Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beard

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Should it stay or should it go?
It's getting thicker, I swear it is?

IMG_0424-vi.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMHO, it looks great...but wrong season. Granted, it's not as if there's some rule against growing beards in the warmer months, but I think you would feel better in a cooler atmosphere. I realize you're in Cali. but I couldn't bear to have hair on my face when it gets hot.

But otherwise, I think it looks good. It frames your face well and I think it's distinguished looking.

By the way, excellent outfit! :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Matt, I never realized this, but if you were blond, you'd look almost like my ex-boyfriend.

Since you asked, I think if you grow a beard that is much longer than it is now, it will make your face look a bit too long.

Dr Doran

Keep it until you get bored, then goatee it for a 24-hour period, then shave it off unless you decide otherwise. If you get truly inspired, grow the moustache long and wax and curl it ... I don't see enough people doing that here, and that's a damn shame as looks brilliant. My wife says she will NOT put up with that, but you are not married yet.

Bebop

Practically Family
I say if you can't grow a beard that is really thick and full, you should shave clean. That is why I don't have a beard. I think beards look sloppy unless they are thick enough to not be able to see your skin under the beard. I kind of see it as men with long hair. If you have flimsy, thin hair, keep it short. If you have beautiful, thick hair, show it off. You look great clean shaven.

Dr Doran

Bebop said:
I say if you can't grow a beard that is really thick and full, you should shave clean. That is why I don't have a beard. I think beards look sloppy unless they are thick enough to not be able to see your skin under the beard. I kind of see it as men with long hair. If you have flimsy, thin hair, keep it short. If you have beautiful, thick hair, show it off. You look great clean shaven.

Often it takes a few weeks to grow in and then it looks thick and full.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
I say if you can't grow a beard that is really thick and full, you should shave clean. That is why I don't have a beard.

I agree with Bebop. I have the same problem, so I normally stick to the goatee when I have facial hair.

Matt, I'd strongly encourage you ask some female friends about the beard. If some beauty comes along and tells you she loves the beard, by all means, keep the darn thing! Women will be your best source for information. ;)

Steve

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I know men like to play with their facial hair but honestly, I say go.

You have such a lovely face and skin and the beard is covering it up! Also it makes you look a bit older than you really are in my opinion. (that may be what you're going for though)

Don't get me wrong, you are most definitely handsome either way, but my personal preference is your clean shaven look :)

Dr Doran

PastimeSteve said:
I agree with Bebop. I have the same problem, so I normally stick to the goatee when I have facial hair.

Matt, I'd strongly encourage you ask some female friends about the beard. If some beauty comes along and tells you she loves the beard, by all means, keep the darn thing! Women will be your best source for information. ;)

Steve

Excellent advice.

Dr Doran

Miss Lucy June said:
I know men like to play with their facial hair but honestly, I say go.

You have such a lovely face and skin and the beard is covering it up! Also it makes you look a bit older than you really are in my opinion. (that may be what you're going for though)

Don't get me wrong, you are most definitely handsome either way, but my personal preference is your clean shaven look :)

Looks like you just got your answer, from the most beautiful lady on the Lounge. SHAVE IT.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I like the look, and it looks brilliant with your glasses. Keep it for a while and take it out for a test drive.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think it could work. I would give it another week of growth, that might fill it in a bit.

I shaved my beard off for work and am still regretting it...

Rafter

Suspended
Matt are you aware of the "4 week rule"?

You've got to give it at least four weeks before you decide to put the blade to your face. No trimming at all for 4 weeks. None. Not a hair. You have to let it grow out on it's own, get fuller and shape itself before taking a blade to something you don't understand quite yet. Only then will you know for sure if if it's a look that you want to keep for a while.

Don't allow yourself or others to pass judgment on your beard until the 4 weeks are over. It's going to be tough. But hang in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner