Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

volatile

A-List Customer
What a great movie - a slow-boiled, smart, tense, character-driven drama, with excellent hats.

image1.jpg

What type of hat is Brad Pitt wearing? It looked too low a crown to be a derby, but the wrong shape to be a fedora or homburg...

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I heard an interview with Casey Affleck on NPR. I definitely want to see this movie. Now to find it playing here...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
I think "Jesse James and Robert Ford" would've done it and not a title thats going to take up three lines on the marquee...think ill see it anyway...

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
SamMarlowPI said:
I think "Jesse James and Robert Ford" would've done it and not a title thats going to take up three lines on the marquee...think ill see it anyway...

I too wondered about the title. It won't prevent me from seeing it though.

Josephine

One Too Many
I thought the title seemed to fit the setting/age of the story. IIRC, a lot of my old books have looooooooong titles with an "or" stuck in there to make it even longer. Besides, that's what the book was called and Pitt wouldn't let it be changed.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I thought the title seemed to fit the setting/age of the story. IIRC, a lot of my old books have looooooooong titles with an "or" stuck in there to make it even longer. Besides, that's what the book was called and Pitt wouldn't let it be changed.

well then that makes sense. on the other hand..."The Assassination Of Jesse James Who Was Shot In The Back Whilst Looking At A Crooked Picture By The Coward Robert Ford Who Was Invited Over For Dinner But Secretly Working For The Pinkerton Agency"...how ya' like that one...:D yuk yuk, i kill myself...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Then there was the contemporary song-

The dirty little coward,
That shot Mr. Howard,
Put poor Jesse,
In his grave....

Jesse was living under the psuedonym of Mr. Howard at the time. I have read so much about the actual James and Youngers no movie can do it justice. I won't be spending to see this.

carebear

Twitch said:
Jesse was living under the psuedonym of Mr. Howard at the time. I have read so much about the actual James and Youngers no movie can do it justice. I won't be spending to see this.

SamMarlowPI said:

You both realize this movie is based on the critically acclaimed (was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award) novel (of the same long title) by Ron Hansen, right?

The novel has serious historical cred.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
carebear said:
You both realize this movie is based on the critically acclaimed (was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award) novel (of the same long title) by Ron Hansen, right?

not 'til i stumbled on this thread and Josephine enlightened me...

carebear

The Sand Pebbles was just on again.

McQueen as rebellious to authority for authorities sake, a champion of other's loves AND a first rate warrior.

I can't think of a movie I don't like him in...

Of course, I'm also a Peckinpah fan.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
carebear said:
The Sand Pebbles was just on again.

McQueen as rebellious to authority for authorities sake, a champion of other's loves AND a first rate warrior.

I can't think of a movie I don't like him in...

Of course, I'm also a Peckinpah fan.

me too...just watched Baby The Rain Must Fall last night...not his best but good...like you said, can't think of one i don't like him in...
i think we hijacked the thread lol

vintage68

Practically Family
eightbore said:
I liked the movie quite a lot but could have done without the "Ken Burns" style narration. :(

Narration seems to be one of those things you either love or hate. I for one like narration. For instance the first release of Blade Runner with voice over, and the "director's cut" without. I hated the director's cut chiefly because I missed the narration, and for a long time you couldn't find a copy of the film that was not the director's cut.

Thank goodness for the new four disc set. Voiceover at last!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
vintage68 said:
Narration seems to be one of those things you either love or hate. I for one like narration. For instance the first release of Blade Runner with voice over, and the "director's cut" without. I hated the director's cut chiefly because I missed the narration, and for a long time you couldn't find a copy of the film that was not the director's cut.

Thank goodness for the new four disc set. Voiceover at last!

:eek:fftopic:
I adore narration! "Pushing Daisies" anyone? Man I'm gonna miss that show.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Now that this movie is out on DVD, has anyone seen it? What do you think?
Personally, I think "The Long Riders" is THE Jesse James/ James Gang flick.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Although I love "The Long Riders", it really isn't very historically acurate from all that I've read. The costuming is really fun, however...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy