The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Lady Day, Apr 21, 2009.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

That’s about the size of it.

2. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

a Moocow Usurper.;)

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Just the death rattle. (occurs at human death)

4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Well, we are in an age of every person being entitled to his or her or “their” (employed as a singular) “own truth.”

Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  5. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

It is not to make light of the dire financial prospects facing millions of our fellows to note that even in the depths of the Depression the economy wasn’t “dead.”

Harp likes this.
  6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

7. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I suspect I will be alternately amused and outraged by the euphemisms issuing from the mouths of pundits and politicians in the coming weeks and months.

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

9. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Understood. And I am not arguing semantics. But whatever the term: "freefall," "dead," "F.....d," "Closed"
    the American economy at this moment is not a living, breathing, organism.
    And not that it cannot be resuscitated. Unfortunately, society rests upon a firm economic foundation
    which has been badly shaken, societal reverberation and upheaval will resonate, and the longer this viral
    struggle continues the longer will said recover take. Also, the stimulus package as structured will ignite inflation.
    To add more fuel to this particular fire, the federal deficit is beyond control.
    The American economy now flatlines the economic EKG.

10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    Words matter. Semantic values matter.

The economy may be going over a cliff. I certainly hope it isn’t, but I don’t dismiss the possibility. But even if it does, it will still show signs of life.

For now, daily economic activity is very much alive.

I look to how Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore have coped. We Yanks ain’t Singaporeans, and what flies with the public there might meet with strong resistance here. But we disregard lessons from overseas at our own peril.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  11. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

As I said I wasn't arguing semantics.;)

12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    And?

I am concerning myself with, you know, semantics, what words mean.

“Dead” is hyperbolic in the extreme.

13. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

As you please.:)

14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    As I do.

15. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

A similar phrase caught my attention many years ago and has been ongoing until the present. "In times like these."
    In my 55 years here I don't believe that we've ever had a good day, at least according to the peddlers of these things.
    I absolutely despise speakers of the Buzzarian tongue. It is a common affectation in my industry. While they may think that they are cutting edge, I see it as confirmation of the Peter principle at work.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I am done, DONE, D-O-N-E, with the trendy concept of "Pop Up." Pop Up this, Pop Up that, blah blah blah. It's been my experience that those who perpetuate this phrase neither know, nor do they care to know, the amount of actual physical work that someone has to do to create their "pop up" experience. There is no such thing as a "pop up" restaurant, "pop up" pedestrian mall, and god knows, "pop up" drive in theatre. Such projects appear because a lot of hard-working people assemble and operate them, not magical fairies who appear and disappear with the blink of a bourgeois eye.

ChiTownScion likes this.
  17. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’d bet you’ll be stuck hearing this phrase for the remainder.

If it’s the phenomenon itself that irritates more than the phrase, well, okay, that’s another matter. But the phrase pretty well describes an ad-hoc sort of enterprise we’ve been seeing more of in recent years. Some 20,000 square feet of Halloween crap for a couple-three weeks in October in what had been a supermarket or something, well, that’s our world.

But, to your point — setting it all up and taking it all down is the kind of hard work that likely won’t buy much.

18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

“This isn’t my first rodeo.”

The voice of authority! A man of a certain age who has learned a thing or two so listen to the old gasbag!

And “rodeo”? Is that to evoke a certain Western ruggedness? Like the Marlboro man? Or John Wayne? A manly man? One not to be trifled with?

LizzieMaine likes this.
  19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Wow, now there is a term (bourgeois) that I have not heard since about the late 1960's interesting it is still in use in some circles.

20. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I remember it being huge in the 1980's. It's a word I still hear from a diverse range of folk down here, few of them would know Marx from Ayn Rand.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020