Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
C'mon we're sitting over here.....

Why is it whenever a guy is talking to a new girl at a club or whatever one of her friends will run over, grab the gal and take her back to the corner with the group she came in with????? Yeah we know her friends are over there and she'll get back there when she's done talking to the guy.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
because people are rude...

i was at wal-mart in sporting goods waiting to talk to a clerk who was talking with another. when they finished, one walked off and the other turned to me, "can i help you with something?" and i was able to get out "yes--" before the other one came back, "hey! she just scared the &^%# outta me, i was..." and they started b-s-ing again...

wonderful customer service...

people are just rude...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spitting image

The correct phrase is "spit and image". "He's the spit and image of his father."
Slightly gross, but makes more sense than "He's the spitting image of his father."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One year anniversary

I don't know if this has been touched on yet, but I think it's related to Americans' widespread loss of the ability to count. People now say "one year anniversary" instead of anniversary, because they don't know if year zero represents the first anniversary. So they say "one year (or two or whatever) anniversary. Lately I've heard people say "six month anniversary" and even "one week anniversary". The "anni" means "year" folks, as in Anno Domini.

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
The correct phrase is "spit and image". "He's the spit and image of his father."
Slightly gross, but makes more sense than "He's the spitting image of his father."
Either version can sound gross. :)
From a quick search it appears "spitting image" is old enough to satifsy the vintage crowd. Is there much of a difference between the two?

It cannot be as badly misused as "intensive purposes"..

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I dislike the intensifying use of people who say "should've" (which I'm fine with as a casual contraction) in spoken language, typing it out as "should of," to which I always grumpily think "You should've thought of the fact that should of makes no sense."

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Viola said:
I dislike the intensifying use of people who say "should've" (which I'm fine with as a casual contraction) in spoken language, typing it out as "should of," to which I always grumpily think "You should've thought of the fact that should of makes no sense."

one of my professors has the that pet peeve which is one reason why she takes away points in papers for the use of contractions...

language has truly corrupted the writing of the newer generation...or something like that...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love contractions, especially in speaking, but they have to at least be the right ones! :eusa_doh:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Like" and "y'know?"

I just really hate these two words/phrases because...like...y'know...they remind me of...like...stupid teenage girls with brains the size of peas and vocabularies that would fit onto a pea. And interjecting your speech with...like...these words every second line makes you sound totally...like...unsophistocated...like...y'know?

I rest my case.

How about when a person, instead of saying subsitute umm, which I can stand, with the phrase f***in'. I have many friends who do this and it drives me nuts! It just gets me thinking, "do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

SamMarlowPI said:
i was at wal-mart in sporting goods waiting to talk to a clerk who was talking with another. when they finished, one walked off and the other turned to me, "can i help you with something?" and i was able to get out "yes--" before the other one came back, "hey! she just scared the &^%# outta me, i was..." and they started b-s-ing again...
Sam, what ya shoulda done was charged in with an "Excuse me, you have a customer who needs help over here! By the way, I'd like to speak to your manager." Then tell the manager about their discourteous treatment of you and "I was gonna buy this, this and this, but now I'm going to take that $x of sales to the other store down the road--your downright rude employee just lost you a sale." (Works better if you're looking at a purchase in the high 3-figures or higher, but the point is you show them what's wrong, and why it's costing them your business.)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Well Of The Souls
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran