Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Dahlia

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Regarding Flyboys: Too bad this movie came out before someone could use those CGI effects for a movie adaptation of the DC Comics Enemy Ace comic book from the 1960s. The character of Hans Von Hammer (tormented German WWI fighter ace) would have been fantastic. Oh well...:(

Doh!

One Too Many
P. U.

Dahlia is bad on so many, many levels. Let me count the ways…

1. Hartnett was just as unconvincing here as he was in the trailer. Worse, in fact. I’m not sure I’ve seen any of his other work, but he cannot carry a picture; his narrator’s voice was weak and he doesn’t have much charisma. Maybe another 5 or 10 years of training will give him some.
  2. As much as I usually like Aaron Eckhart, here he really over-acted. I can only imagine it was at DePalma’s urging. And none of the cast had any chemistry, be it as friends, lovers -- or even enemies. It was almost as if they had only met each other for the first time in the morning, had a bagel, and then started shooting this thing.
  3. I read the book a long time ago, and it was a really good read. The movie, however, is a jumbled mess of convoluted scenes with a pretty hard-to-follow plot. I saw it with a friend of mine, and he was wondering why the rich family had an apparent obsession with The Joker (back story: the victim’s face was cut ear to ear, just like the lead character in The Man Who Laughs (1928), about a man who had a grin permanently carved into his face as a child. This film was also the real-life inspiration for the way The Joker looked in the Batman comics starting in 1939. So to recap: the audience here was supposed to remember the coroner commenting on the Dahlia’s face wounds, so by the end of the film they would be STUNNED that the family had a clown painting with the same grin and it apparently inspired a family member to do the same carve job. I guess.)
  4. On a similar note, I found it incredibly offensive that they used Elizabeth Short’s actual autopsy photos as background props. The most obvious one was visible during a close-up of some Dahlia headshots that Hartnett’s character found in his partner’s apartment. DePalma didn’t dwell on it, but it seems really disrespectful to use a real, dead woman’s photo in a fictionalized movie that pretends to “solve” her murder. A photo of the actress in ghoul make-up would have been much more appropriate.
  5. The hats all looked pretty bad. Hartnett’s (and others) brim was too small, and he kept fiddling with it like he’d never worn a fedora before they started to roll film (same thing with his trench coat). Every photo I’ve seen on this board of a member dressed up looks 1000% better than what’s onscreen in this big-budgeted motion picture. The costumer should never again work on a period piece.

I could go on, but you get the point: save your money and watch it on cable… or skip it entirely.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well Scarlett Johanssen would look good in a burlap sack. Those shoes though, and the suit with peplum? Gorgeous.
Yes, she always seems to look good. Did you see what she wore to the premiere? Beautiful dress. I will find picts unless already posted.
Found picts of her:
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz...pg?path=pgallery&path_key=Johansson, Scarlett

I have always been fascinated by the Black Dahlia. Poor thing, too be cut up like that is just terrible.

Is the movie that bad? It's not out here in Australia yet, and now I'm feeling a bit reluctant, but I'd still like to see for myself.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I enjoyed this movie. The actual murder played a very small part in the movie, and it has been fictionalized quite a bit. Still, if you liked L.A. Confidential you'll probably like this as well, again...a "fictionalized accout" this is not a documentary.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I saw The Black Dahlia last Monday night in an all but empty theatre. There were 7 people present - My wife and myself, two other couples, and one lone male. But it was a slow night for the entire movieplex - opening night for the county fair. There may have been a dozen cars in the parking lot for all six movies playing.

I thought the story was very befitting the traditional noir style, with complicated, multi-layered plots and sub-plots. Sure there were shortcomings with the styles of the day, and the actors may not have looked completely comfortable in their fedoras, but then remember these are modern actors who don't normally wear fedoras. This film is a period piece. Real 40s era film noirs were not. They were comtemporary pictures of their day, so they didn't have the extra burden of recreating an era gone by. The were living in it.

I thought the movie was a visual feast for any lover of vintage clothing, cars and decor. It was also an enjoyable watch. My wife even liked it, and she does not share my interest in classic film noir.

matei

One Too Many
I just got back from seeing "Black Dahlia". What a dreadful, awful, terrible film. It is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Josh Hartnett is the worst actor that has ever graced the silver screen, in my opinion. No charisma, no looks, no diction, nothing.

The set looked lame, and the costumes were naff. Yer man Hartnett's suit looked ridiculous, like he was some kind of cross between a Justin Timberlake wannabee and a '70s high school graduate on his way to his first job interview.

Only Hillary Swank was worth watching. Even Scarlett Johanssen, who I like, didn't do such a hot job.

It was such a bad film that it put me in a bad mood.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I've seen production stills, the autopsy scene in this one makes "The Silence of the Lambs" autopsy scene look mild in comparison. The "Blach Dahlia" is going to be intense.

Oh great. I am sure I would have enjoyed Silence of the Lambs more if it weren't for the pillow in front of my face. BUT I have convinced myself I will see Black Dahlia anyway!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Why-O-why could'nt this movie have been more like LA Confidential?
The worst part is that I really only wanted to see the dramatization of the zoot suit riots, but we arrived at the theater 15 minutes into the movie and the scene had already passed.:eusa_doh:

BJonas

One of the Regulars
UGH

My sister in law is one of those people who love the stupid gory putrefaction that Hollywood churns out regularly (some of her recent favorites: When a Stranger Calls and Final Destination 3 or 4 or whatever). I knew that I wasn't going to see this when she saw the shlocky, horror-esque trailer and enthused "That looks sooo good."

Thanks for confirming my hunch.

Marv

A-List Customer
I saw the movie yesterday and it was a disappointment not a patch on LA Confidential, however as mentioned before it was a feast for the eyes with all the vintage clothing, decor and automobiles but apart from that it was a bit of a wet fish. :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Crunk said:
... the actors may not have looked completely comfortable in their fedoras, but then remember these are modern actors who don't normally wear fedoras.

But in modern British films about the golden era, actors look quite comfortable in their period costumes. What do today's British actors have that ours lack? [huh]

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
But in modern British films about the golden era, actors look quite comfortable in their period costumes. What do today's British actors have that ours lack? [huh]

Support of someone with the passion about the topic. Just look at the tv shows

Holmes
Foyles War
Jeeves and Wooster

all top notch

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

Training. ;)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just watched True Confessions. Pretty good movie. There are a couple of scenes that are virtually the same as the Black Dahlia.
Not a mystery at all, more of straight up drama. Worth watching if you get the chance!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A warning to all

If you think DePalma's Black dahlia was bad DON'T rent a DVD called "The Black Dahlia" that came out Tuesday.
The acting and writing is atrocious but it's worse than that.
I usually watch a movie at least half through but this was so repugnant I ejected after about twenty minutes, fast scanning during part.
It seems to have very little to do with the 1947 case and it disturbing sadist violence on top of my other complaints.

Heed my warning,
The WOLF

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Disappointing to hear of the movie's apparent lameness.

I feel sort of weird - apparently, every other person in the world loves Scarlett Johansson, but she doesn't do a thing for me at all. Don't like her acting, don't like the way she looks, nothing. Don't know *why*, exactly, but I don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner