Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

"Reopening the economy" makes it sound like a simple matter of Sam Drucker going down to his store and flipping the sign from "closed" to "open." Which is exactly why they use it. Every word that comes out of Offices of Communication is carefully selected by experts on psychological marketing for maximum impact on the easily manipulated. It's a fundamental technique of propaganda.

None of these phrases ever arise by chance. If reporters were really doing their jobs, they would refuse to propagate them.

That’s about the size of it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It is not to make light of the dire financial prospects facing millions of our fellows to note that even in the depths of the Depression the economy wasn’t “dead.”

Understood. And I am not arguing semantics. But whatever the term: "freefall," "dead," "F.....d," "Closed"
the American economy at this moment is not a living, breathing, organism.
And not that it cannot be resuscitated. Unfortunately, society rests upon a firm economic foundation
which has been badly shaken, societal reverberation and upheaval will resonate, and the longer this viral
struggle continues the longer will said recover take. Also, the stimulus package as structured will ignite inflation.
To add more fuel to this particular fire, the federal deficit is beyond control.
The American economy now flatlines the economic EKG.

^^^^
Words matter. Semantic values matter.

The economy may be going over a cliff. I certainly hope it isn’t, but I don’t dismiss the possibility. But even if it does, it will still show signs of life.

For now, daily economic activity is very much alive.

I look to how Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore have coped. We Yanks ain’t Singaporeans, and what flies with the public there might meet with strong resistance here. But we disregard lessons from overseas at our own peril.

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
"These Challenging Times,"
A similar phrase caught my attention many years ago and has been ongoing until the present. "In times like these."
In my 55 years here I don't believe that we've ever had a good day, at least according to the peddlers of these things.
I absolutely despise speakers of the Buzzarian tongue. It is a common affectation in my industry. While they may think that they are cutting edge, I see it as confirmation of the Peter principle at work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I am done, DONE, D-O-N-E, with the trendy concept of "Pop Up." Pop Up this, Pop Up that, blah blah blah. It's been my experience that those who perpetuate this phrase neither know, nor do they care to know, the amount of actual physical work that someone has to do to create their "pop up" experience. There is no such thing as a "pop up" restaurant, "pop up" pedestrian mall, and god knows, "pop up" drive in theatre. Such projects appear because a lot of hard-working people assemble and operate them, not magical fairies who appear and disappear with the blink of a bourgeois eye.

I am done, DONE, D-O-N-E, with the trendy concept of "Pop Up." Pop Up this, Pop Up that, blah blah blah. It's been my experience that those who perpetuate this phrase neither know, nor do they care to know, the amount of actual physical work that someone has to do to create their "pop up" experience. There is no such thing as a "pop up" restaurant, "pop up" pedestrian mall, and god knows, "pop up" drive in theatre. Such projects appear because a lot of hard-working people assemble and operate them, not magical fairies who appear and disappear with the blink of a bourgeois eye.

I’d bet you’ll be stuck hearing this phrase for the remainder.

If it’s the phenomenon itself that irritates more than the phrase, well, okay, that’s another matter. But the phrase pretty well describes an ad-hoc sort of enterprise we’ve been seeing more of in recent years. Some 20,000 square feet of Halloween crap for a couple-three weeks in October in what had been a supermarket or something, well, that’s our world.

But, to your point — setting it all up and taking it all down is the kind of hard work that likely won’t buy much.

“This isn’t my first rodeo.”

The voice of authority! A man of a certain age who has learned a thing or two so listen to the old gasbag!

And “rodeo”? Is that to evoke a certain Western ruggedness? Like the Marlboro man? Or John Wayne? A manly man? One not to be trifled with?

Wow, now there is a term (bourgeois) that I have not heard since about the late 1960's interesting it is still in use in some circles.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wow, now there is a term (bourgeois) that I have not heard since about the late 1960's interesting it is still in use in some circles.

I remember it being huge in the 1980's. It's a word I still hear from a diverse range of folk down here, few of them would know Marx from Ayn Rand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko