Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of being happy.

Foofoogal

Banned
I don't think so at all. Some of the wealthiest people I have known are miserable. It may give you some security but not always happiness. Don't think so.
Known a few poor miserable people also though.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Rich and unhappy versus poor and unhappy are two very different things.
Gimme those trust fund woes anyday..

Amen to that.....
I know some poor unhappy people and rich happy people....
come to think of it ...
I also know some poor happy people and rich unhappy people.
It is a conundrum :) :( lol :cry:

Carlisle Blues

LizzieMaine said:
Completely. There's nothing joyous or liberating about deciding whether to pay your rent or the doctor's bill.

I don't know ....it is certainly stressful, but, I have found that to be inspiring.

I think I follow the Alanis Morrisette school of thought:

Hand In My Pocket

"I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah
I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful baby

What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five"

In other words I am grateful to be alive and have a chance at another day.

Eyemo

Practically Family
After having a couple of serious down years, I hope things are on the up...but I do believe that you have to have the bad times to really appreciate the good...well that's the way I see it.

I think if someones life has been quite uneventful ..as in crisis free, inevitably there will be a time when something unpleasant will happen, are they more equipped to cope when it does? I think not.
I'm a firm believer in “if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger”...so I keep on going and look forward to potentially great times.

The worst thing about not having money is in this day and age it physically stops you from achieving ambitions and dreams (and it stops me from seeing my lovely Girlfriend who lives at the other end of the country:confused: ). Almost nothing is free...and to get on with things... costs.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some of my employer's clients have seven-figure incomes. The accountants here who I've talked to about it have said those clients are no happier than the average person.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't need a six-figure income or tons and tons of money in the bank. I just want a cushion. That's all. I just want to be able to pay all my bills and have some money in the bank for emergencies. Oh, and maybe a trip somewhere once a year. That'd be all right, too. I can safely say that I-would- be happier without money worries. Having gone through them my entire life - parents weren't very good at finances and neither was the ex-husband - I am hopeful that I can just be comfortable someday.

I just get tired of living paycheck to paycheck.

Carlisle Blues

Bill paying is negotiable....happiness is not. What is the sense of living if I have place conditions on whether I can be happy on a given day. [huh]

I hardly think when I am on my death bed my thoughts will be, "Ohhhhh I better get up I didn't pay that bill...."

I think that what I was trying to get across in my post was....
Anyone can keep trying to attain "happiness"...always somewhere in the future...when things are better...when life should surely be more comfortable.
However...no one knows what "life" has in store...reguardless of a better financial situation or surely a more secure lifestyle somewhere on the horizon.
Perhaps one of the keys to true happiness is realizing that life is now. Happiness can simply be..how one decides to look at things. Appreciation for what you do have...rather than serious concern about what you determine must be missing.
HD

Feraud

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
I hardly think when I am on my death bed my thoughts will be, "Ohhhhh I better get up I didn't pay that bill...."
Of course. But not having the money to pay those bills will put you on your deathbed sooner. ;)

Carlisle Blues

HoosierDaddy said:
I think that what I was trying to get across in my post was....
Anyone can keep trying to attain "happiness"...always somewhere in the future...when things are better...when life should surely be more comfortable.
However...no one knows what "life" has in store...reguardless of a better financial situation or surely a more secure lifestyle somewhere on the horizon.
Perhaps one of the keys to true happiness is realizing that life is now. Happiness can simply be..how one decides to look at things. Appreciation for what you do have...rather than serious concern about what you determine must be missing.
HD

I agree yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and so live in the now. :)

Feraud said:
Of course. But not having the money to pay those bills will put you on your deathbed sooner. ;)

Perhaps, I think it depends on the person. Being responsible and not having the means does not equate with a shortened life span. Stress yes; death no.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
I am hopeful that I can just be comfortable someday.

I just get tired of living paycheck to paycheck.

That is something I'm looking forward to as well. Just so long as I can live comfortably on my own two feet and have a career I can enjoy most of the time, that's all I'll need.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Perhaps, I think it depends on the person. Being responsible and not having the means does not equate with a shortened life span. Stress yes; death no.

Unless you're poor, sick and can't afford catastrophic medical care. My greatest fear is coming down with something that would be cureable if I had money. Dealing with the things I have to deal with now is bad enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy