Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
"Come with" is one that always seems to clunk when I hear it.

Also, any phrase uttered in the middle of me talking. People willfully interrupting one another is so rampant and rude. It just bothers the hell out of me.

I feel I have dual-vocabularies. I have my vocabulary for public, where it is very well manicured, at least to the best of my abilities. And then I have my vocabulary I use with my friends, which isn't so neat and trim. It also involves a lot of made up words and M'waukeeisms, which still seep into my "man on the 6 o'clock news vocabulary"

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Maybe next time....

When a guy asks a girl out why does she have to give the standard; "oh I've been so busy with work, I can't now, maybe next time"?? Just give us an honest "NO" and be over with it???[huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
When a guy asks a girl out why does she have to give the standard; "oh I've been so busy with work, I can't now, maybe next time"?? Just give us an honest "NO" and be over with it???[huh]

Blame training since fifth grade to not be mean. [huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What's the step in-between going "No!" and having a tale of "well I'd love to but this thing happened to occur just before you asked me..."?

I mean I've said, in the past, "sorry, I can't." WITHOUT explanation, is that better?

What if the guy absolutely refuses to take a hint? Of the "you got a boyfriend" [Yes] "Want a new one?" type?

I mean, I have the advice of my brother ("Tell him twice nicely, then channel Marvel's Thor and thunder "I SAY THEE NAY!") but somehow I think my brother was not actually concerned with good manners.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! What timing!.....

Lincsong said:

I just asked a co-worker (female) to lunch this past week and her response was a swift "NO! Why?". Shocking, but honest, I guess. :eek:

What a shame too; now she won't get to hear the AmWay Plan! lol (Isn't that why they're afraid to be stuck for an hour across the table?!)

-dixon cannon

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
I feel I have dual-vocabularies. I have my vocabulary for public, where it is very well manicured, at least to the best of my abilities. And then I have my vocabulary I use with my friends, which isn't so neat and trim. It also involves a lot of made up words and M'waukeeisms, which still seep into my "man on the 6 o'clock news vocabulary"

yep...perfect...exactly...and any other words i don't want to write to agree with this...

dc, imo that is the perfect response...all it needs is a *nod* and an 'ok' on the receiving end..well that's how i would handle it..lol..

LizzieMaine

Bartender
AtomicEraTom said:

Sociolinguists call this "code switching," and it's extremely common -- most people do it to a greater or lesser extent, and *everyone* I've ever known in broadcasting does it: a more formal, careful way of speaking for general-public use, and a more casual style when one is among close friends. Often the casual style is much heavier in dialect words and phrases. Ayuh, yessah, ain't it though.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
What's the step in-between going "No!" and having a tale of "well I'd love to but this thing happened to occur just before you asked me..."?

I mean I've said, in the past, "sorry, I can't." WITHOUT explanation, is that better?

What if the guy absolutely refuses to take a hint? Of the "you got a boyfriend" [Yes] "Want a new one?" type?

I mean, I have the advice of my brother ("Tell him twice nicely, then channel Marvel's Thor and thunder "I SAY THEE NAY!") but somehow I think my brother was not actually concerned with good manners.

Hmmm, well I'd have to say that if there's a chance she does have something already at the moment and wants to set something up in a couple days then set something up. But, if she has no intention then the swift and honest "NO" is better than "maybe next time", followed by flirting with no intention of proceeding to "next time."

Mike K.

One Too Many
I want to know when people/things stopped disappearing and instead "went missing."

Excuse me but you can go flying, go swimming, or go walking but it just doesn't sound right to "go missing." You might be missing or have something that is missing, but whatever it is did not "go missing" - it disappeared - or am I missing something? lol Who came up with this new lingo?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Who came up with this new lingo?

everyone...

hepsters dictionary, urban slang, southern slang, surfer, creole, jamaican patois, pidgins, etc...all just varieties of a language or languages...

give this 'new lingo' a name (if it truly is "new") and it will fall into line with the others...good or bad...

[huh] [huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
Dare I ask, in what sense?

If its anything like here, "yo, I'ma go to the Acme, wanna come with?"

It is inelegant. However, in very casual settings, I use it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Sociolinguists call this "code switching," and it's extremely common -- most people do it to a greater or lesser extent, and *everyone* I've ever known in broadcasting does it: a more formal, careful way of speaking for general-public use, and a more casual style when one is among close friends. Often the casual style is much heavier in dialect words and phrases. Ayuh, yessah, ain't it though.

We do a lot of that here in the South-West, primarily with Spanish and English, switching from one lingo to the other. There are certain words/phrases that sound better or are more precise in one language than the other, so when I'm with "Hispanics," I often do it myself. However, I wouldn't do it with just anyone; when you code switch, some people actually se enojan.:mad: ?Lo pueden creer?...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw