Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've noticed that there just does not seem to be that many Black fedora's with the wider brims and 5 inch crowns for sale on ebay or in the vintage stores. In fact the owner of a Vintage Store told me that the rarest fedora's she sees are the black wide brim ones. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just not looking in the right places. I'm not saying they never come up, but just rarely. I see the black stingy brims a lot and black cowboy hats but seldom do I see fedora's with 2 1/2 inch and up brims. I'm guessing they don't come up because there were not that popular and not that many sold. Is this correct? What do you retro experts think?

fedoralover

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I have noticed this as well my friend. It is hard to find nice vintage fedoras in black for some reason. You have to think about this though. Black being the darkest of all colors gets visibly dirty the quickest and I bet a lot of people are opt to just pitch the old hats away when they see they are dirty. I only have one vintage black, small brimed number. The felt quality is excellant as is the over all hat. I think I paid $15 or so in an antique store, this was year back mind you, since then I have not seen another black item in any sizes. My best advice is to keep looking all over, far and wide, they are out there, somewhere.:cool2:

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I actually like the black stingy brimmed. Though I would like a wide brimmed one, and figure I'd probably have to get a fed if I wanted to do that. And Josh, I see black lids on ebay all the time, just none with a wide brim . . . What the heck are you talking about?! :p

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Exactly that, I see black fedoras, just not with wide brims so I pay them attention cause I already have the black thin brim model fedora, don't need another. I was talking in the black with a wide brim since of the whole thing.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have

I have a Derby (al la Wright Bro's) in black as well as two Homburgs. I have no Fedora in black, but it was a choice this years's colors from Optimo.

Black is rather a night only or funeral color.
Yes, it goes with any dark (blue or gray) suit, but don't wear one with your summer white linnen suit.

Gray goes with most anything, and that is why it is my favorite color hat.

I will someday buy a black fedora.

I do have two BLACK top hats, one from Christy's of London, and a Rogers Peet collapsable. It is very cool.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Black is rather a night only or funeral color.

I disagree Kev, black is for everyday. Thats why there are so few of them. During the depression and years following a gentleman had to make do with the most combinations using a single hat. Black fit that bill. As you know, I wear a black Borsalino from the 40s almost daily and even with jeans & work shirts I get people stopping me on the street to compliment the hat.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No...

I didn't mean that they were ONLY for that! You bad guys wear black, and us good guys will stick to white! HAHAHAH

Seriously, the black does look good with almost everything...and they HIDE dirt better than any other color hat. Unless you had some silver or white ash blowing!

Unlike a black hat, light colors (fawn, dove, mouse...etc) will show dirt and finger prints where the black will not!

My hat is off to you Art!

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Black Hats

My first purchase from OPTIMO was a Tuxedo Black Manhattan Fedora. I went with black as my first felt hat because I did not know when I was going to be able to afford another fine hat. It seemed to me that Black would go with just about everything. I have a lot of black, gray, navy blue in my wardrobe.

When I was placing the order by phone Graham said Black was a good choice for my first fedora. He said everyone should have a least one black hat in their collection.

Since then I have purchased a Monticristi Belaire and have placed another order for a Graphite Gray Manhattan. The hat won't be ready until the end of January since Graham is in Australia on vacation. I agree with Andy, gray does go with just about everything also.

I am expecting a Michaelson Borsalino back from OPTIMO today. I sent it to OPTIMO to have it cleaned and reblocked to a MITCHUM style. I also had the edge bound. If I like the way the MITCHUM block looks on me I will change my order of the Graphite Gray to that block. After that I will order another Monticristi in the same style that Minnesota Jones just got. I have a Scala Straw hat that looks very similar to his that looks good on me but I would like to have OPTIMO make one for me in a finer straw.

When does it all stop?????

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You see some pics from the 20's and 30's of guys wearing black fedoras with tuxedos. Black Homburgs were becoming popular in the early 30 according to Esquire.

I have 2 vintage black bowlers and 1 black top hat from the 30's.

No black fedora or homburg.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I have a black Akubra - I can't remember the name of the hat - I think it was "The Boss." Initially, it didn't look much like a fedora, but after I got it back from Fedora, it looks terrific. It has a 3" brim and a 6" unbashed crown. I wanted Steve to take the taper out of the crown, and that he did :D

I have not even shaped this hat because it was supposed to be shaped for the Crocodile Dundee look, but I found the correct hat in the same style ("Down Under"). The felt is a bit thicker than I like, but one of these days I will get around to bashing and shaping it....:(

What is a good color for a ribbon on a black hat? I don't want white, yellow or pink, so don't even go there. I was thinking that a blue satin ribbon would be unique, but Fedora made one from a snakeskin belt (I believe) that was awesome. Not as dressy if there is such a thing as "dressy snake." I do not want leather since the hat weighs enough as it is...

Rundquist

A-List Customer
It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s kind of ironic (in my case) that a black hat is really unappealing to me, considering that I really like the color black. It seems less versatile to me in a hat (I know that many would disagree). I kind of agree with Andy in that I think of it more for real formal occasions and funerals. Cheers

kent

New in Town
I've always been quite fond of Black. It is extremely versatile, and for the most part, people comment on it more than any other color. With my limited number of fedoras, it definitely gets the most milage. As for formality, it doesn't have too much of an issue with me, as I'm normally dressed up to begin with.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I can see from you photo Kent that you have a feather in your lid. Do you always wear feathers in your fedoras? The reason I am asking is because I have always taken them out of hats that I find, I am not a big fan of the feather in my hats, but that's just me. It looks good with your maybe I shall give it a try.:cool2:

kent

New in Town
I kinda like how the feathers draw attention to the bow. I lost that feather the other night mysteriously at a Christmas party. I don't really have a preference, with or without.. as they both seem to look good. I wanted to replace them with cardinal feathers, or bluejay feathers at one point. I guess they stay in the fedoras mostly because I'll lose them if they come out.

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Black Fedora for funeral

So Rundquist,

I noticed your standard quote from the St. James Infirmary and I was thinking....should that be a BLACK Stetson hat?

Just wondering.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Again and again, I've seen some really fantastic vintage fedoras sell for near-peanuts on eBay. We're talking top-of-the-line, golden era Stetsons in excellent condition (and larger sizes, too).

What do these bargains have in common? The fedoras were BLACK.

Back in the golden era, black fedoras were almost as popular as brown or tan ones. With today's eBay buyers, however, black doesn't seem to cut the mustard.

My questions to you are: Why do you think that vintage (pre-'60s) black fedoras don't sell for the same high prices as their grey or brown cousins? Do you own (and wear) any black fedoras? If not, why not?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps they figure the color is too formal? I don't really know. I have yet to see a decent black fedora with a tall crown and at least a 2 1/2" brim. I figure everyone else is looking for that same hat in 7 3/8!lol

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner