Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone make any of this out? The embossment is worn. I can make out some of it out but not all of it.
Show me the whole hat, please
It could be made in 1998 and the size is 59 cm. so a 7 3/8 for US standard
Vanzina was an Italian hats producer bought in 1956 by Borsalino and for many years the two trade mark were on the market with a slightly different types of hats. Vanzina in the last fifty years were made in the same factory of Borsalino.
Rosati is a very famous bar in Piazza del Popolo in Rome and I presume it was the name of model.
About the black Borsalino the gifter play a little game with language "Culo Brutto" is bad ass in English ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Show me the whole hat, please
It could be made in 1998 and the size is 59 cm. so a 7 3/8 for US standard
Vanzina was an Italian hats producer bought in 1956 by Borsalino and for many years the two trade mark were on the market with a slightly different types of hats. Vanzina in the last fifty years were made in the same factory of Borsalino.
Rosati is a very famous bar in Piazza del Popolo in Rome and I presume it was the name of model.
About the black Borsalino the gifter play a little game with language "Culo Brutto" is bad ass in English ;)
Thank you for the information, Daniele. Definitely interesting. I like learning the history of things like that. I was guessing that it was probably a later model hat. Here's a few pictures of the hat as received. I'll be posting more in the Conversion Corral when it's finished. It has 3 inch wide brim and a taller but very tapered open crown, somewhere between 5 3/4 - 6 inches tall. I already took it apart and it's on the block for a slight size up and to make the crown straight...

Borsalino_30_A.jpg

Borsalino_19_A.jpg

It has some nice detailing around the brim binding. That will remain on the hat. The original ribbon work will also go back on the hat...

Borsalino_8_A.jpg

I'm between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8...
Borsalino_29_A.jpg

On the head. You can really see how tapered the crown is in these next pics. I'll be changing that, though.

Borsalino_15_A.jpg

Borsalino_31_A.jpg

On the block. I believe that this is going to make a nice transformation when I'm finished...
Borsalino_27_A.jpg

Where I live, Rosati is the recognized name of a high end replacement window company.

Lol. Culo Brutto was the name I gave it, for "Butt Ugly". ;)

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for the information, Daniele. Definitely interesting. I like learning the history of things like that. I was guessing that it was probably a later model hat. Here's a few pictures of the hat as received. I'll be posting more in the Conversion Corral when it's finished. It has 3 inch wide brim and a taller but very tapered open crown, somewhere between 5 3/4 - 6 inches tall. I already took it apart and it's on the block for a slight size up and to make the crown straight...
It is a sort of "cowboy" hat in an Italian way :)
I see the very interesting trimming on the brim and usually the felt even twenty years ago and even now produced in Alessandria is of good to excellent quality, so I think you will have pleasure to model a new hat.
As you know, for us Italian, black hats are the top of elegance and my suggestion is to have it shaped as an old thirties Borsalino as the one Max got it, but in this case you have to change the ribbon. I raccomended black :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It is a sort of "cowboy" hat in an Italian way :)
I see the very interesting trimming on the brim and usually the felt even twenty years ago and even now produced in Alessandria is of good to excellent quality, so I think you will have pleasure to model a new hat.
As you know, for us Italian, black hats are the top of elegance and my suggestion is to have it shaped as an old thirties Borsalino as the one Max got it, but in this case you have to change the ribbon. I raccomended black :)

That's good information. Thank you, Daniele. I noticed the trimming too. I'll be leaving that, "as is", on the hat. I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to remove it for the reblocking. So it'll remain on the hat. I also noticed, like you pointed out, that the felt quality was very good on this hat, and you confirmed that for me. I'll be reusing the original black ribbon that was on the hat...(3/4 wide ribbon).

Borsalino_1.jpg

That's a very nice looking Borsalino that Max has. But, I've always wanted a thin ribbon Alessandria, (one of my elusive bucket list hats). If by some way, some how, I can ever get enough 3/8 black ribbon I would prefer to make the hat a thin ribbon Borsalino like the Alessandria that moon is wearing in this pic...

Borsalino_Thin_Ribbon.png

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
That's good information. Thank you, Daniele. I noticed the trimming too. I'll be leaving that as is on the hat. I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to remove it for the reblocking. So it'll remain on the hat. I also noticed, like you pointed out, that the felt quality was very good on this hat, and you confirmed that for me. I'll be reusing the original black ribbon that was on the hat...(3/4 wide ribbon).

Borsalino_1.jpg

That's a very nice looking Borsalino that Max has. But, I've always wanted a thin ribbon Alessandria, (one of my elusive bucket list hats). If by some way, some how, I can ever get enough 3/8 black ribbon I would prefer to make the hat a thin ribbon Borsalino like the Alessandria that moon is wearing in this pic...

Next week I can send you some pictures of a black Alessandria, I have in a box, maybe it could help you

Inviato dal mio M5 Note utilizzando Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Borsalino is off the block and the crown has been successfully reconfigured with a straight sided profile. Here are the before and after pics of the different crown shapes. I should have this finished within the next few days. I'll put more in the Conversion Corral later. This is going to make a nice hat...ribbon isn't attached yet.

Borsalino_Open_Crown_Before_and_After.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
That's good information. Thank you, Daniele. I noticed the trimming too. I'll be leaving that as is on the hat. I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to remove it for the reblocking. So it'll remain on the hat. I also noticed, like you pointed out, that the felt quality was very good on this hat, and you confirmed that for me. I'll be reusing the original black ribbon that was on the hat...(3/4 wide ribbon).

Borsalino_1.jpg

I have these two from Moon
71f1c5594177587471367886e2af2091.jpg
6b6eb0c4da026ea6e4cc64cc41b0d23c.jpg
4bace57a84c18a246be2bca02ad69ab3.jpg
9ae9781a4f706daa43c0d36719187f10.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have these two from Moon
71f1c5594177587471367886e2af2091.jpg
6b6eb0c4da026ea6e4cc64cc41b0d23c.jpg
4bace57a84c18a246be2bca02ad69ab3.jpg
9ae9781a4f706daa43c0d36719187f10.jpg

Nice! I've been wanting a thin ribbon Borsa for a good while now. Along with a few other vintage hats I've been wanting that's been on my Bucket List, too. With the Black Borsa I'm working on maybe I can make my own version of one if I can find some black 3/8 ribbon.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
saw this thread, and just wanted to tell a quick story, a sad story, to be sure, but quick! :)

Was in Italy this past summer, and stumbled across a borsalino hat store. Needless to say, I was pretty pumped to check out the hats, and maybe go back home to the states with a sharp, new Borsalino from Italy... I don't know much about Borsalino, however, except the name, and since I usually pretty much only wear upturned stingies, I was a little like a fish out of water in the store. The problem? The store employee CLEARLY couldnt care less if I bought a hat in his store. He actually seemed irritated that I had the nerve to be standing in his completely empty store.... sadly, this made me feel rather stupid and awkward, so I left without a hat that day. I don't know, maybe he just didn't like tourists. Unfortunate.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Max. Any idea what all of that means to the hat? Is it a model name, that you know of?

Google Translate: "Vanzina, Reistered Trademark".

Anyway, it's my next hat project. Anything original to the hat that I can reuse will go back on it.
Look, Terry, this is a Vanzina that Daniele sent me. "Styled by Borsalino".
The felt feels the same as a Marque Grand Luxe's. Soft as a horse's nose, as Bowen says.
And look at that liner!

I could probably pass for an Italian at Leonardo da Vinci airport with this hat.
Thanks again, Daniele.
769ff153f792989a95ec841cc60dcc70.jpg
624422265d0bbdcee72082ee2cdc40ee.jpg
5274ae31faacb20be1c7592bea270eed.jpg
c9c6e07f3308b29e157c8712b7138cf1.jpg
3793b09f1d473ce82c95ef881f71e769.jpg
8ad6bf7c7b732b693afccd187f2080b0.jpg
25da56a9047c287f5502408a49d39c13.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Look, Terry, this is a Vanzina that Daniele sent me. "Styled by Borsalino".
The felt feels the same as a Marque Grand Luxe's. Soft as a horse's nose, as Bowen says.
And look at that liner!

I could probably pass for an Italian at Leonardo da Vinci airport with this hat.
Thanks again, Daniele.
769ff153f792989a95ec841cc60dcc70.jpg
624422265d0bbdcee72082ee2cdc40ee.jpg
5274ae31faacb20be1c7592bea270eed.jpg
c9c6e07f3308b29e157c8712b7138cf1.jpg
3793b09f1d473ce82c95ef881f71e769.jpg
8ad6bf7c7b732b693afccd187f2080b0.jpg
25da56a9047c287f5502408a49d39c13.jpg

Nice! Mine is missing the liner. I like the inside of your hat. That's a really good looking liner and the embossing on your sweat is legible.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
saw this thread, and just wanted to tell a quick story, a sad story, to be sure, but quick! :)

Was in Italy this past summer, and stumbled across a borsalino hat store. Needless to say, I was pretty pumped to check out the hats, and maybe go back home to the states with a sharp, new Borsalino from Italy... I don't know much about Borsalino, however, except the name, and since I usually pretty much only wear upturned stingies, I was a little like a fish out of water in the store. The problem? The store employee CLEARLY couldnt care less if I bought a hat in his store. He actually seemed irritated that I had the nerve to be standing in his completely empty store.... sadly, this made me feel rather stupid and awkward, so I left without a hat that day. I don't know, maybe he just didn't like tourists. Unfortunate.
When I went to Italy, most people would either ignore me or be rude to me when I spoke English to them. When I spoke Spanish, first they got this kind of intrigued look on their faces, like "I can't believe I am understanding this guy", and then they were nice.
The guy in the information booth in Milan airport told me he didn't know where American Airlines booth was when I asked him in English, and then helped my wife to carry our luggage to get there because she asked him in Spanish while I was finding it.
Most Italians don't like American tourists, that's the truth.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

When I went to Italy, most people would either ignore me or be rude to me when I spoke English to them. When I spoke Spanish, first they got this kind of intrigued look on their faces, like "I can't believe I am understanding this guy", and then they were nice.
The guy in the information booth in Milan airport told me he didn't know where American Airlines booth was when I asked him in English, and then helped my wife to carry our luggage to get there because she asked him in Spanish while I was finding it.
Most Italians don't like American tourists, that's the truth.

There are no excuses for Italians who behave badly with tourists of any nationality.
Then there are some aspects of tourism in Italy that should be debated without prejudice and without hesitation. I believe this is not the right place, but generalizing is not a good thing.
Only an advice said with a smile, knowing it to be a great truth: when you are in Italy try to speak a few words of Italian, try to learn a few words and you will see the attitude of Italians change. Remember that it is not written anywhere that an Italian should speak English and all the tourists languages at his home and often this is totally ignored by tourists. This said with anothe smile by an Italian who speaks well foreign languages and lives in one of the most touristic cities in Italy:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy