Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
When we speak of conditions today and it has to do with people of an age group or regional type of focus, they all fall into some type of Bell Curve response. There will always be a segment the doesn't mumble just as at the other end the segment that always mumbles.

I wish more people understood the normal distribution or bell curve. Because if they did, that would cut down on the following annoying phrase:

"WELL, YOU'RE JUST MAKING GENERALIZATIONS. NOT EVERYONE OF GROUP X IS LIKE THAT."

"Yes, ma'am, I am aware that not everyone of Group X possesses the negative characteristic that I have just observed. There will always be exceptions. However, the exceptions do not negate a general trend that I believe I have observed -- you idiot."

Carlisle Blues

John in Covina said:
Very true! Still, I am always amazed in business that in spite of speaking clearly or writing clearly the hearer or recipient still does not understand. Most often disregards what was written or said and acts on their pre-conceived notion is regarding the communications. The ability to listen and comprehend seems to suffer a lot these days also.

Yes I agree. That is why when I discuss an issue or topic with sales people I do research and bring a description from the store in hand. This way when I ask for an item I produce the description and I get the goods.

Even when I discuss an issue or topic here I do the same because that way everybody has a clear understanding of what we are discussing. I sometimes get heat for that here as being this Google monster. No I just like to be in the same discussion as others.

Besides that was the way I was taught in school. Cite the issue, produce an example and then discuss. If possible. It just lends itself to an easier, smoother method of communication.

Doran said:
I wish more people understood the normal distribution or bell curve. Because if they did, that would cut down on the following annoying phrase:

"WELL, YOU'RE JUST MAKING GENERALIZATIONS. NOT EVERYONE OF GROUP X IS LIKE THAT."

Yes, ma'am, I am aware that not everyone of Group X possesses the negative characteristic that I have just observed. There will always be exceptions. However, the exceptions do not negate a general trend that I believe I have observed. Idiot."

Your last sentence should read: "However, the exceptions do not negate a general trend that I believe I have observed---you Idiot. ":p ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It's annoying to hear the same complaint again and again from the same person:

"I'm freezing!"
"I'm starving!"

Can't these otherwise intelligent people bring a wool sweater or a snack?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Chav talk...there's a few examples here...

Mitchell & Webb (British Comedy duo) really know how to 'send up' the way the English language in the UK is being crucified by some of the younger population.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFk9zJNX0Lk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFk9zJNX0Lk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Armstrong & Miller (send up Chav sayings and language)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lwNQf08Kxsw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lwNQf08Kxsw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And lastly...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQ9yj_BXRp0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQ9yj_BXRp0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dixon Cannon

Hey, can we be done with this whole "throwing up in my throat" phrase!!??
How disgusting is that, to insert into a conversation??
How in the world did that one get started!!?...in some prison yard, no doubt!

-dixon cannon

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:

-dixon cannon

Gee, I've never heard of that one, but then again, I don't think I want to... :confused:

Dr Doran

Dixon Cannon said:

-dixon cannon

I have not heard it either, but good to see you again, Dixon.

But I have noticed over the past several years that films have become all too happy to show people vomiting to illustrate how horrified the person is by something. There is NO REASON to show the actual vomiting. Not much reason to have the audience hear the sounds, either. A person bending over in the corner of the screen should be information enough for the audience to understand the point, if it is absolutely necessary, which it really isn't. Sensationalist garbage.

How often do things actually make someone vomit? Give me a break. This is extremely rare. I know that almost no one faints anymore; I guess reverse peristalsis is the new "extreme reaction to bad news."

Doran said:
I have not heard it either, but good to see you again, Dixon.

But I have noticed over the past several years that films have become all too happy to show people vomiting to illustrate how horrified the person is by something. There is NO REASON to show the actual vomiting. Not much reason to have the audience hear the sounds, either. A person bending over in the corner of the screen should be information enough for the audience to understand the point, if it is absolutely necessary, which it really isn't. Sensationalist garbage.

How often do things actually make someone vomit? Give me a break. This is extremely rare. I know that almost no one faints anymore; I guess reverse peristalsis is the new "extreme reaction to bad news."

I have heard of "I think I just threw up a little in my mouth" but not that one. Either way, it just isn't very nice to think of.:rolleyes:
D, just about everything that comes out of Hollywood Dunceland today is sensationalist garbage. That is where my favorite phrase comes from----don't take you lessons of history from Hollywood. Check it out for yourself. It is usually 360 degrees opposite of how it actually happened. :rolleyes:
Graphic barfing on screen actually makes me want to do the same. Not good for theatre owners. :eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Another phrase I simply HATE .... and I find grotesque and stoopid is:

to beef up

why beef?whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, why not elephant? why not buffalo? omg GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:rage:

what a moronic term

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
Another phrase I simply HATE .... and I find grotesque and stoopid is:

to beef up

why beef?whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, why not elephant? why not buffalo? omg GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:rage:

what a moronic term

You may be referring to something else but the term I heard is bulk up...still silly.

Beef up means something else here in Beautiful Horse Country...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
You may be referring to something else but the term I heard is bulk up...still silly.

Beef up means something else here in Beautiful Horse Country...

I think both terms are used! :)

By beef up i meant : To make or become stronger, for example:

"New players to beef up the team"

or

"Beef up the Budget"

that term should be outlawed! :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In the course of one day I was advised by various people that a restaurant operation, a financial instrument, a business transaction and an NFL team all had lots of moving parts.:rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

jamespowers said:
Better than to skunk up. :eek: :p

Bingo, Sir James ....She was right. Further, she is a lady and gets respected as such .... :)

I'm no dope. She is one person I would not want to fight...:eek: :eek: lol
tko-boxing-boxer-athlete-smiley-emoticon-000579-large.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn