Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
D Yizz said:
The most common use of "como no" is as a response to a request, such as:

"Can you please give me _____?"

"Cómo no."

It's still used in Buenos Aires by waiters of a certain age.

(Incidentally, Buenos Aires is famous for its waiters: they never, ever write down any orders on a notepad -- no matter how many customers are at a table. They take great pride in their powers of memorization.)

Carlisle Blues said:
Cool Beans:

Originated in America during the late 1960s. Hits of [tabbed drugs] were dubbed "cool beans" for their bean-like shape. They were also referred to as "whacky beans" or just "beans."

Interjection

cool beans

1. okay; a humorous and light-hearted nonsense phrase

References

* J.E. Lightner "Historical dictionary of American Slang (Vol 2)" (New York: Random House Publishing 2007; ISBN 978-0195174182).

Hippies and drugs. Gee, who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Hippies and drugs. Gee, who would have thought? :rolleyes:

peace.gif

funny_hippie_bride.jpg
...lol lol lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can't abide "reach out," as in "We're reaching out to you today to...." What's wrong with "We're contacting you today..." or "We're asking you today..." or "We're inquiring about..."

Corporate jargon in any form makes me want to vomit, but especially when it's wrapped up in a fake touchy-feely manner exuding from the insincere lips of a cheap PR flack. Get a real job, schmuck.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Price Point makes me crazy!
“At that price point....blah blah” is a waste of 5 keystrokes and sounds so pretentious. Some times the boardroom econo-speak need not leave the boardroom.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Another and i’ll feel better.
In some regions, when someone is given or takes a bath, they say “I bathed”(short a) Granny or whatever. Totally drove me crazy when i moved to WV. I just want to yell “Bathe...bathe”!
Bath is a noun...bathe is a verb!
I feel better now.
B

Price Point makes me crazy!
“At that price point....blah blah” is a waste of 5 keystrokes and sounds so pretentious. Some times the boardroom econo-speak need not leave the boardroom.

I’m right with you, man. Those two-word (and more) phrases where one word will suffice annoy me as well.

“Skill set”? How ’bout “skills”?

“Lived experience”? What other kind of experience is there? Vicarious experience, maybe? But isn’t that phrase kinda oxymoronic?

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
I have hated the phrase "disconnect," used as a noun, since its inception. It's the apotheosis of looking like one is making up a new concept or paradigm when it is, in reality, just dropping a syllable. And now even otherwise rational and educated people are using it. You expect this drivel from corporate ne'er-do-wells, but it has become insidious.

"Multitasking," meanwhile, comes from the same gene pool of company buzzwords, and means even less. Every job will require you to, at some point, do more than one thing at a time. The notion that most people (including self-described multitaskers) can do seven things at once as effectively as a single task has been disproven by researchers, but the word is still the bane of any of us who have had to do rounds of interviews, knowing in the pit of our stomachs that someone in H.R. may trot it out, because they have heard of it, and it sounded good at the time.

My least charitable peeve, I admit, is "draw." Specifically, those who write the word "draw," when they mean "drawer." I cop to being a bit snobbish here, because I know that some people have arhotic accents and may actually have it had in their heads as young ones that that's how it was spelled. You can pronounce it any way you like, but when it comes to the written word, learn the difference, says I.

And ...

“I could care less” when what the speaker hopes to convey is just the opposite.

I take it as a sign of the speaker not thinking about what he or she is saying.

It’s not just us trailer trash given to this. I recently heard former California attorney general, now U.S. senator and presidential candidate Kamala Harris say “I could care less.” I was tempted to bring it to the attention of her campaign staff.

ATM "machine," MSDS "sheet," etc. Stop repeating yourself.

Using lesser when fewer is correct.

In professional settings, over the past 15 years or so - usually when making a presentation - it's become common to pronounce "processes" as "processeez." I'm on a personal mission to stand athwart language saying "stop!" on this one.

And don't get me started on apostrophes.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Nobert

Practically Family
And ...

“I could care less” when what the speaker hopes to convey is just the opposite.

I take it as a sign of the speaker not thinking about what he or she is saying.

It’s not just us trailer trash given to this. I recently heard former California attorney general, now U.S. senator and presidential candidate Kamala Harris say “I could care less.” I was tempted to bring it to the attention of her campaign staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner