Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Another Borsalino came in today. I traded this one with Brent (@deadlyhandsome) for a Barbisio and a panama. The auction shots made it look black, which would have been fine with me, but it is in fact grey. So many thanks go out to Brent for getting this one for me.
There are two members on this lounge who thought they had cornered the market on Marque Grand Luxe Borsalinos (Bowen? Max?:)), but this one escaped their attention. And it's a velour!
Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe in Lupo (wolf) colour. Raw edge brim at a hair under 5,5cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Bob Roberts had/has a hat in Lupo colour, which I always liked, so I'm over the moon with this one.
borsalino lupo_01.jpg
borsalino lupo_02.jpg
borsalino lupo_03.jpg
borsalino lupo_04.jpg
borsalino lupo_05.jpg
borsalino lupo_07.jpg
borsalino lupo_09.jpg
borsalino lupo_10.jpg
borsalino lupo_12.jpg
borsalino lupo_11.jpg

Tonio

A-List Customer
Another Borsalino came in today. I traded this one with Brent (@deadlyhandsome) for a Barbisio and a panama. The auction shots made it look black, which would have been fine with me, but it is in fact grey. So many thanks go out to Brent for getting this one for me.
There are two members on this lounge who thought they had cornered the market on Marque Grand Luxe Borsalinos (Bowen? Max?:)), but this one escaped their attention. And it's a velour!
Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe in Lupo (wolf) colour. Raw edge brim at a hair under 5,5cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Bob Roberts had/has a hat in Lupo colour, which I always liked, so I'm over the moon with this one.
View attachment 135502 View attachment 135503 View attachment 135504 View attachment 135505 View attachment 135506 View attachment 135507 View attachment 135508 View attachment 135509 View attachment 135510 View attachment 135511

Excellent! 6X are something special. I'm sure you will enjoy it! I experienced a minor annoyance with tissue paper on a 4X. I was using it to cover the insert of a box to prevent a ring around the brim. The tissue paper actually left wrinkle imprints on the crown which I had to steam and brush out.

BTW I also happened to receive something today (Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe 5X).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here are a couple updated shots of a Marque Grand Luxe 6X. It's waiting for the colder weather.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
A seriously great day for the Borsas.
I truly love this thread!!
Thanks guys!
B
Excellent! 6X are something special. I'm sure you will enjoy it! I experienced a minor annoyance with tissue paper on a 4X. I was using it to cover the insert of a box to prevent a ring around the brim. The tissue paper actually left wrinkle imprints on the crown which I had to steam and brush out.

BTW I also happened to receive something today (Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe 5X).

View attachment 135550 View attachment 135549 View attachment 135548 View attachment 135547

Here are a couple updated shots of a Marque Grand Luxe 6X. It's waiting for the colder weather.

View attachment 135551 View attachment 135552 View attachment 135553 View attachment 135554
Tonio:
Your new one is a Silver isn’t it?
Good to see the 6x again! Thanks
B

Very nice 6X! These appear to have been quite popular in the in US late 1950s - I have seen many for sale that were sold originally from Marshall Field in Chicago. The liners have always been the style in Tonio's examples. Do you think there was tissue in place originally as a crown protector in yours?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second purchase of a declining summer. Together with the Barbisio of yesterday he arrived in a complex purchase
4v2xx5.jpg

A classic lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore in black. Size 5 so it is 57 centimeter, a little tight, personal opinion
2yuczmd.jpg

The production is the historical one of Borsalino and the felt and finishes are of the first order
2iv1wtv.jpg

The felt is black and very soft with a velvety touch
10ni87r.jpg

Every so often it is a pleasure to discover that Borsalino has produced apparently "normal" felts of such a high degree of quality
afdcvk.jpg

The proportions are: curled brim to 5 cm., Crown to 12 cm. and 5 centimeter tape
2vjr96g.jpg

The hat is very little used and, apart from the dust, removed, it is perfect
2m5c6md.jpg

Unpleasantly it is another hat, along with the yesterday's Barbisio, that will have to leave his friends in the closets, where he has not yet been put in order not to fraternize.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
The lightest felt hat in the house at 2.3 ounces, thanks to its grosgrain sweatband. Very soft and unstructured - an easy hat to roll but not an easy hat to shape. Palladio.

091418_1.jpg

091418_2.jpg

091418_3.jpg

pocket1.jpg

pocket2.jpg

not sure the provenance of the year, this label does not show the Borsalino name on the left side.
pocket3.jpg

pocket4.jpg

pocket5.jpg

pocket6.jpg
Alan:
This hat beckons. It gives me pause to admire it before asking questions about it. It has such uniqueness.
I saw your FB images and was stunned!
I need to soak in all of this one a bit!
In short...probably the most alluring hat i have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
Bowen

Alan:
This hat beckons. It gives me pause to admire it before asking questions about it. It has such uniqueness.
I saw your FB images and was stunned!
I need to soak in all of this one a bit!
In short...probably the most alluring hat i have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
Bowen

Thank you Bowen. It is a neat one though quite difficult to wear. It is hard to put on without getting some new pinch or crease that you didn't intend. It is that soft. And the outside temperature must be just right. Grosgrain is not happy to receive perspiration.

View attachment 135550 View attachment 135549 View attachment 135548 View attachment 135547

View attachment 135551 View attachment 135552 View attachment 135553 View attachment 135554
Tonio, thanks! Beautiful shots of your MGL hats. I actually have the same experience with this one: when it came out of the box I thought it had damage to the felt that I hadn't seen on the auction shots. Appears it was just the nap lying flat after being in transit for a week. Took quite a bit of brushing and steaming to get it out too. Delicate hats so it seems, but the hand is incredible.
What colour is that 6x of yours? Looks superb.

Very nice 6X! These appear to have been quite popular in the in US late 1950s - I have seen many for sale that were sold originally from Marshall Field in Chicago. The liners have always been the style in Tonio's examples. Do you think there was tissue in place originally as a crown protector in yours?
Alan, thanks. I think mine is a bit later that the ones Tonio posted and after Borsalino replaced the cellophane covering of the crown patches with other materials. Mine came from Alfredo Radiconcini, Rome. You have a hat of that shop as well.

Second purchase of a declining summer. Together with the Barbisio of yesterday he arrived in a complex purchase
4v2xx5.jpg

A classic lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore in black. Size 5 so it is 57 centimeter, a little tight, personal opinion
2yuczmd.jpg

The production is the historical one of Borsalino and the felt and finishes are of the first order
2iv1wtv.jpg

The felt is black and very soft with a velvety touch
10ni87r.jpg

Every so often it is a pleasure to discover that Borsalino has produced apparently "normal" felts of such a high degree of quality
afdcvk.jpg

The proportions are: curled brim to 5 cm., Crown to 12 cm. and 5 centimeter tape
2vjr96g.jpg

The hat is very little used and, apart from the dust, removed, it is perfect
2m5c6md.jpg

Unpleasantly it is another hat, along with the yesterday's Barbisio, that will have to leave his friends in the closets, where he has not yet been put in order not to fraternize.
Lovely, Daniele. Looks pristine too. Everyone should have (at least) one.

The lightest felt hat in the house at 2.3 ounces, thanks to its grosgrain sweatband. Very soft and unstructured - an easy hat to roll but not an easy hat to shape. Palladio.

091418_1.jpg

091418_2.jpg

091418_3.jpg

pocket1.jpg

pocket2.jpg

not sure the provenance of the year, this label does not show the Borsalino name on the left side.
pocket3.jpg

pocket4.jpg

pocket5.jpg

pocket6.jpg
That is one spectacular hat, Alan. Love it. My lightest hat is also a Borsalino in Palladio, coming in at only 2 oz and with leather sweatband too (but unlined). Incredible craftsmanship, but as you say, hard to handle because it shapes and wrinkles so easily.

michael78

One of the Regulars
Just to clarify, I was only addressing the liner composition and printing. I have no idea of the content other than what is Borsalino related (center crest).
Here is a translation of the Liner for the record. Maybe Daniele could clarify meaning?

Brevetti Reali
delle LL. MM. il Re d'italia - la Regina madre e la Regina di Portogallo

Marca depositata

De Manuele Palermo

Gielospo

English
Royal Patents
of the LL. MM. the King of Italy - the Queen Mother and the Queen of Portugal

Registered Brand

De Manuele Palermo

Gielospo

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Let's start from the beginning
LL. MM. means "their Majesty" and the rest is translated correctly.
What does it mean written on a lining of a hat when Italy had a king, before 1946?
Nothing in my opinion, except that a Borsalino marketing move related to that time, very well done in agreement with the royal house. Probably the hat, not the one in your hands, had been donated to the royal family and then "supply to the royal family" was used, as was done in those days, to mention the importance of the event in the Borsalino marketing. The Borsalino family in that era was really political powerful.
Gielospo is a invented name, as the many others in the Borsalino tradition, to name a type of hat (shape, felt, ribbon)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112