Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Continuing the post for my new Torino

See previous pictures please...

The crown is 4 1/2 inches high...and the brim seems to be about 2."

Inside are the following numbers: G41210004 (pictured) and another label under the band has the following numbers 82-61143. From the way the label is typed, I'm getting more and more confident the 82 number indicates it was from 1982.

Below are the requested pictures of the inside band and what is under it.

photo8.jpg
photo5.jpg
photo6.jpg
photo7.jpg

photo9.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
See previous pictures please...

The crown is 4 1/2 inches high...and the brim seems to be about 2."

Inside are the following numbers: G41210004 (pictured) and another label under the band has the following numbers 82-61143. From the way the label is typed, I'm getting more and more confident the 82 number indicates it was from 1982.

These round-cornered white stickers(not the earlier typed-perforated stamps), beginning at some point in the 70's and continuing forward do indeed seem to be literal date codes.
The earlier ones may have cryptic codes but we lack the means to make them comprehensible.
Quoting BESDOR in 2005 :
"Borsalino hats are not that difficult to date . All hats made after 1975 will have the date printed on the white sticker under the leather . It is the number on the upper right hand side .
This practice continues today . "

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
So, is a round-cornered white sticker evident on Brian's hat?

Yes, See the upper left corner of his first photo "Mogano"(the color Mahogany) peaking out under the edge of the liner and his reference to the number 82-61143 then compare to the sticker photo of my hat. Although just barely seen, the location of the color name on the sticker and the identical typeface (note A and G for reference) and digits of code agree. If fully revealed it would be more obvious.
3728478358_9970b29190.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
rlk said:
Yes, See the upper left corner of his first photo "Mogano"(the color Mahogany) peaking out under the edge of the liner and his reference to the number 82-61143 then compare to the sticker photo of my hat. Although just barely seen, the location of the color name on the sticker and the identical typeface (note A and G for reference) and digits of code agree. If fully revealed it would be more obvious.
3728478358_9970b29190.jpg

Yes mine looks exactly like yours. Sorry i couldnt get a pic of it. Im happy that I have a hat - although not vintage - is of outstanding quality. Anyone guess what the original price for this hat might have been?

lc1484

One of the Regulars
I'm joining the club

I picked up this Borsalino on ebay for $110...it is practically new...the only way I found it was worn was on the tie on the sweat, the white bow has a little stain obviously from wearing, but what a butter soft hat, nice dark grey leather sweat.
inside liner says "Argento" "Nero"... and stamped "Amalfi".

Larry

283664494_tp.jpg
283663518_tp.jpg
283664144_tp.jpg
283663981_tp.jpg
283664325_tp.jpg
photo-1.jpg
photo.jpg

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
ledsled said:
Don't be jealous, as I did not get them all at once. It's been months, stretching into years of obsessions and trickery! Timing the deliveries and then rushing home to get the box before anyone else is around.... then hiding the hat in a safe place and introducing it's existence at just the right time.... and let's not mention the budgetary manipulations.... so what's an overdue utility bill as we approach the winter months? lol

I just read this, my MO exactly:rolleyes: , with the addition of practicing my answers to the following two questions;

1) Q; Is that a new hat ? A; Nooo, I've had this for awhile. (a day qualifies as "awhile" ) :)

2) Q; How much did THAT one cost ? A; You REALLY don't want to know. ( translation, I REALLY don't want to tell you how much it cost) :eek:

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Me too!!!! I just won a 40's Stetson royal Deluxe Open road on ebay that cost me more than double what I've spent in the past and I have no idea how I'm going to get it past my wife.

Is there a cot in the back of the Fedora Lounge for me to sleep on?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
My first

:essen: I drool over stuffed pasta and since today I have a hat to go with it.. it's a used specimen with no info on or under the dark brown/black-sweatband other than Borsalino Grand Prix Paris 1900 and Antica Casa Fondata de neu 1857 if I read that correctly. I don't know what model-name it is, but that's fine cause I'm starting to like it since it got in. Buff-Tan-colour.. hard to see on the picture (also posted in New Hats thread).. Have to rebash the crown and shape the brim some more..

I'm only a novice hat-addict with only one Borsalino hat.. do I have to bring in a minimum number of Borsalino's or a very special very rare very vintage one, or can I sign up? ;)

borsalino.jpg

Borsalino

Here is another Borsalino made for the German market. This is a new old stock from 1979. The brim is slightly over 2 inches with a 5 1/2 inch open crown. The typical pliable felt is greyish and has some interesting stitching which I find appealing ( probably in the minority :) ). Also like the liner color.

3754656907_475809109e_b.jpg

3754657057_8fb2da6689_b.jpg

3755457784_f318af4e20_b.jpg

3755458036_de12c29153_b.jpg

3754657357_4d783d5edb_b.jpg

club30s

New in Town
need help with Italian size ID

Hi Guys,

need your help with old borsalino an Italian one with Antica Casa marked.
If the hat is older Borsalino with Antica Casa and has a size 7 IN THE FRONT under the sweat band is that safe to say it is punti size?

I mean the US market Old Borsalino's with Original House script usually have sizes in the back.

Please let me know what you borsalino lovers have to say. Especially those people that own Italian vintage ones and can kindly confirm this.

Many thanks

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Here is another Borsalino made for the German market. This is a new old stock from 1979.

Interesting to note that, in 1979, the corrugation under the front of the sweat is still there...

Cheers,
JtL

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
My first Borsalino

I posted this in the new hats thread but I'm hoping to get some opinions from the knowledgable Borso Bros* as to where this hat might fit into the quality hierarchy of Borsalinos

hats2012.jpg

hats2011.jpg

hats2008.jpg

hats2007.jpg

hats2010.jpg

hats2005.jpg

hats2005-1.jpg

hats2001-1.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Borsalino, light grey. Crown is 5 1/2", brim 2 7/8"(!) with Cav edge. Size is indicated as 6 3/4. The measurements the seller gave me shifted the size more toward the 6 7/8 range, but it is really more of a 6 3/4, so it's a bit of a high rider.

Any guess about the age of the hat? The original price tag of $20 is still attached.

Borsalino-Grey.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats