Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazingly Weird "Bachelor Apartment" 1931

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The 1931 pre-Code film "Bachelor Apartment" aired recently on TCM. It is about the strangest "comedies" I have seen from that period. The opening scene has a butler cleaning up from a wild party and finding Benzedrine poppers and cocaine laying about the place! Hints are even dropped about threesomes. A married woman also calls to say she wants to continue her affair despite her new marriage.

Lowell Sherman directs (poorly) and acts as the rich playboy. He seems too "light in the loafers" to be a lady-killer. The whole film is paced too slowly to be funny and Sherman's fey mannerisms (he is no William Warren) are totally distracting.

The best part is his swanky Art Deco apartment.

A good review of the film can be found here:

www.altfg.com/blog/film-reviews/bachelor-apartment-lowell-sherman-irene-dunne/

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll have to keep an eye out for it. TCM did a series of pre-code films last fall to coincide with their release of a DVD set. It was interesting to see that there were some more racy or at least suggestive movies release pre-code. I'd heard things were different pre-code but most pre-code films I'd seen up to that point weren't that different from the post-code.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I caught it a few years ago; while mildly entertaining, not worth a re-watch.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I saw this on TCM a few years ago. It was... interesting! lol not wonderful but full of worthwhile stuff for one watch.
I recently saw a documentary on director William Wellman & recorded a few of his films that I hadn't seen before like Wild Boys of the Road from 1933 - now this looks wonderful!
Actually TCM has really been on a great run of screening really really rare 30's films! Life's good :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Sounds really good to me. But then again, I tend to like those slow "read between the lines" early talkies.

I have it on DVD but haven't watched it yet. Will do next, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97