Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 50's "Beatnik" Look

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
missbeatnik.png

Miss Beatnik Poses in the Gaslight
Original caption: 7/13/1959-New York, NY- Angel poses in the Gaslight coffee house, after being voted "Miss Beatnik." Beatniks consider themselves out of this world, but this new crop of Bohemians has gained national prominence, and even attained the status of a tourist attraction. Many a visitor to New York would rather see a real-life beatnik than the Statue of Liberty.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Some more photos with captions

beatgirl.png

Young Woman at Gaslight Feeding Birds in Hanging Cage
Original caption: Greenwich Village, New York: Real Beat. "Like, man, if you're beat, where else is there to go but Greenwich Village, Earth? Like, it's Endsville, man, you dig?" That's a fair expression of the way the Beat Generation feels about New York's Greenwich Village, which has survived assorted Bohemian movements through the years. Now the Beatnik having his day and his hangouts are the coffee houses--any number of cellar bistros which echo with poetry recited in the Beatnik's own strange language, often to the accompaniment of jazz. At places like the gaslight, which calls itself the Village's oldest coffee shop, the beats meet to drink espresso coffee, (sometimes ice cream sodas), and hold weighty philosophical discussions of art and life. Their beards, unkempt hairdos and strange costumes all express their rebellion against convention.

beats.png

Beatniks at Beat Cafe
Original caption: 11/14/1959-New York, NY: Greenwich Village- The "Beat Generation." Beatniks at the Cock N' Bull on Bleecker Street.

beats2.png

Greenwich Village Beatniks
Beatniks gather at a Greenwich Village coffeehouse in November 1959.

and way more here:
http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#q=beatnik&p=6

That site is amazing!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Some more photos with captions

beatgirl.png

Young Woman at Gaslight Feeding Birds in Hanging Cage
Original caption: Greenwich Village, New York: Real Beat. "Like, man, if you're beat, where else is there to go but Greenwich Village, Earth? Like, it's Endsville, man, you dig?" That's a fair expression of the way the Beat Generation feels about New York's Greenwich Village, which has survived assorted Bohemian movements through the years. Now the Beatnik having his day and his hangouts are the coffee houses--any number of cellar bistros which echo with poetry recited in the Beatnik's own strange language, often to the accompaniment of jazz. At places like the gaslight, which calls itself the Village's oldest coffee shop, the beats meet to drink espresso coffee, (sometimes ice cream sodas), and hold weighty philosophical discussions of art and life. Their beards, unkempt hairdos and strange costumes all express their rebellion against convention.

beats.png

Beatniks at Beat Cafe
Original caption: 11/14/1959-New York, NY: Greenwich Village- The "Beat Generation." Beatniks at the Cock N' Bull on Bleecker Street.

beats2.png

Greenwich Village Beatniks
Beatniks gather at a Greenwich Village coffeehouse in November 1959.

and way more here:
http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#q=beatnik&p=6

That site is amazing!

Oh, man. I was at the Gaslight a couple of times in the mid 60's. That was really the place, and that's exactly how it was. Fond memories.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
My Mum was a beatnik. She talks about that time a lot- I think she was very happy then- not that she isn't now. She used to frequent a club in Birkenhead called 'The Cubic' and drink coffee. She used to watch 'the old grey whistle test' on TV. Clothes wise the colour was black but drak brown or navy were worn as a change. She wore polo neck tops,crew neck tops and coruroy bell bottoms and A-line mini skirts. She had a fitted blazer made of black curduroy. She made a lot of her clothes and passed them down to me when I was 16 (i remember a black crushed velvet top she made- wide slash neck and ruched at one side a wierd waistband thing that came apart at one side and fastened with a press stud). He main thing I remember was that quality of the clothing, although she said it was cheap, off the market- it was fantastic quality and the colour was so black, never faded in the wash. Sadly I left my favourite top of hers in manchester- i still miss that top!

Forgot to say- she also sported a duffle coat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy