Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Found a new location for vintage hats this friday; a thrifting store (which I never knew about) not too far from where I live actually. The kind lady who was helping me, let me rummage through the unsorted goods and I could have been there all day (if my wife wouldn't have been with me). Came out with twelve hats: 11 Borsalinos and a Stetson (and there certainly were more there). The wife was not as amused as I was;)
Anyway: I came away with three borsalinos in black (nero), three in blue (mirtillo), two in brown and three in grey. I'll be working my way up to the more interesting ones. First the blacks. Modern borsalino in black, size 57, raw edge brim at 7,5 cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Unlined, but I think it must have had one at one time.

borsalino ner0 57_2.jpg
borsalino ner0 57_1.jpg
borsalino ner0 57_3.jpg
borsalino ner0 57_6.jpg
borsalino ner0 57_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Found a new location for vintage hats this friday; a thrifting store (which I never knew about) not too far from where I live actually. The kind lady who was helping me, let me rummage through the unsorted goods and I could have been there all day (if my wife wouldn't have been with me). Came out with twelve hats: 11 Borsalinos and a Stetson (and there certainly were more there). The wife was not as amused as I was;)
Anyway: I came away with three borsalinos in black (nero), three in blue (mirtillo), two in brown and three in grey. I'll be working my way up to the more interesting ones. First the blacks. Modern borsalino in black, size 57, raw edge brim at 7,5 cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Unlined, but I think it must have had one at one time.

borsalino-ner0-57_2-jpg.102086
Bravo Stefan. 13 hats are a luxurious loot, better a very deep raid :)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
That is a magnificent find, Daniele. A real piece of hatting history. No better place for it to go to than Steve.
You are absolutely right, Steve is the depositary of the stamps for linings and in this case, the sweatband.
In the first days of January, the Italian market showed a particular propensity to sell many items related to hats.
Something you'll see next week, however, hats for sale are few and at "fancy" prices

Second one is more interesting. Borsalino in black, size 58. Bound brim at 6cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Liner with onionskin/oilskin protector (really like these). Made for the German market (Export Qualität). Label points to a date between 1955 and 1965. Odd thing is that its windcord doesn't seem to have a loop with which to tie it.

borsalino ner0 58_02.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_01.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_03.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_04.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_05.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_06.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_07.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_08.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_09.jpg
borsalino ner0 58_10.jpg

RJR

View attachment 102086 View attachment 102087 View attachment 102088 View attachment 102089 View attachment 102090
Quite a goldmine,congrats.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Third black one. Borsalino Export Qualität Gran Lusso nero in size 59. Bound brim at 5,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Another one with the onionskin/oilskin liner. Someone wrote 57 on it as a size, but the label says different (the label's right).

View attachment 102151 View attachment 102153 View attachment 102154 View attachment 102155 View attachment 102156 View attachment 102157 View attachment 102158 View attachment 102159 View attachment 102160
Stefan, wow man, how do you find these hat heavens? Congrats. Hope your wife knows how lucky she is and vice-versa [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Stefan, wow man, how do you find these hat heavens? Congrats. Hope your wife knows how lucky she is and vice-versa [emoji4]

Steve, thanks. I'll tell her that. As for the hat heavens: it takes a bit of searching. Holland has quite a solid organisation for collecting old clothes (several organisations actually). These deliver collected goods to only two or three wholesellers. These wholesellers are active all over Europe collecting and sorting out clothes. They in turn are the supplier for all these vintage stores and boutiques (and quite a lot gets exported to Africa I've read). Well, part of the collection consists of hats and you can actually buy mens' felt hats by the kilo! That is to say: bags of either 25 or a 100 kilo! Don't know the price yet, but I'm on it. Problem is that you will probaly end up with 90-99% worthless hats.
The location I found friday was someone who bought from these wholesellers and had three or four bags of these hats lying around. Only downside is that they don't treat the hats the way we collectors and afficionados like to see (but hats are tough, thankfully)!
Now if I really want an argument with my wife I can go and try to order a bag of 100 kilo hats!

Before we get to the Mirtillo hats of friday's haul, here's an intermezzo. Borsalino Colombo in the colour Angico (brown), size 60 (6 1/2 punti). Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown at 10,5 cm at the pinch. Velour finish. Very interesting piece, because I'm having this conversation with Steve (Mayserwegener) who pointed out that Borsalino only picked up special finishes after the war and never really specialized in that area the way Hückel did (or Fléchet for that matter). This Colombo is an early example of a Borsalino special finish, because it can be dated to 1950 at least; there was a newspaper with that date behind the sweat. It could in theory even be earlier than that. It has the label with coloured edge too. This one will go to a certain Italian gentleman we all know.

borsalino angico_02.jpg
borsalino angico_01.jpg
borsalino angico_03.jpg
borsalino angico_04.jpg
borsalino angico_05.jpg
borsalino angico_06.jpg

Third one of the Mirtillos. The best one really. Borsalino Export Qualität Gran Lusso in Mirtillo. Size 57, with a triple stitched raw edge brim at 5,5cm and crown at 10,5 cm at the pinch. Shark gill bow and windcord. The retailer Dallüge of Hannover was a furrier who did other clothing and hats as well. The company trademark with the bear refers to their fur trade.

borsalino mirtill dall_02.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_01.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_03.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_04.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_05.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_06.jpg
borsalino mirtill dall_07.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Steve, thanks. I'll tell her that. As for the hat heavens: it takes a bit of searching. Holland has quite a solid organisation for collecting old clothes (several organisations actually). These deliver collected goods to only two or three wholesellers. These wholesellers are active all over Europe collecting and sorting out clothes. They in turn are the supplier for all these vintage stores and boutiques (and quite a lot gets exported to Africa I've read). Well, part of the collection consists of hats and you can actually buy mens' felt hats by the kilo! That is to say: bags of either 25 or a 100 kilo! Don't know the price yet, but I'm on it. Problem is that you will probaly end up with 90-99% worthless hats.
The location I found friday was someone who bought from these wholesellers and had three or four bags of these hats lying around. Only downside is that they don't treat the hats the way we collectors and afficionados like to see (but hats are tough, thankfully)!
Now if I really want an argument with my wife I can go and try to order a bag of 100 kilo hats!
Though tempting, I wouldn't recommend the 100kgs. Wives can only take so much :)
Thanks for the info, Stefan. Very interesting. Happy hat hunting!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here’s a fine example of a mid century vintage Borsalino that I just restored .All the interior markings appear in liner and embossed at front of sweatband of hat. Liner and sweat are excellent as this hat appeared to have been worn a lot ,which helped to preserve the sweat from drying out . Silk liner is exceptional too as is onion skin and all graphics. Rare large size Punti 7 or USA 7 1/2. Brim was 2 7/8 but I carefully trimmed off a 1/8 and finished with a single stitch around the edge so it would flange better. Also replaced the crown ribbon w a vintage silk 1 3/8 grosgrain as the 3/4 black original was shot. Finally over the past couple of weeks I used copious amounts of steam as well as quite a bit of stiffener to get the felt back to hold a shape that would not collapse when handled . A Sweet summer time hat in lieu of a Panama now as the light avorio or ash grey compliments a range of clothing colors .
00e9931f513a50d6cd055512daaec6b3.jpg
7cd7f829bc70f71fde785eaa590c68dd.jpg
b67abdceed07c1d4051a6859ec6ee077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here’s a fine example of a mid century vintage Borsalino that I just restored .All the interior markings appear in liner and embossed at front of sweatband of hat. Liner and sweat are excellent as this hat appeared to have been worn a lot ,which helped to preserve the sweat from drying out . Silk liner is exceptional too as is onion skin and all graphics. Rare large size Punti 7 or USA 7 1/2. Brim was 2 7/8 but I carefully trimmed off a 1/8 and finished with a single stitch around the edge so it would flange better. Also replaced the crown ribbon w a vintage silk 1 3/8 grosgrain as the 3/4 black original was shot. Finally over the past couple of weeks I used copious amounts of steam as well as quite a bit of stiffener to get the felt back to hold a shape that would not collapse when handled . A Sweet summer time hat in lieu of a Panama now as the light avorio or ash grey compliments a range of clothing colors .
6de46bfa3f37eb08c78c94f8fe653d43.jpg
2a3f88de070f8f378201bbbe1a9d156b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks fantastic, Bond! Could you post more pictures of this hat (the insides and all)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred