Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That elusive safari jacket...(advice please)

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Does anybody have any links to tried-and-true safari jackets? Leather would be nice, but too expensive for me almost surely. Cotton canvas would be better. I really don't care about the extra features, other than I would like it to have shell loops so I can wear it hunting. I have looked at Cabelas, but I'm not sure about their offerings, plus the one I really do like is too big for me.

Travelsmith I have seen, and I like the design, I could even make shell loops from the belt, but I'd like to see how it drapes. The BassPro "bush jacket" is very nice, but is once again too big. If possible, I need this before Aug. 31, as I am leaving for Canada on a hunting trip that day.

Any ideas?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Read my previous thread on the same topic.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=87606#post87606

The Cabela's safari jacket is okay...a little on the plain side though. Another option, this one with a traditional waist belt, can be found at US Wings. Aside from the expensive Lost Worlds jacket, the other really nice (i.e. traditional, utilitarian, good looking) safari jacket is the Beretta Kalahari Safari jacket. Just by coincidence, Cabela's also carries these in addition to their own brand. I owned a Beretta jacket briefly. It's made of lightweight cotton twill, has a belted waist, nicely shaped pockets...the works. They seem to run a bit large and most places that carry them (Cabelas, AbleAmmo, etc.) on stock mediums on up. I'm usually a medium but the Beretta felt too big for me. I discovered that you can order a small direct from the Beretta website. By the way, the jacket runs $150.

I just ordered the FolkWear pattern for the 'Australian Bush Outfit.' Actually it contains patterns for a traditional safari jacket (mens & womens) and even some Gurkha shorts. I'm planning on custom making my own safari jacket, patterned after the Beretta Kalahari jacket, out of a heftier weight cotton canvas.

-Mike

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
For a good price, all cotton traditional jacket, I second USWings. It's $50.00 and 100% cotton with a belt, the pockets and epaulets, the length is good and it is durable.

Seems a lot of Safari jackets are rather customized, each having a companies particular features or lack thereof. The classic safari jacket is what I wanted, and USWings had it. Just order a little larger than normal and don't machine dry the thing.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
For rugged wear, I'd go with the Beretta Kalahari- excellent jacket in every respect.

For less rugged wear, I'd consider the one from www.whatpriceglory.com. Definitely order this one at least one size larger than normal.

Feraud

Bartender
Can anyone post a direct link to the US Wings version? I could not find it on the website. Thanks.

I have the Cabelas jacket. The material is somewhat lightweight and you have to consider the environment to wear it in. The size appears to run a bit small too. Not a bad jacket for Spring/Fall.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Update

My Folkwear #130 bush outfit patterns just arrived yesterday afternoon. :D In looking through the fine print I discovered an acknowledgement to Patricia Zielgler for providing samples from Banana Republic (back when it was actually a real outfitter)! The jacket pattern is the same as the Beretta Kalahari jacket but the pockets, although pleated, are not bellowed. Everything else is there...waist belt (pattern specifically states HIGH waist), epaulettes, pleated back and armpits, etc. I plan on adding some extra length to the jacket and sleeves, reinforcing the elbows, and using vintage horn buttons. Additionally, rather than the traditional khaki twill or ventile, I'm going with a 7-9oz khaki canvas similar to my Cabelas 'Jeano' pants. As someone who works and plays rough in the outdoors, I must say that this material is about as tough as it comes (e.g. mine took a direct slashing from a saw palmetto thicket with barely a frayed thread). It also dries as fast as any of those hi-tech synthetics on the market. In addition to the safari jacket pattern, the Folkwear #130 package includes patterns for some Gurkha shorts. As far as I can tell, David Morgan is the only company selling Gurkha shorts today, and they aren't even close to the nice ones Ban. Rep. used to sell (i.e. the ones with the high waist). I'll probably stick with a cotton twill for these. I just ordered up a new Borsalino wide-brim 'Traveler' and khaki pleated hat band to complete the ensemble. I'll post pics eventually.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hmmm, sounds promising. I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

Are the chest pocket flaps scalloped or cut straight across? And are just the chest pockets pleated, or are the lower side pockets pleated as well?

And also, is there any way that those lower pockets could be modified to a bellows type?

Cheers!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Well... I would definately need it for bush wear, so I probably shouldn't go the WPG route.

Mike K.- As far as the Kalahari goes:

A) can the belt be removed?
B) is the fabric heavy enough for bush wear?
C) where can you find that 'jeano' material, and are the 'jeanos' good for rugged wear? (I know, :eek:fftopic: )

As regards the US Wings, is there any extra material on the jacket that I could build shell loops out of? And is it really durable enough to wear through briars and such?

Baggers

Practically Family
I can answer your questions on the Kalahari jacket.

The belt is sewn in place at two points on the sides, so no, it cannot be removed. As an aside, the belt on mine was backwards. The buckle was on the right side so I had to take it to a seamstress and have her flip it. Regarding the fabric, that was a real disapointment to me. Very soft and light weight. That, and the oversized fit are the two main reasons I don't like this jacket very much. Finally, it has a small Beretta logo embroidered in khaki thread smack dab on the back in the middle of the shoulder yoke. I generally detest logoed garments.

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Wow, I never noticed the logo on the Kalahari jacket. Then again, I sent mine back shortly after realizing it was too large and the material too thin for my tastes. As I recall, the belt was backwards on mine too.

As for the Folkwear pattern, here's a link to their website:
http://www.folkwear.com/frontier.html
It's #130, called the Australian Bush Outfit. The chest pockets are pleated down the middle and have a scalloped flap. The lower pockets are plain but look to be easily converted to a bellows design with a scalloped flap (which I intend to do). As for the Cabelas 'Jeano' fabric, I'm not sure but I think the canvas sold at www.fabricmaster.net might be the same stuff. It's simply a lightweight, tightly woven canvas.

Are the Cabelas 'Jeanos' good for rugged wear? You bet! I'm a field biologist (and professor) and work in south Florida (read Everglades/Big Cypress). I have to contend with saw palmettos, saw grass, Smylax vines, and stuff that quite literally shreds most clothing. I wear jeanos every single day. The are a little stiff at first but break in soft as butter in no time. However, they remain tough as nails. I just ordered up another couple of pairs. They're much lighter & cooler than denim jeans, tougher too. They also dry extremely fast.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, I was going to plug my Orvis bush jacket, which I'm very happy with, but it seems they no longer carry it! They have some bizarre blue linen one, but that won't help much. There's probably not enough time now, but I got mine from the 'Bay, and wear it constantly (when it's not 110, of course!)

The only other one was the TAG, which Flitcraft mentioned.

I still have my Gkurka shorts from Willis & Geiger, though I agree with you, Mike; they're not nearly as good as my Banana Republic pair. Those things wore like iron, but for some reason seemed to, er, shrink over time. Bill's Khakis carries an over-priced pair, and for some odd reason they've chosen to add a cargo pocket. I've seen British Army issue Ghurka shorts (mostly post-war) on the 'Bay fairly regularly, and in a fair range of styles. They wore them well into the 50s, and maybe the 60s, so there sem to be plenty of surplus pairs out there.

I just wore mine last weekend to hike up on Mt. San Jacinto. We were up about 10,800 feet, and iut was a beautiful day. It was tough coming back down the mountain to 105 degree temps!

JohnontheMtn.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Nice pic Mojave. I didn't think that was you in the avatar... ;)

That TAG site seems very nice. I've also got the Folkwear pattern description printed off, so my grandma might make me a jacket to go with my collarless shirt. If that dosen't work out, ol' Master Magnoli will probably have a special order jacket on his hands pretty soon.

Thanks for the help.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks!

I guess I'll have to take some pics of myself for my avatar. I just need to get that 1914 Bearcat...

I look forward to seeing how that jacket works out. Yours, too, Mike. Unfortunately I have absolutely no sewing skills, and neither does Mrs. Mojave. Mike, how are you doing yours?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
TM said:
Perhaps this is sacrilegious, but what about Safari/Bush clothing in unconventional colors, such as black or gray? Any sources for this?

Tony

I'm sure Magnoli could do you one in any color in the rainbow (note: Magnoli... if this cat asks for one in Fuschia, you don't offer that one ;) ;) )

As I've said, thanks for all of your help and links. If nothing else, I at least know what I want now... As I have also said, I'll keep you posted. Magnoli's offering sounds very, very, very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner