Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Hi Guy's

Just got this in, had to route through 100+ hats but thought it looked quite nice needs a clean
8571668951_414b3210ce_z.jpg

8572767854_85efe0caec_z.jpg

I'm lacking in the knowledge department but made for the German market I think

luckyluciano

New in Town
what modern borsalino is good in quality? need HELP

couldnt find any old or vintage borsalino for sale. so ima go with the modern borsalino and i heard about there not that great of a
quality anymore compared to back then. so which modern or nowadays borsalino fedora is good? como, verdi , etc?? thank guys

-30-

A-List Customer
I cannot tell you the model of Borsa that was bought last August because no model name was on the hat, nor was there one on

the receipt of sale. The price of course was, it being $380.00 + tax. What to look for is Quality of Construction.

The problems with the above hat, and you may have already read of these on another thread are:

1) Ribbon above the brim, leaving a gap between the brim & the crown.

2) Sweatband stitched to the crown, although not a Big Deal, with the above No 1, the thread/stitching is visible.

3) The hatband is stitched to the crown in three spots, the knotting of which is quite apparent and with them having "tails", quite sloppy.

4) The ribbon's bow has similar problems, there being nine knots with tails showing.

5) The lining of black satin although fine in appearance, is glued-in.

The above noted problems were also present on another (same company) hat belonging to a friend.

Another hat, a Canadian Biltmore, was shown to me this past October; no stiching problems - $150.00!

Given the price, no, no, taken the cost difference between the manufacturers, the Biltmore was not only a bargain,

but a finer quality hat. (I was so fed-up, I had a hat custom made locally; it wasn't the money, it was The Quality that I was after.)

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

Just got this in, had to route through 100+ hats but thought it looked quite nice needs a clean
I'm lacking in the knowledge department but made for the German market I think

If it was made for the German market it would have either Echter Borsalino or Export Qualität (later) on the sweatband. By the way a very nice Borsalino!

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
If it was made for the German market it would have either Echter Borsalino or Export Qualität (later) on the sweatband. By the way a very nice Borsalino!

It has both, Echter Borsalino then Export Qualität written above that, had to ebay it yet another not in my size but sure it will find a good home!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm almost in the brotherhood.

Snagged this fresh looking Borso last night on the 'bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fed...3wvfZvelpTWmVAiLOoU5Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

borso1_zps5a233875.jpg

borso2_zpsb2a9f527.jpg

borso3_zps61d68981.jpg

borso4_zps139c8cf1.jpg

(seller's photos)

So, I've read through about half of this thread last night and I gather that it can be difficult to date Borsos without looking at the stickers under the sweat/liner; and as this one hasn't arrived yet, a more definitive date might not be possible. But if anyone has a guess, I'd be greatly obliged. Garrett thought maybe 50's, but another guess was 70's?

I've seen a few other Loungers with their "Torinos" but this one is very different. I haven't seen this liner in any of the pages I clicked on in this thread. Also, the "Torino" script looks slightly different (as well, on other lounger's hats, the first quotation mark was on the bottom, not on the top). I assume that the Felted/Cav edge means that it's not post-buyout modern. I know that the black sweatband pushes it towards the more modern end, but have also seen older Borsos with black sweatbands. So I'm lost!

Any educated guesses would be much appreciated. I will be sure to post more pictures when it arrives.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Jared. As you've seen dating the stray borso can be difficult and I won't embarrass myself by hazarding a guess. It's got the spiffy corrugated sweat so that's nice. Boxes are fairly rare so you scored there too. The box looks fairly modern so if it's bespoke to the hat that could be a hint.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
yttclothing, very nice old Barsalino, maybe from the 50s, looks very good! My Congrats.

Jared, that is a fine and special looking Borsalino. The shape, brim and dimensions looks great.
Congrats to that excellent find!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gents, I'm pretty excited for this one. I was shocked to win this one. All my other attempts at getting Borsos off eBay have ended unsuccessfully with sniped bids, or hats that ended up too far out of my price range. For some strange reason, nobody else bid on this one. I just got the tracking number in the mail, so it's on it's way to me.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
All the caveats about modern Bosalinos apply. Reputable seller, they're in my hometown. It's not a cowboy hat, no. But when I think mobster, I think tall crown, short brim.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
For the 'Mobster' looks, you would be thinking of a hat with the dimensions of the 20's/30's.

Something with straighter sides, and a shorter brim, like my 1930's hat I have pictured here.

09810.jpg

You can always have that hat reblocked to have a straighter profile with minimal taper (how straight the crown is). You can also do what many of us here do, which is go into the world of vintage, and actually aquire a fedora from the 20's-40's.

Not a bad looking Borsalino though!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Sorry bud, I don't think this one will ever be up for sale. This one, and another both came from the same store, so I am holding on to them because it is pretty cool to own two hats from the same area & time period.

I agree with Justin (splintercelz). The newer ones are OK, but you can sometimes get a bargain for a vintage Borso on Ebay or Etsy, and the 30's through 50's hats are more the styling you like. I haven't worn a modern Borso but my understanding through this forum is the vintage ones are heads above in quality (so to speak).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Justin (splintercelz). The newer ones are OK, but you can sometimes get a bargain for a vintage Borso on Ebay or Etsy, and the 30's through 50's hats are more the styling you like. I haven't worn a modern Borso but my understanding through this forum is the vintage ones are heads above in quality (so to speak).

Indeed, patience is a virtue. I finally grabbed a good deal on my Borso after a few months of searching and waiting patiently. I would give eBay another shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80