Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That elusive safari jacket...(advice please)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Hope this isn't too late, but here's another Barreta offering that is pretty sharp.

Here's the good news: they have small through 2XL! The bad news is, it doesn't have a belt, and doesn't seem to have a drawstring at the waist.

Hmmm, that does look interesting. By the way, you were missing one of these: [ .

Mike K.

One Too Many
Tony (TM) - the Beretta jacket comes in both tan and a 'hunter pewter' color. Currently, ableammo.com is the only retailer I've found that carries the pewter color...it may not be 'nontraditional' as you put it, but at least it's something other than khaki.

Mojave - I just went out today and purchased what I need to transfer the patterns to cloth. The store was out of the khaki canvas I was looking for. I'm fortunate in having a family member skilled with a sewing machine so after I get the pieces cut to my specifications I'll have it sewn together.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Well folks... my grandma has agreed to make not only the jacket but an off-white safari shirt ( :) :) ) so I'm getting ready to order that Folkwear pattern.

Now come some new questions:

1) what fabric? I'm thinking that same canvas-like stuff that Mike K. posted about earlier on, but I don't really know how to get ahold of that stuff... [huh]
2) how can I make the cartridge loops functional but still vintage-esque at least?

If I haven't said it yet, I will post all of this stuff up when I get it :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
I just stumbled across this safari jacket the other day at
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/ukkd.htm
Scroll down to the bush jacket, available in either khaki or jungle green. It looks classy!
Baggers has one of those jackets. I think he had issues with the sleeve length. I think Jerry's stuff is pretty good for re-enactment purposes, but I think one from Baretta, Orvis, or someone would be better for real use.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
I just received mine yesterday. Very nice; good fit, great quality and nice color. Exactly what I was looking for.
Did you get the olive or the khaki? You'll have to post pics, of course, and a detailed review.

FYI, though I like Kevins Fine Outdoor Gear, don't ever buy TAG stuff from there. They mark everything up by quite a bit, viz.:

Tag Hunter Short Sleeve:
Kevin's $54
TAG store $42

Always go straight to the TAG Safari store directly for better prices. It makes me laugh when they do this, though. Don't they know about Google?! lol

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I went with khaki. I'll try and get some photos up soon (along with shots of my hats).

Give it a couple of weeks to cool off here. once I have a chance to wear it I'll post a full review.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Serial Hero said:
I went with khaki. I'll try and get some photos up soon (along with shots of my hats).

Give it a couple of weeks to cool off here. once I have a chance to wear it I'll post a full review.

Can the belt come off? Can you add shell loops?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Kodiak said:
Can the belt come off? Can you add shell loops?

The belt is removable, along with the buckle.

I'll check this weekend and see if there is any spare material that could discreetly trimmed off for shell loops.

Fast

Familiar Face
Authentic safari jacket

Filson. Just go to the site. Strong, lightweight, exceedingly well made. Best of breed to two years. Most of the rest of it is leisure suit stuff. It is desert wear, and comes in light tan and poplin. It constitutes an improvement on the turn of the 20th century bush and british military desert uniform. Probably why most of the time you'll find matching pants.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Mike K.

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge.
The Filson jacket is nice but there are definitely better choices out there. You might want to check out the adventurers gear thread for more info.

Fast

Familiar Face
Filson

Thanks for the welcome. Love your avatar.

Regarding the JAcket. . . I beg to differ. Better for what?

Been living in these things for 30 years or so. In town, on the road. I've had the Khakis and the shooting jackets and the square pockets and the scalloped ones. Recently I got one of the highly thought of vintage repros. The cut had problems, the sizing was bizarre. the construction was far less than durable. There have been others over the years, many.

This is no ad, but from work to campsite, I'll wear my filson. I have not owned a better made, more functional garment made recently.

Yeah I looked in adventure gear.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'm not here to debate. There are numerous safari jackets out there...some good, some great, many not so hot.
There are a number of us here at the Lounge who also live and work in this gear. Some of us prefer Filson, some Beretta, some L. L. Bean, some Orvis, etc. I do like Filson for its ruggedness and their safari jacket has great looks.

To each his own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner