Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Day 2010

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
moonmatrix, I feel for you! Back when my second child was an infant, I had a very restricted diet because he was allergic to various foods that passed through the breastmilk. That was when I started hosting Thanksgiving at my house. Everyone offered to bring a dish, but I insisted on making everything so I knew that everything would be safe. To this day, my Thanksgiving is dairy, soy and egg-free and I strive to accomodate any of my guests' dietary needs. I hope your Thanksgiving is a relaxed and SAFE one and that you don't get sick!

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
When I was in college I would just claim it was too far to come home for both thanksgiving and Christmas so I got out of thanksgiving back then at least lol. I can no longer pull that trick.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Well, still dining alone for Thanksgiving. I've got the duck ordered from a place at Pike Place Market (plus one for the freezer).

Looks like I'll share the prime rib on Christmas, though. Ex-fiancée is moving in.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
if anyone would care to share any 'vintage' dishes, recipies that you have fond recollections of please post.

Another thing would be tradition.. I know the Macy's Parade and Football are old staples as is the all day marathon of the movie; home alone. But i'd like to get some ideas on other things to do. So please if you will, share and enlighten me with old family traditions ;-)

/|\

One of the Regulars
My mom made a Jell-O thing from a recipe she got from a sister-in-law, who got it from a ladies' magazine in the '50s. She said my aunt called it 'cr_p salad' because of all of the stuff in it. We called it 'That green Jell-O salad with apples and nuts in it'. I've never made it, and mom never used exact amounts. But I think it went something like this:

• Jell-O brand lemon gelatin, one box
  • Jell-O brand lime geletin, one box
  • Green apples, chopped
  • Red apples, chopped
  • Walnuts, chopped
  • Cottage cheese (Knudsen brand -- not available up here -- small curd, and very little liquid)
  • Miracle Whip salad dressing

Make the Jell-O and mix everything together while it's still liquid. Pour into a mould (or baking dish, in our house) and chill until set.

It sounds disgusting. It looks disgusting. (If Pepto Bismol was green instead of pink, that's what colour it would be.) It tastes... not bad, actually. 'Good' in the '50s sense. I always ate some, and would eat the leftovers she'd send home with me. But it's just not tasty enough to make me want to make it myself.

:eek:fftopic: Speaking of old recipes, dad liked to make SPAM-salad sandwiches. It's like ham-salad, but you use SPAM instead. Just run it through the meat grinder and grind it fine. Use Wonder bread.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
For movie suggestions: The Bishops Wife (original with Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young)
Miracle on 34th Street (original with Maureen O'Hara and a very young Nathalie Wood)

As if the turkey and sides aren't enough, my Aunt brings up a spicy chicken wing dip and my other Aunt brings a veggie tray and dip. The younger set (24-15) really go for the pick-its later in the day. We usually have some sort of board game around that all the cousins get into. It's a nice alternative for those of us who aren't into football. :)

Foofoogal

Banned
My mom made a Jell-O thing

I love, love this recipe. Yummy. One of the most fun things for me to do is thumb thru vintage magazines. Back then they molded everything and/or put jello in everything. It is hilarious. Main dishes, desserts, vegetables etc.

rue

How about taking turns telling everyone at the table what you're thankful for? Or if anyone's shy, you can have everyone write it down on little slips of paper, throw them into a bowl and have them pick one to read.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Traditional dinner at my mother-in-law's (no joke, I really do love my mother-in-law).

Stay overnight and on Friday, go to our favorite Lancaster County farmer's market called "The Green Dragon".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's just going to be my mother and me this year, and neither one of us especially likes turkey. So we're having roast pork instead. As long as there's those little pickled cauliflower things and Bisquick biscuits, it'll be traditional enough for me. And then it's off to work. (A great Thanksgiving tradition I encourage everyone to adopt is to see a fine motion picture at your local independent theatre.)

Foofoogal

Banned
How about taking turns telling everyone at the table what you're thankful for?

We do that every year. Very poignant this year because last Thanksgiving we found our we were having our grandson. This year he will be with us and we are thrilled. Took a long time to have him and basically God trumped those doctors.

/|\

One of the Regulars
I love, love this recipe. Yummy. One of the most fun things for me to do is thumb thru vintage magazines. Back then they molded everything and/or put jello in everything. It is hilarious. Main dishes, desserts, vegetables etc.

Have you made it? Or do you just like it for the hilarity? :p

Foofoogal

Banned
Yes, it is good and I have made it and Pistachio Salad. About the same. Sort of .
------------------
Thank you Rue. I may put a photo here. We are smitten.

Last edited:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
My eldest son who lives 40 minutes away, called me tonite and said he is coming here early morn on thursday.

I thought it was so nice of him to say that he and his siblings will do all the cooking so that I can bask in my state... of grieving.

I will count my blessings and eat my 22 lb turkey that i bought (in honor of my late Daddy :( ) because i need to cherish the day and despite such a painful loss... be thankful for what i DO have.

Foofoogal

Banned
Just finished gathering the food for the big day. Ludicrous. Next year we may go out to eat. I think it would be much cheaper.
Oh, and I forgot the French onion rings so will have to go back.
-------Menu
Turkey with Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Candied Yams with Marshmallows
Fruit Salad
Green Garden Salad
Cranberry Sauce
Croissant Rolls
Fruit Cake (Collins Street Bakery, (what else?)
Pumpkin Pie with Cool Whip
Chocolate Pecan Pie

antacids about 2 hours later.
best of all: Dressing sandwich with cranberry sauce next day.

rue

Just finished gathering the food for the big day. Ludicrous. Next year we may go out to eat. I think it would be much cheaper.
Oh, and I forgot the French onion rings so will have to go back.
-------Menu
Turkey with Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Candied Yams with Marshmallows
Fruit Salad
Green Garden Salad
Cranberry Sauce
Croissant Rolls
Fruit Cake (Collins Street Bakery, (what else?)
Pumpkin Pie with Cool Whip
Chocolate Pecan Pie

antacids about 2 hours later.
best of all: Dressing sandwich with cranberry sauce next day.

Oooooo... do you have a cranberry sauce recipe?? I want to make it this year.

rue

Well, crap. No getting out of it this year, the relatives are wise to my "feigned illness" tricks with ipecac, Ex-Lax and other "special vitamin supplements"...:( (Yes, it really is that bad that I'd rather spend my day stuck in the loo than dealing with them!)

I have in-laws like that (husband's dad, who is okay, and his awful step-monster & kids) and I've avoided them for two years, but this year I'm stuck.... ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR