Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
These are the same people who say "you're going... Into The City? On the...on the subway?" in hushed, frightened tones.

Because if you go Into The City, you will, of course, be eaten by werewolves.

lol hahaha yea. Every once in a while you do see a few creatures on the subway but they havent shown me any non human traits....besides behavior. Its like some people think NYC is just full of mutants and savages...like this city is a post apocalyptic wasteland from something out of Mad Max or Hokuto No Ken.
It was more like that in the 70s and 80s but its mostly all glam and yuppie now.

Feraud

Bartender
Fedord Spaniard said:
lol hahaha yea. Every once in a while you do see a few creatures on the subway but they havent shown me any non human traits....besides behavior. Its like some people think NYC is just full of mutants and savages...like this city is a post apocalyptic wastland from something out of Mad Max or Hokuto No Ken.
It was more like that in the 70s and 80s but its mostly all glam and yuppie now.
I think I prefer the mutants and savages to the out of towners and hipsters.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
How about the misuse of the Latin phrase- per se. And the over use of the word- literally.
Two gems from the knucklehead I carpool with:
"I'm gonna fix it, per se. I just don't now how long it's going to last"[huh] shakeshead
"It was so hot in that boiler room... My head was literally on fire":eusa_doh:

Maybe I should go back to riding a motorcycle to save gas?:p :D

Oh! One more; supposeBly is bad enough,,, I get to hear supposeVly,,, every once in a while. or is it "once and a while". :p

Let's not over look "flustrated"

LordBest

Practically Family
"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". This one is more amusing than annoying.

"Changing tact" instead of "Changing tack", I hear this one a lot on the news.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
A linguist ought to know better... ekwoz!

Many young people seem unable to have any opinion that it not banally qualified with ungainly use of, "somewhat," and, "decent," or, mercy preserve us, "somewhat decent." Adverbial forms of the foregoing are likewise abundant. I blame the internet and excessively granular rating systems! (Oh, yes, the film that scored 8.9 out of 10 is so much better than the one that scored 8.8 that the distinction needed to be made)

rumblefish

One Too Many
,,, and as if saying a million or a trillion isn't hyperbole enough, some are drawn to use a bazilion or a gazillion.

St.Ignatz said:
Let's not over look "flustrated"

AtomicEraTom said:
How about 'guesstimate?'

Since some one mentioned the media- Over the last year I've been hearing a lot of news reporters describing the cuts companies and governments have to make as DRACONIAN. Funny, I don't remember reading anything about Draco and his laws that say he did any such cutting...:p
... So either they're reporting that those that don't follow such cuts will be put to death or they like to hear themselves say Draconian.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
These are the same people who say "you're going... Into The City? On the...on the subway?" in hushed, frightened tones.

Because if you go Into The City, you will, of course, be eaten by werewolves.

lol lol lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
more like,

"what's happnin', ese?"

"ey, ese" *fist bump or whatever*

etc...kinda lame to explain it lol have to see it but it's funny...

and all in fun...

"orale, ese" would work too...i'll have to keep it in memory...:)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
A coworker was telling me about his recent drive from Colorado to California, and mentioned crossing the Nevada/California border. Before he got the "r" out, I was telling him that borders are between countries.

When he bought his house, he talked with a "real-a-tor." Real-a-ly?

Back in school, a friend and I would laugh everytime we heard some kid declare to his opponent, "I'm gonna win you!" Russ or I would ask, "Are you going to put him on your mantle?"

"Irregardless" is irresponsible.

For one reason, and one reason only, I will never buy a Boost mobile phone or use their service. "Where you at?" "Redundant" is just the beginning.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters