Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Has it been mentioned ?

When they say:

" It hasn't soaked in yet" or "Have to let it all soak in"

yes it does, it does irritate profoundly ... it sounds like we are human sponges, it sounds wrong! :confused: ...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Phrases I can't stand...

"...and I'm like..."

You ARE. Or you are NOT. You are not LIKE anything. You are NOT like a cactus. You are a human being.

People who use "literally" for something that isn't literal.

People who say "ink pen". Since when did a pen write with grape-juice?

Shangas said:
Phrases I can't stand...

"...and I'm like..."

You ARE. Or you are NOT. You are not LIKE anything. You are NOT like a cactus. You are a human being.

People who use "literally" for something that isn't literal.

People who say "ink pen". Since when did a pen write with grape-juice?

Actually, the people who use "Like" generally have the the brains of a cactus. I know; I have mixed metaphors. ;) :p
I suppose an ink pen is better than a stick pen. :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Shangas, this one's for you.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/roPQ_M3yJTA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/roPQ_M3yJTA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
That's because they have to let their "brain diaper" work. :rolleyes:

lol lol lol Exactly

That hideous word soak in has to be one of the most OBNOXIOUS words ever uttered by human mouth!:rage: lol

Grr grrr grr grr grr :D

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Brother Shangas ink pen has been around for a very very long time on the upper side of the orb. Case quarter is one more we think of as a recent abomination but appears to have much deeper and older roots.
Tom D.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Phrases I can't stand...

"...and I'm like..."

Agreed, though I am occasionally guilty of it. It is generally used, at least among my peers (millenials all) to refer a statement made earlier, without having to remember specific words. Do you have a better suggestion for a phrase to use in this case?

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Yeps said:
Agreed, though I am occasionally guilty of it. It is generally used, at least among my peers (millenials all) to refer a statement made earlier, without having to remember specific words. Do you have a better suggestion for a phrase to use in this case?
Ooooooo as a former speech student this is a major problem and most of the time like is just used as a filler because people can't stand to have pauses while talking so like, and, and ums are thrown in subconsciously.
ex: "so i was all like NO WAY! NO WAY! SHUDDUP!"
reformed: "so i said NO WAY! NO WAY! SHUDDUP!"
and
"and we were like um you know, like dancing and then like i like tripped over his big feet!"
"we were dancing, then i tripped over his big feet!"
If you think about it you can figure out alternatives :) I'm sure of it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yeps said:

I just simply try and avoid it whenever possible. You'll begin to notice, if you pay attention to it, that often, the "like" doesn't have to be included at all. It's just an annoying habit.

Sorry for the mixup, Thomas. The orifice primarily engaged in mastication shall remain shut from now on.

Hailey...what the heck is/are "cool beans"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn