Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

paratroopertim

New in Town
Borsalino actually contacted me back and I told them I was being told the after market value was $55 to a 100 and they said we cannot tell you specifics due to the fact we are in the business. I was told to never sell that hat for that low of a price it is woth a substantial amount more.They said the conservation of this piece was phenomenal. So I told them I love it I am keeping it. I did get a date also.The funny thing is the box its self is selling for more than you said the hat is worth. THAT IS AWESOME I CAN SELL THE BOX AND KEEP THE LID.!!! :)

Last edited:
Some advice please gents. I am quite taken with the look of this rather shabby looking Borsalino and was wondering firstly is it worth a $105 dollars to my door? Secondly how might I lick it back into shape? Thank you.

Jim Flynn, the hat should be easy enough to get back in shape. The brim might need to be reflanged by a hatter, but it might also respond to some steaming. The one I just got looked like someone had used it for a seat cushion, and I managed to get it into the shape it is holding it over a kettle of boiling water. I know it's not the greatest, but it really was flattened out. That hat you are looking at is in way nicer shape to start with.

As to the buck05, that's totally on you and what you're comfortable paying, or how bad you want the hat. If you do take the hat to a hatter to be refreshed, expect to spend at least another $25 to $50, so factor that in to your financial plan.

timeless

New in Town
Hello, I am new to vintage Borsalino,have acquired a diamante from ebay and was wondering if anyone here has an image of the wind trolley stowed in the correct location when not in use on this hat? I confess total ignorance about the the wind trolley feature.

I have picked up two Borsalinos on Ebay in the past few months. They are definitely not vintage. One is a Giuseppe from about 2000 and the other is a Como (mid brown colour) of unknown year. I have 12 fedoras of various manufacturers and I love my Borsalinos. I find the felt to be so light, supple and soft. The whip stitch on the brim is my favourite feature. To my untrained eye they do seem superior to most of my other hats, Akubras, Biltmores, Robert Hall, Stetsons and Beaver brand. Why is 1980 set as the year or era that Borsalinos declined in quality? In what ways do the "vintage" Borsalino felts differ from the current offerings?

Hello, I am new to vintage Borsalino,have acquired a diamante from ebay and was wondering if anyone here has an image of the wind trolley stowed in the correct location when not in use on this hat? I confess total ignorance about the the wind trolley feature.

Understanding the wind trolley can be confusing if it has arrived to you unwound and dangling off the brim. Designs differ, but on most, the cord is sewn to the hat at the bow and the button is at the end and part of slip knotted loop. You would expand this loop like a lasso until it is large enough to fit around the crown of the hat. The cord rests at the flange of the brim (where the brim meets the crown at the bottom edge of the ribbon) and the button should be located somewhere to the rear of center on the bow. Pulling on the button gently should snug the cord up and move the button to a nice position near the rear end of the bow.

I have picked up two Borsalinos on Ebay in the past few months. They are definitely not vintage. One is a Giuseppe from about 2000 and the other is a Como (mid brown colour) of unknown year. I have 12 fedoras of various manufacturers and I love my Borsalinos. I find the felt to be so light, supple and soft. The whip stitch on the brim is my favourite feature. To my untrained eye they do seem superior to most of my other hats, Akubras, Biltmores, Robert Hall, Stetsons and Beaver brand. Why is 1980 set as the year or era that Borsalinos declined in quality? In what ways do the "vintage" Borsalino felts differ from the current offerings?

The Borsalino factory in Alessandria was relocated in the 1980s, hence the tendency to speak of this time as a marker in the company's transition to modern methods and materials. But like all hat companies, Borsalino experienced great changes in customs and fashion earlier in the 20th Century and their hats evolved in response to these changes. Borsalino and some other European makers are generally seen by vintage enthusiasts here to have retained more of their look and feel later into the 20th Century than did their American brothers. If you enjoy softness and formability of felt, a 1980s Borsalino will likely delivery a more pleasing hat than a Stetson from the same era. Some of these felt characteristics remain in their current production too, though the sweatbands and liners are (in my opinion) a disappointment.

This thread has many beautiful and illustrative examples when you have time to explore.

timeless

New in Town
Thanks for the assistance on the wind trolley! I had no idea where the button placement was, and am amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site! Hope I am still welcome here if in need of info such as age, etc.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Borsalino factory moved into its present location around 1986. One easy way to tell whether the hats is pre 86 is to look at the leather sweatband. pre 86 hats will say "Original House" in English. When they moved, the stamp was converted to italian and will say "Antica Casa" . The linings inside after 86 were glued in; not sewn into the hat.

paratroopertim

New in Town
I have finally learned my stingy is from the early 40s. I truly want to thank everyone for all the input and time they have given me on this subject. I appreciate it more than you van imagine. I will have more wonderful hat to share in the coming days. I surer hope that I will still be welcome here as I pursue my new collecting endeavor.
10443543_911515452226643_1141408642935907343_n.jpg

Last edited:

RJR

We look forward to your review when the next one arrives.Where are you in DSM,I'm in WDM.(1/505 PIR,82nd A/B,61-63)

I have finally learned my stingy is from the early 40s. I truly want to thank everyone for all the input and time they have given me on this subject. I appreciate it more than you van imagine. I will have more wonderful hat to share in the coming days. I surer hope that I will still be welcome here as I pursue my new collecting endeavor.
10443543_911515452226643_1141408642935907343_n.jpg

Early 1940s? How did you confirm that time period? I would never have thought that to be the case, so I can't help but be curious. Please don't tell me I was wrong (again... that would be TWICE)!

Well deserved skepticism Charlie... closer to the Beatles than the Andrews Sisters. A photo of the manufacturing tag behind the sweatband would confirm.

Well deserved skepticism Charlie... closer to the Beatles than the Andrews Sisters. A photo of the manufacturing tag behind the sweatband would confirm.
It's posted in another thread and it doesn't have the Borsalino name on the side. If Borsalino is saying that they are clueless (but not surprising).

Last edited:
333a5732f9b8ee3f3c2429d275c6c944.jpg

Glad to see you Alan.
Here's a shot from my recent find.
Best I can make out, the top line of numbers reads
70BR 54852
I can't make out any of the writing on the bottom row at all.
Any thoughts?

Glad to see you Alan.
Here's a shot from my recent find.
Best I can make out, the top line of numbers reads
70BR 54852
I can't make out any of the writing on the bottom row at all.
Any thoughts?

Not Alan but the numbers are not helpful in this case. They become relevant in the mid 70s. The Borsalino name usually points to early 50s or earlier.

Last edited:
Cool. Thank you Steve. That echoes what Guardian Enzo estimated earlier.
I am pretty happy with it regardless of it's age. Even in the shape it's in, I can see why these hats are so highly regarded.

Last edited:

There has been a good deal of debate about the paper labels. Some here do not agree about using the Borsalino name for general dating. If you go back in this thread the topic is covered. Personally I think there might be a cloudy transition period (early - mid 50s) but I haven't seen the name on any 1960s or later hats.

Last edited:
Not Alan but the numbers are not helpful in this case. They become relevant in the mid 70s. The Borsalino name usually points to early 50s or earlier.

The Borsalino name on the tag is about the best marker I know for the popular post-war hats sold in the U.S. and brought home from Italy, as somewhere in the mid 1950s, it was gone. An earlier variant had a separate size sticker pasted on or near the larger label. This might have been used pre-war, though I am hesitant here. Steve would be the best source of information on label characteristics in this era. Later hats have additional clues, as the label changed and even included a year notation in the numerals at some point.

The Borsalino name on the tag is about the best marker I know for the popular post-war hats sold in the U.S. and brought home from Italy, as somewhere in the mid 1950s, it was gone. An earlier variant had a separate size sticker pasted on or near the larger label. This might have been used pre-war, though I am hesitant here. Steve would be the best source of information on label characteristics in this era. Later hats have additional clues, as the label changed and even included a year notation in the numerals at some point.

Yes I went back and added some information. The separate size label appears to be late 30s early 40s European market. I have seen some really old labels with totally different formats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn