Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Second hat of the day. The first Borsalino of this deal
2vvkknq.jpg

A classic lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore in grey.
inzo5w.jpg

Size tagged 5 1/2 so it is 58 centimeter, but not at all, it is a 5 or a 7 US size. No paper label
206lr4g.jpg

The production is the Borsalino historical era and the felt and finishes are very well made
30ndsmv.jpg

The felt is medium-light grey and soft and it was sold inMilan in the fifities
2m2up86.jpg

I like in this classical Borsalino homburg the contrasting ribbon and the very well made details
2i1e3di.jpg

The proportions are: curled brim to 5 cm., Crown to 11 cm. and ribbon at 4 centimeter
2h2qc21.jpg

The hat is very little used and, apart from the dust, removed, it is perfect
dvhdtk.jpg

Unpleasantly it is another hat, along with the "Sombrero" show today, that will have to leave since it is a "fez" on my head
PM if you are interested in this classic Borsalino Homburg
Classic Borsalino homburg. Very very beautiful.

Here's the new one (for me at least) I showed a glipse of it yesterday. Borsalino Ergosca in M (misto) Acciaio (steel). So heather steel or mix steel is the colour name. Overwelt brim slightly under 7cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. It's more stiff than the angora hats owned by Mike and Bowen, but it's a nice one to add to the collection. I thought the metal colours of borsalino were exhausted, and then this shows up.

borsalino acciaio_01.jpg
borsalino acciaio_02.jpg
borsalino acciaio_03.jpg
borsalino acciaio_04.jpg
borsalino acciaio_05.jpg
borsalino acciaio_06.jpg
borsalino acciaio_07.jpg
borsalino acciaio_08.jpg
borsalino acciaio_09.jpg
borsalino acciaio_12.jpg

Part II
borsalino acciaio_10.jpg

borsalino acciaio_11.jpg

The hat is more well-behaved now, but it was a bit unruly when I got it. A few pics from the auction:
misto2.JPG
misto5.JPG
misto9.JPG

JS Meuwsen was one of the biggest hat-sellers in the country, if not the biggest. JS Meuwsen died in 1915, but his heirs carriedon the business and one of them was founder of the Nehoefa factory in Bussum, which produced the Staalmeester brand.
Here's a picture of JS Meuwsen:
js meuwsen 1915_resize.jpg

This is the building in Amsterdam where they were located:
meuwsen.JPG

Here's something we don't see every day. A borsalino formal hat (not a homburg but more formal than that). Borsalino Ascot in Argento colour. I thought it to be older than it in fact is. If the label theory holds up this should be 1979. It's a bit more dirty than the pictures show, but I haven't cleaned it yet. I won't wear it anyway. Came with a nice borsalino box too.
I do have another ascot, made by Tonak, but this one leave that one at the starting line, never to be seen again.

borsalino ascot_01.jpg
borsalino ascot_02.jpg
borsalino ascot_03.jpg
borsalino ascot_04.jpg
borsalino ascot_06.jpg
borsalino ascot_07.jpg
borsalino ascot_08.jpg
borsalino ascot_09.jpg
borsalino ascot_10.jpg
borsalino ascot_11.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bombetta Qualità Superiore. Size 7 US or 5 French. European 57 cm.
20sslmf.jpg

The "bombetta" is a "Misto" felt of fur and wool.
2re738n.jpg

It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
2cqjt4x.jpg

It is a slightly "heather" felt bowler, the first I saw in my life
jv3sz8.jpg

The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
s6kmlv.jpg

The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
29o2xko.jpg

The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
My opinion on its age is it was made before the WWII
2cp3zwj.jpg

I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
Embossed golden stamps on the sweatband
1r7s01.jpg

Size tag and the interior bow
t0grh1.jpg

A lucky find for sure, but I wish it was more my size!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the new one (for me at least) I showed a glipse of it yesterday. Borsalino Ergosca in M (misto) Acciaio (steel). So heather steel or mix steel is the colour name. Overwelt brim slightly under 7cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. It's more stiff than the angora hats owned by Mike and Bowen, but it's a nice one to add to the collection. I thought the metal colours of borsalino were exhausted, and then this shows up.

View attachment 146463 View attachment 146464 View attachment 146465 View attachment 146466 View attachment 146467 View attachment 146468 View attachment 146469 View attachment 146470 View attachment 146471 View attachment 146473
Speechless!

Bombetta Qualità Superiore. Size 7 US or 5 French. European 57 cm.
20sslmf.jpg

The "bombetta" is a "Misto" felt of fur and wool.
2re738n.jpg

It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
2cqjt4x.jpg

It is a slightly "heather" felt bowler, the first I saw in my life
jv3sz8.jpg

The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
s6kmlv.jpg

The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
29o2xko.jpg

The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
My opinion on its age is it was made before the WWII
2cp3zwj.jpg

I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
Embossed golden stamps on the sweatband
1r7s01.jpg

Size tag and the interior bow
t0grh1.jpg

A lucky find for sure, but I wish it was more my size!
Fantastic, Daniele! That has me fidgeting on my chair! I don't wear bowlers. Yet!
I don't wear ascots either and I got one of those too.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
They need a new home, as does my size 60 Flechet. If you want to work a deal for the Carlton let me know.
Thank you very much Brent, you are very kind, but I have a number of Borsalino, with the same finish as yours, coming and I would like to see them before setting up an exchange. The Flechet is beautiful, but needs, for my taste of some change. Let me think about it.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
2dcinx4.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore. Color is “Amiata” and no type size, is 5 1/2
9lka5s.jpg

The production of this hat was made during the fifties,maybe a little younger then the “Biber”
260v8n6.jpg

It is a “very Italian” hat from the 50 or around those years for proportions, finish and lining. In which there is another of the many Borsalino brand
23rtn5c.jpg

The color is “Amiata” one of the most common, but it is a “darker” Amiata in my opinion really beautiful
2h3o1ev.jpg

As most of the Borsalino hats of those years it has a “unknown” age because it could be also from the forties for the above mentioned reasons
jj03zq.jpg

The proportions are as follows: trimmed brim to 6 cm. crown at 10 and the ribbon is 3 cm.
sz9zt1.jpg

The lining with the yellow oilskin has a sweatband 4,5 cm.
28a5hf4.jpg

The construction and details are very thirties, although I do not think it's so old and is more younger then the follow Borsalino “Biber” The ribbon is matched to the color of the felt and the bow is of the "old" type.
The hat was sold in Milano - Italy.
34y47qq.jpg

The felt is medium, very malleable a little thicker then the Biber and the real color is a dark “Amiata” that varies according to the light.
Tag size is 5 1/2 but the internal measures are 19,7x16,3 centimtres. It is a tight one
The conditions are good and there are not traces of dirty inside the hat.
Felt has no moths, no spots and it is excellent.

Take a look and let me know if you are tight 58 or 7 1/4 sized head. This is for sale

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
30nb5md.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore. Color is “Biber” and type “Cecosca” size is 5 1/2
30xjz39.jpg

The production of this hat was made during the late forties
2gtrd4o.jpg

It is a “very Italian” hat from the 50 or around those years for proportions, finish and lining. After the war many parts of hats: cones, sweatbands, lining of the pre war production were used to starts again the activity
htbpsl.jpg

As most of the Borsalino hats of those years it has a “unknown” age because it could be also from the thirties for the above mentioned reasons
2modzis.jpg

The proportions are as follows: trimmed brim to 6,5 cm. crown at 10 and the ribbon is 3 cm.
34nfcxi.jpg

The lining with the yellow oilskin is, with the high sweatband 5 cm., the main details that make me wonder the real age of the hat
wix0g6.jpg

The construction and details are very thirties, although I do not think it's so old. The ribbon is matched to the color of the felt and the bow is of the "old" type
29gcxc.jpg

The hat was sold in Bolzano - Italy.
The felt is medium-light, very malleable and the real color is a beige-gray that varies according to the light.
No tag size, but the internal measures are 19,5x16,5 centimtres. It is a tight one
The conditions are excellet and there are not traces of dirty inside the hat, only the wire under the sweatband has some discoloration.
Felt has no moths, no spots and it si excellent.
Take a look and then let me know fellow loungers of size around tight 58 or 7 1/4 US. It is for sale

30nb5md.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore. Color is “Biber” and type “Cecosca” size is 5 1/2
30xjz39.jpg

The production of this hat was made during the late forties
2gtrd4o.jpg

It is a “very Italian” hat from the 50 or around those years for proportions, finish and lining. After the war many parts of hats: cones, sweatbands, lining of the pre war production were used to starts again the activity
htbpsl.jpg

As most of the Borsalino hats of those years it has a “unknown” age because it could be also from the thirties for the above mentioned reasons
2modzis.jpg

The proportions are as follows: trimmed brim to 6,5 cm. crown at 10 and the ribbon is 3 cm.
34nfcxi.jpg

The lining with the yellow oilskin is, with the high sweatband 5 cm., the main details that make me wonder the real age of the hat
wix0g6.jpg

The construction and details are very thirties, although I do not think it's so old. The ribbon is matched to the color of the felt and the bow is of the "old" type
29gcxc.jpg

The hat was sold in Bolzano - Italy.
The felt is medium-light, very malleable and the real color is a beige-gray that varies according to the light.
No tag size, but the internal measures are 19,5x16,5 centimtres. It is a tight one
The conditions are excellet and there are not traces of dirty inside the hat, only the wire under the sweatband has some discoloration.
Felt has no moths, no spots and it si excellent.
Take a look and then let me know fellow loungers of size around tight 58 or 7 1/4 US. It is for sale
Marvelous hats both of them, daniele. Pity they are not in my size. Can't win them all.

Two recent additions for this thread. Let's start with this one: Echter Borsalino Export Qualität Debrosan in nero. Size 59. Bound brim at 6,5 cm and crown 10,5cm at the pinch. Lovely pliable felt with a nice soft hand. Borsalino hatmaking at its best with a nice mid size ribbon treatment.
Had this for about a week now and today it was time to take some pictures of it between the first signs of what may turn into fimbulvetr. Some droplets can be seen on the hat; had to hurry!

borsalino nero debrosan_01.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_02.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_03.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_04.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_05.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_06.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_07.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_08.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_09.jpg
borsalino nero debrosan_11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads