Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That elusive safari jacket...(advice please)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Lone_Ranger said:
The Lost World's Safari Bush Jacket seems like just what I was looking for, but the price is a bit much for something I would actually wear in the 'outback.' Any other suggestions for a more reasonable one?
I am about to take a short break from my graduate school work to post a comprehensive review of safari jackets (and return to the Fedora Lounge on a more regular basis).

You are right that the price on the LW jacket is too high...way too high. That company needs to realize that one can get an original Willis & Geiger for less money. My recommendation is to look at Filson, Kevin's Catalog, and check Ebay.

If this one suits you, send me a PM...I'm selling off some of my surplus.
Size medium - chest 23", shoulders 19", sleeves 23", length 31"
DSC_0048.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
Just wondering, I have a Banana Republic Ventile Cotton Safari Jacket. What's the best cleaning method? Washing? Dry Cleaning? or just brushing (my method so far)?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Option 1 - if it fits loosely - machine wash & dry gentle.
Option 2 - if just right or slightly snug - go with a simple spot cleaning by hand.
Option 3 - leave the dirt on there - adds character and makes it look well used/loved and not just a "costume" jacket

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, it looks used :) and I'll brush it, keep the "mud" and other things off. Nothing worse than a "new" looking adventure jacket anyway...

Thanks,

tjoek

New in Town
My first post :)

I like Safari jacket.
My favorite one is by J. Petersman because I feel it embraces the classic style and has romanticism in it.

DC3

New in Town
Mike: Did I miss a post or did you not complete the "Folk Wear" bush jacket pattern?
I'm asking because I now have some time on my hands (was laid off) and want a good sewing project. So I thought I'd see how it went for you.
Just curious. Thanks in advance.
David

Mike K.

One Too Many
DC3 said:
Mike: Did I miss a post or did you not complete the "Folk Wear" bush jacket pattern?
I'm asking because I now have some time on my hands (was laid off) and want a good sewing project. So I thought I'd see how it went for you.
Just curious. Thanks in advance.
David
I found a safari jacket that I really like a lot (WPG Bush Jacket), so I abandoned the Folk Wear do it myself project. Plus, I've been tied up the past few years with graduate school and never had the time.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Of all the old threads on the topic of Safari Jackets, this one seems to have the most useful comparative info for potential buyers. Anyhow, I thought I'd post that I just ordered a jacket from Cabela's. I'll give a review when I get it and have had a chance to try it out on a safari or two (to remote exotic places such as Coney Island).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner