The Best Watering Holes

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by gear-guy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

Where are your favorite bars, watering holes, places to relax and enjoy a good drink? Establishments with great decor, ambiance, and always a good drink.

http://www.diamondbelle.com/ One of my favorite bars to visit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. bulldog1935

bulldog1935 Suspended

the only place I frequent would be Flying Saucer Pub - Tuesday night trivia night. We change our team name every week, because we win a $50 bar tab most weeks.

3. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

One of the best places in Baltimore to go for a good drink is Sean Bolan's. It's an Irish pub with a great atmosphere. Their signature drink is called the Dublin Apple, consisting of Jameson whiskey, apple juice and cranberry juice. Absolutely fantastic.

4. MK

MK Founder Staff Member Bartender

London: The Savoy

New York: Please Don't Tell, Death & Company

Sydney: Baxter Inn

Portland: Laurelhurst Market, El Goucho, Beaker & Flask

Los Angeles: Roosevelt Hotel, The Edison Bar

Chicago: Redhead Piano Bar

5. gear-guy

Thanks for the info on the Dublin apple, started making these and having trouble stopping. For mine I used Jameson, apple schnapps, and white cranberry juice. Came out excellent.

6. Here in my area I like going to:
    Hero's in Clairmont
    PJ's in Glendora
    BJ's in Covina
    Lucky Baldwins in Sierra Madre or Pasadena
    The Stuffed Sandwhich in San Gabriel (must buy food type liscense)

These are all strickly for their extensive and wonderful tap lists.

I rarely have hard liquor out in LA but the upstairs bartender at the Cicada Club does some swell drinks. The Edison is also superb.

7. gear-guy

Next time I am in L.A. I am going to have to look up the Edison. Looks like a great place to visit!

8. Evan Everhart

Evan Everhart A-List Customer

Check out Casey's Tavern! Sherman Way and Topanga! Charming yet delightfully kitschy pseudo-dive bar! My favorite and only bar.

If there's a liquor that you can think of, chances are that they have it within reason; a real grown-up bar!

$3 liquor drinks, 25 cent games of pool, a relatively extensive library - yes, you heard me right, an old juke box with a continually cycling selection of old standards and the like on 45s, each available for your listening pleasure for the nominal price of 50 cents per listen I believe, 1 or 2 nights a weeks classic jazz and blues standards played live by people who were there for it in the first place, if you swear and are obvious about it, you are thrown out, the bathrooms are so spotless you could just about eat off the floor if you were inclined, and the fans on the ceiling still have the old 1960s cigarette filter hoops on them! Oh, and you can get a huge plate of Indian food two doors down for only $5. if you're so inclined (I usually am). Oh, and if you leave at least a $5. tip on your first drink of the night at Casey's, you usually get double shots in your drinks for the rest of the night. Great Atmosphere, mellow, friendly, Cheap and Fun!

The only thing that's every changed, is that they took out their cigarette machine for some reason. Go fig?!

Try the brandy & soda in a high-ball glass there. It's Amazing! Also, ginger-ale, creme de menthe, piney gin, a twist of lime, over crushed ice in a high-ball glass with a straw. It's heavenly. Sometimes I have it with a dash of milk tossed in.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013