Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

40Cal

One Too Many
Hey Robert: the Who wrote a song back in the day...”See me...Touch me...Feel me...”. They must have seen this hat!! That crown says “Bend me anyway you want”, “I’ll be there”. Stellar hat! Late 50’s?? Merry Christmas. Be well. Bowen
It's quite a nice hat, Bowen. The felt is wonderful. Thin too. I don't know how to put a date on this one. '50 's sounds about right to me. The dimensions are more 1940's though.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
hew fellas, i was cosidering getting one of these, but why is the top of theses hats always soft and squishy, looking , is the fur felt thin and wimpy

hew fellas, i was cosidering getting one of these, but why is the top of theses hats always soft and squishy, looking , is the fur felt thin and wimpy

That's the way a good fur felt hat should be. If you are accustomed to modern, preformed hats that have had their crown's creased by pressing them into place, you're missing out. Vintage and quality modern hats can be creased by the wearer to suit their tastes. A good, lightweight, thin felt hat which is malleable and accepts a crease is a great thing. Far from wimpy, the felt on a good hat, though thinner, will be strong, dense, and have a great feel ("hand") to it.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
so your saying thes hats can be made into any shape simply by hand, so every time one grabs it the shape has to be redone, also would hat stiffener hold it better

That's the way a good fur felt hat should be. If you are accustomed to modern, preformed hats that have had their crown's creased by pressing them into place, you're missing out. Vintage and quality modern hats can be creased by the wearer to suit their tastes. A good, lightweight, thin felt hat which is malleable and accepts a crease is a great thing. Far from wimpy, the felt on a good hat, though thinner, will be strong, dense, and have a great feel ("hand") to it.
+1 Preach it brother!!

so your saying thes hats can be made into any shape simply by hand, so every time one grabs it the shape has to be redone, also would hat stiffener hold it better

No, a good felt hat should hold it's shape once creased. Some of them are soft enough a bit of knocking about can make the crease a little wonky, but some of us like the randomness of such a crease. Hats, vintage and modern, come in different qualities, thicknesses, and stiffness. I have vintage hats that are fairly stiff, and vintage hats that are soft, pliable, and thin. Once you've handled a number of them, you will better understand.

You will see some on the lounge refer to the moldability of a vintage hat, and often describe that is shapes "like clay." It will take the crease you put in it and hold it. If you wish to change it, it will take that one too. It is a very desirable feature of vintage hats.

No, a good felt hat should hold it's shape once creased. Some of them are soft enough a bit of knocking about can make the crease a little wonky, but some of us like the randomness of such a crease. Hats, vintage and modern, come in different qualities, thicknesses, and stiffness. I have vintage hats that are fairly stiff, and vintage hats that are soft, pliable, and thin. Once you've handled a number of them, you will better understand.

You will see some on the lounge refer to the moldability of a vintage hat, and often describe that is shapes "like clay." It will take the crease you put in it and hold it. If you wish to change it, it will take that one too. It is a very desirable feature of vintage hats.

Don't forget that vintage felt won't crack, fade, chip, peel, warp, yellow, blister, or tease the baby. All seriousness aside, though, @Philipe, they really don't make them like they used to.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Took a chance on this beauty without knowing the size and guess what.... too small. Stamped 4 1/2 inside the sweat and 4 on the paper label. Has anyone seen this liner? I haven't been able to find a comparison anywhere.

View attachment 99226 View attachment 99227 View attachment 99228 View attachment 99229

That logo was initially designed by Frederico Cusin for GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro's Zenit model hat. It won him first prize in a design competition. GB Borsalino was absorbed into the main Borsalino brand in the late 1930s. It appears they've reused the image over the years.

"Federico Cusin, born in Venice in 1875, was an elementary teacher, but at the same time a valid artist; he exhibited works appreciated during his career at the Venice Biennale and at the Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation. He was an eclectic, traditionalist, cultured, imaginative and above all ironic observer of life in its manifold manifestations. His name is still unknown in the art world, despite his work as an engraver, graphic artist and painter that continued, uninterrupted and fruitful, for many decades"

From a GB Borsalino Zenit book I am overdue on posting here (in the process of translating it).
image.jpeg

Brass display stand
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That logo was initially designed by Frederico Cusin for GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro's Zenit model hat. It won him first prize in a design competition. GB Borsalino was absorbed into the main Borsalino brand in the late 1930s. It appears they've reused the image over the years.

"Federico Cusin, born in Venice in 1875, was an elementary teacher, but at the same time a valid artist; he exhibited works appreciated during his career at the Venice Biennale and at the Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation. He was an eclectic, traditionalist, cultured, imaginative and above all ironic observer of life in its manifold manifestations. His name is still unknown in the art world, despite his work as an engraver, graphic artist and painter that continued, uninterrupted and fruitful, for many decades"

From a GB Borsalino Zenit book I am overdue on posting here (in the process of translating it).
View attachment 99881

Brass display stand
View attachment 99884

View attachment 99887
That is great information, Tonio. Can't wait for the complete book!

65 Classic

Practically Family

View attachment 99881

Brass display stand
View attachment 99884

View attachment 99887

Great history lesson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner