The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dakota Ellison, Jan 25, 2004.

1. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Daniele, Fantastic find! The color is exceptional. Same with the form.

2. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Borsalino lobbia in grey. As this one doesn't have a label inside I compared it to my other Borsalinos. It is the Argento colour. Brim sits at 5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. I have another one of these one size smaller (this one is a size 57), but this one is much more comfortable. Qualitá extra superiore. I think this one is from the seventies.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Borsalino Lobbia in brown. The label inside the hat gives no information and comparing the colour didn't give an exact match. It's a bit lighter than the Caffe and somewhat less saturated than the Folco, but it's closest to these. Let's just call it Marrone. I'm fairly certain it's a Gulaela model, with the brim at a good 5,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the pinch. Qualitá extra superiore. It doesn't like the pinches and only takes the shallowest of these. The sweatband has some texturing, which is seen more often on earlier models.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DRB, mayserwegener, Steve1857 and 4 others like this.
  4. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Echter Borsalino lobbia in Dattero colour. Size 6, which is 7 3/8 American. Model Gulaela, export Qualität, with the brim at 6cm and the crown 11cm at the pinch. Some discoloration on the brim binding can be seen in the pics, but other than that it's in great condition. Because it's not my size it will go to the classifieds (PM me if interested).

borsalino dattero59_1.jpg borsalino dattero59_2.jpg borsalino dattero59_3.jpg borsalino dattero59_4.jpg borsalino dattero59_5.jpg borsalino dattero59_6.jpg borsalino dattero59_7.jpg borsalino dattero59_8.jpg borsalino dattero59_9.jpg

5. Steve1857

Steve1857 Call Me a Cab

Wolf whistles to that Lobbia, Stefan. I'm sure it will find a good home.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

steur likes this.
  6. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Steve. I think it will. There must be loungers out there looking for a larger sized brown homburg.

Steve1857 likes this.
  7. psklenar

psklenar One of the Regulars

I just saw on FB that Delmonico has that in stock (and I have an email offering 15% off on any purchases before the end of the year). I'm thinking of running down to New Haven next week to see if they have one that fits and look it over in person.

pat----

steur likes this.
  8. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Santa was early this year and brought some goodies. This one he seems to have had laying about for decades.
    Borsalino Celesti in Caffe colour. Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore in a size 5 (57) with the brim at 6cm and the crown 10cm at the center dent. This one came in one of those coffin boxes and I was curious to see how it would turn out. Here's what it looked like before.
    borsalino caffe extra2_1.jpg borsalino caffe extra2_2.jpg borsalino caffe extra2_3.jpg

Ik had expected it would put up a fight to come back to life again, but that was not the case at all. Just a quick brushing and a good steaming for maybe 5 minutes and it was all there again. Never ceases to amaze me. After sixty or seventy years in a box a hat looks like it just came of the shelf in 5 minutes time.
    I also expected it to be a bit lighter than it in fact is. It still is a lightweight hat at 100 grams, but certainly not the lightest hat I own.
    Here's what it looks like now.
    borsalino caffe extra_01.jpg borsalino caffe extra_02.jpg borsalino caffe extra_03.jpg borsalino caffe extra_04.jpg borsalino caffe extra_05.jpg borsalino caffe extra_06.jpg borsalino caffe extra_07.jpg

drmaxtejeda, DRB, Rockwater and 6 others like this.
  9. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Part II
    Some more pics. The part that needed most attention was the sweatband, which was dried out somewhat. I have treated that with leather conditioner and probably will need to that again a few times.
    borsalino caffe extra_08.jpg borsalino caffe extra_09.jpg borsalino caffe extra_10.jpg borsalino caffe extra_11.jpg borsalino caffe extra_12.jpg

10. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Apparently I've been a good boy. In the package there was this one too.
    Borsalino Idorsca in black. Raw edge brim at 5cm and crown 10cm at the center dent. Windcord doesn't have a button and probably never had one. This is an early one and it's the beautiful liner that made me buy this one. Unusual embossed Borsalino brand emblem on the sweatband. This is an early one with a coloured edge around the label and a separate size label. If I'm not mistaken these are seen on thirties hats.
    borsalino veccia_01.jpg borsalino veccia_02.jpg borsalino veccia_03.jpg borsalino veccia_04.jpg borsalino veccia_05.jpg borsalino veccia_06.jpg borsalino veccia_09.jpg

11. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Part II
    This one seems to work best brim up. In my mind with the brim down it seems more like a run of the mill stingy brim fedora. And I'm hoping for it to work like Jude Law's hat in the latest Harry Potter franchise movie. This one:
    jude law hat.gif
    (I will probably end looking like inspector Gadget again, but hey...).

Here are the rest of the pics.
    borsalino veccia_07.jpg borsalino veccia_08.jpg borsalino veccia_10.jpg borsalino veccia_11.jpg borsalino veccia_12.jpg borsalino veccia_13.jpg

12. Steve1857

Steve1857 Call Me a Cab

Some very nice Borsalinos, Stefan. Congrats. Santa delivered to the right good boy . Have a merry Christmas.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

RJR and steur like this.
  13. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Steve. Merry Christmas to you and yours too. Enjoy.

Steve1857 likes this.
  14. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto Call Me a Cab

It came well, pulled out of the coffin. A nice purchase!

The second Borsalino is truly a piece of history. For the form and all that testifies its old age. It was sold in a purely agricultural town and I see it very well in that context, so little hat from big cities, but maybe I'm talking only to the Italians who know our society. A single piece of beauty

steur and Steve1857 like this.
  15. alanfgag

alanfgag

Very beautiful new hats! You did a great job steaming out the decades of rumple from box storage - not an easy task. And the older black hat is great. The label and liner imprint with Borsalino and store mark side by side is an earlier form and the sweatband is fabulous. Great to see!

drmaxtejeda, DRB and steur like this.
  16. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Daniele. I like the way these last two worked out. Especially the Idorsca is a new style for me, but I find I'm very taken by it.

Steve1857 and Daniele Tanto like this.
  17. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Alan! I had seen other reports that bringing those coffin box hats could be a bit of a challenge, but this one gave me no trouble at all. The Idorsca is a very pleasant surprise; cool little hat.

DRB and Steve1857 like this.
  18. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Looks virtually new. Love the color.

steur likes this.
  19. DRB

DRB One Too Many

An absolutely amazing transformation. Thanks for the education!

steur likes this.
  20. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Wow, Stefan. Very instructive.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

steur likes this.