooters only fly private or charter air, since it's exempt from a lot of the BS restrictions of commercial and they can keep their irons under their supervision in the cabin, and my idea of "Securing MY Plane" starts with a .45 autoloader on each hip or tucked in each armpit...)

Last edited:

/|\

One of the Regulars
this is just one more reason why as soon as I find a way to afford it an early-model Lear and the credentials to fly it are on my Must Get list.

FWIW, LearJets are not certified for single-pilot operation. (At least not the 'early models' like the 23 or 24.) You might want to look for a Cessna Citation I/SP (501). ;)

:eek:fftopic: Good point, thanks--pipedream would be somehow having a G550's controls re-engineered and certified for solo ops. Better yet, a 747 or C-5 if Gates, Buffett or the Sultan of Brunei's picking up the tab...lol

On the other hand, if I had the budget for even a Lear, I'm sure a long-term co-pilot candidate would present herself pretty quick.;) lol :D

rue

Not meant as a joke--I think we could agree that dropping in on a pen-pal for Thanksgiving = Real Bad Idea... especially if it's someone you ONLY know through the Internet or other correspondence. How many people here would YOU be kosher with having drop by for one of the holidays? I'd bet that most people here would answer "few to none", with good reason...

My apologies.....
I understand what you're saying now. Actually, I would mind if anyone just dropped in. Although, I would have no problem having an internet friend over for the holidays if they had nowhere else to go. Of course, I would have to have known them for quite sometime.

No apologies--it was easy to go either way on that one, and both are good points.

As far as Internet drop-ins, I'm with you, with three exceptions: a pen-pal who I wouldn't argue with a closer relationship with;), a buddy who's an NYTimes bestselling author and one of the country's foremost personal-defense experts, who happens to have trained the man who trained me and has been a reliable advisor to me as well by email.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
A good friend of mine has invited the mister and me over for the annual "Strays and Orphans" holiday dinner. It's a kindness, since my family is too far away to visit, and the mister's family already had their holiday dinner this past Sunday. I'm thinking about dragging out my vintage cookbooks and making something 50s-ish for nibbles.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
No apologies--it was easy to go either way on that one, and both are good points.

As far as Internet drop-ins, I'm with you, with three exceptions: a pen-pal who I wouldn't argue with a closer relationship with;), a buddy who's an NYTimes bestselling author and one of the country's foremost personal-defense experts, who happens to have trained the man who trained me and has been a reliable advisor to me as well by email.

Understood, got you now, Diamondback. I would agree that the holidays are not the best place to meet someone new, including bringing home a new sweetheart to meet the family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff