Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
In John Steinbeck's "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" shortly after Pearl Harbor he and Ed Ricketts (the inspiration for Doc in Cannery Row) chartered a fishing boat to do collecting in Mexico in the gulf between Baja and the Mainland. He mentions that during a visit to one of the cities that the residents there would reply 'Como, No?' when someone was speaking sort of a polite nothing that showed they were listening to what you said.

The following is an example of what I'm talking about:

"Es, como, torpe, cachai? Como que no sabe bailar, no sabe nada. Como, no se, fome..."

(Translation from Chilean teen Spanish: "She's, like, clumsy, know what I'm sayin'? Like, she doesn't know how to dance, she doesn't know anything. Like, I dunno, lame...")

Sound familiar?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
The following is an example of what I'm talking about:

"Es, como, torpe, cachai? Como que no sabe bailar, no sabe nada. Como, no se, fome..."

(Translation from Chilean teen Spanish: "She's, like, clumsy, know what I'm sayin'? Like, she doesn't know how to dance, she doesn't know anything. Like, I dunno, lame...")

Sound familiar?

cuadrado negocio

Square business

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Veggies. Everybody over the age of five should say "vegetables."

Yet I like the British "veg" for casual use. It's a good contraction that doesn't make you sound like a baby.

On the other hand, the British say "prezzies" for presents! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
On the other hand, the British say "prezzies" for presents! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Reminds me of Harry Potter's spoiled brat cousin, Dudley.

Baby talk in general makes me want to fwow up.

Carlisle Blues

Yeps said:
If we start calling it old than the prices might go down and I might be able to get more. Yay.

Exactly..............In the late 1900's and early 2000's, vintage has become an adjective used as a powerful marketing tool to increase the implied value of an item and increase its profitability when sold.

Whereas a few years ago a late 60's Fender Jazz Bass would have been relatively inexpensive ($200 - $500) because it was old, now a "vintage" late 60's Fender Jazz Bass can command prices in excess of $2000 easily when sold.....BOINK..........:eek:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Reminds me of Harry Potter's spoiled brat cousin, Dudley.

Baby talk in general makes me want to fwow up.

:eusa_clap As an American Expat in the UK, prezzies is one of those British truncations which makes every cell in my body pucker up with disgust. But wait...there's even better! Choccies for chocolate, hols for holidays and the one which makes me bite my tongue 'til it bleeds, for pudding - puds! Eeeeewwww!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
Hmph. Doesn't anybody say "eat yer greens" anymore?

Er, no. Today, it would be construed as a call to cannibalism.

sheffield-greens-wave.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Er, no. Today, it would be construed as a call to cannibalism.

sheffield-greens-wave.jpg

I am on vegan diet... they are actually not that bad. A little stringy, but if you cook them in a good sauce, they get rather tender.

D Yizz

New in Town
John in Covina said:
In John Steinbeck's "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" shortly after Pearl Harbor he and Ed Ricketts (the inspiration for Doc in Cannery Row) chartered a fishing boat to do collecting in Mexico in the gulf between Baja and the Mainland. He mentions that during a visit to one of the cities that the residents there would reply 'Como, No?' when someone was speaking sort of a polite nothing that showed they were listening to what you said.

The most common use of "como no" is as a response to a request, such as:

"Can you please give me _____?"

"Cómo no."

The literal translation is "How not", and it means sure, of course, and even "why not". It's still in use today, but it is being replaced by "seguro" (sure), or a plain uncourteous responseless service.

Regarding the horrible use of interjections or "muletillas" the spanish language is being corrupted everyday by them. Here in PR people (of the less educated kind and sadly even well educated people) use "viste?" (you see?), "tu me entiendes" (do you undestand me) in the same manner "you know what I'm sayin'" and the rest of these are used in the US.

The phrase that sickens me to death is used by store employees when they pretend to offer their help. They say: "Cualquier cosita..." Literal translation: "Any little thing..." The purpose of this is to make themselves available if you need assistance. But, they're so lazy they can't say the whole phrase: "Estoy a su disposición para cualquier ayuda que necesite."

Enough ranting. I hope people not fluent in Spanish were able to understand.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Shangas "cool beans" is said when you like something i think its maybe an extension of "cool" i don't know where or how beans got involved but i hate it! Maybe its just a california beach thing since no one else seems to know what i'm talking about?

Lizzie lol I say eat yur greens, but most people would think you were talking about the specific "greens" vegetable rather than any that were offered :p

Carlisle Blues

Cool Beans:

Originated in America during the late 1960s. Hits of [tabbed drugs] were dubbed "cool beans" for their bean-like shape. They were also referred to as "whacky beans" or just "beans."

Interjection

cool beans

1. okay; a humorous and light-hearted nonsense phrase

References

* J.E. Lightner "Historical dictionary of American Slang (Vol 2)" (New York: Random House Publishing 2007; ISBN 978-0195174182).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner