Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Apparently I've been a good boy. In the package there was this one too.
Borsalino Idorsca in black. Raw edge brim at 5cm and crown 10cm at the center dent. Windcord doesn't have a button and probably never had one. This is an early one and it's the beautiful liner that made me buy this one. Unusual embossed Borsalino brand emblem on the sweatband. This is an early one with a coloured edge around the label and a separate size label. If I'm not mistaken these are seen on thirties hats.
View attachment 149515 View attachment 149516 View attachment 149517 View attachment 149518 View attachment 149519 View attachment 149520 View attachment 149521
I wonder if Santa has different standards depending on which country you're from.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

michael78

One of the Regulars
Hi chaps, Happy New Year to all!!!.
Q. can anyone put a date on this liner?...this is all i have at present.
Mike
s-l1600 (1).jpg

michael78

One of the Regulars
Part II
This one seems to work best brim up. In my mind with the brim down it seems more like a run of the mill stingy brim fedora. And I'm hoping for it to work like Jude Law's hat in the latest Harry Potter franchise movie. This one:
View attachment 149522
(I will probably end looking like inspector Gadget again, but hey...).

Here are the rest of the pics.
View attachment 149523 View attachment 149524 View attachment 149525 View attachment 149526 View attachment 149527 View attachment 149528
Hi Stefan, what a belter of a HAT!!!, love this profile.

Hi chaps, Happy New Year to all!!!.
Q. can anyone put a date on this liner?...this is all i have at present.
Mike
View attachment 150573
Hi Stefan, what a belter of a HAT!!!, love this profile.
Thanks, Mike. There's not much to go on with the picture of just the liner. There's not much in the other auction/sale pictures for this one either though (and there's no shot of the label). This kind of liner has been around for a while. It's the center one on this publication card of 1911, so they've been using it for some time.
Stampa-cromolitografia-azienda-cappelli-Borsalino-Alessandria-1910.jpg

What makes me think it's an early one is the fact that it's not coloured combined with the colour of the liner cloth. Thirties maybe? For the money they're asking you can't go wrong really.

Fredrik

New in Town
IMG_1250.JPG
I have followed this thread with great pleasure for a few years now but never posted anything, so it's about time! I'll start out with my (so far) modest borsalino rotation.

Back row, from left.
Mirtillo colored long fur. Size 57cm, so just a tad too small for me.
Florida brown homburg size 58, marked 5 1/2.
Sepia color long fur. 58cm.

Front row, from left.
Forra color fedora, size 5, thinking about stretching it as I really love this color, but it's a tad too small.
A grey new fedora. This was my first borsalino, and first hat at that, before I got hooked on the old ones.
Moka color fedora, size 58. This is my absolute favorite companion, with which I will never part. Actually had a dream from which I woke up in panic, I had forgotten it on the bus, luckily it was resting on its shelf all along.

Next I want a rollable one, in box!

Thanks for all great posts!
/Fredrik

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 151218 I have followed this thread with great pleasure for a few years now but never posted anything, so it's about time! I'll start out with my (so far) modest borsalino rotation.

Back row, from left.
Mirtillo colored long fur. Size 57cm, so just a tad too small for me.
Florida brown homburg size 58, marked 5 1/2.
Sepia color long fur. 58cm.

Front row, from left.
Forra color fedora, size 5, thinking about stretching it as I really love this color, but it's a tad too small.
A grey new fedora. This was my first borsalino, and first hat at that, before I got hooked on the old ones.
Moka color fedora, size 58. This is my absolute favorite companion, with which I will never part. Actually had a dream from which I woke up in panic, I had forgotten it on the bus, luckily it was resting on its shelf all along.

Next I want a rollable one, in box!

Thanks for all great posts!
/Fredrik
Nice collection Fredrik. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
It seems to me that there is some confusion even under the sky of europe :rolleyes:
When did you pay more money for one of the various qualities marked by Borsalino in his hats?
And where is the standard quality?
I would like to know these answers to give you an answer

A novice hat collector, like me, and other non-experts are just trying to follow some kind of logic:
"Extra Superiore" is expected to be better than simple "Superiore"
"Extra Extra" is expected to be better than "Extra"
and so on ...
I don't mean newest Borsalinos; but the models from the second half of the last century ... before and after leaving Alessandria.
Of course I have noticed that felt quality sometimes does not relate to the mentioned descriptions.
Are all these different quality names really meaningless nonsense?
Or did each "Extra" just raise the price without any quality justification?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A novice hat collector, like me, and other non-experts are just trying to follow some kind of logic:
"Extra" is expected to be better than simple "Superiore"
"Extra Extra" is expected to be better than "Extra"
and so on ...
I don't mean newest Borsalinos; but the models from the second half of the last century ... before and after leaving Alessandria.
Of course I have noticed that felt quality sometimes does not relate to the mentioned descriptions.
Are all these different quality names really meaningless and nonsense?
I try to give you an answer in a different way.
Have you paid for some Borsalino euro more because you had written "Qualità Extra Extra"? If you did you found a good seller.
That said I can not understand if you want to establish a ranking of "Borsalino assessments" to look for a ranking. If you need an evaluation to give importance to a Borsalino rather than another, you can do it. As I have already said and repeated the evaluations Extra, Superiore, Grand Prix, Colombo, Renna, Trionfo, Finitura speciale, XXXXX and so on have a very not so much importance for the quality of the hat, at least until about forty years ago. What matters is the hat as a whole. Now the types and names of the hat offered on the market has changed in Borsalino, yet despite the thousand criticisms and bullshit I read some of today's Borsalino hats are still very high quality hats. This is to say that it is difficult to judge a Borsalino (Barbisio, Panizza, Vanzina, Cervo and others) without having them in the hands or better on the head
Or did each "Extra" just raise the price without any quality justification?
Have you some concrete examples to ask this question? Also because it could be done at least fifty years ago, now it is impossible :rolleyes:

In the following Qualita Extra Superiore are listed as having Rabbit fur content and a lower price point but this is not a Borsalino publication. Velour is the highest price point (so finish driven).

Giusepe Gallieni Rome sponsored Map/ad (probably from the 1950s)

SCAN0371.JPG
SCAN0372.JPG

SCAN0374.JPG
SCAN0373.JPG

As Daniele mentions there doesn't seem to be anything we know of to these designations. I don't believe I have ever seen Extra or Extra Extra Superiore used on German Market Borsalinos (addressing 1920s to the early 1980s) only Qualita' Superiore. For example these very high quality 1929 Echter Borsalino Qualita' Superiore. Not sure what Borsalino would have been above them in quality ranking in this time period.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/#entry1118

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1153

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1198

Last edited:

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I try to give you an answer in a different way.
Have you paid for some Borsalino euro more because you had written "Qualità Extra Extra"? If you did you found a good seller.
That said I can not understand if you want to establish a ranking of "Borsalino assessments" to look for a ranking. If you need an evaluation to give importance to a Borsalino rather than another, you can do it. As I have already said and repeated the evaluations Extra, Superiore, Grand Prix, Colombo, Renna, Trionfo, Finitura speciale, XXXXX and so on have a very not so much importance for the quality of the hat, at least until about forty years ago. What matters is the hat as a whole. Now the types and names of the hat offered on the market has changed in Borsalino, yet despite the thousand criticisms and bullshit I read some of today's Borsalino hats are still very high quality hats. This is to say that it is difficult to judge a Borsalino (Barbisio, Panizza, Vanzina, Cervo and others) without having them in the hands or better on the head

Have you some concrete examples to ask this question? Also because it could be done at least fifty years ago, now it is impossible :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, Daniele.
It is exacly like you said: "it is difficult to judge a Borsalino (or others) without having them in the hands or better on the head"
Buying online, I can only judge a hat by the images and the information provided.
Images can be of poor quality without any details. Information can be rare or misleading.
Even when I find a good looking hat offer, I can only guess what the felt is going to feel like.
So yes, I do take "evaluations" into consideration when looking for hats online.
And yes, I have bid more money if it says "extra extra". This marketing strategy from decades ago still works today :)
No, I do not have historical evidence that "extra extra superiore" were sold at a higher price than a "superiore" decades ago.
But I strongly assume that was the purpose to name them that way; don't you think so also?
I believe you that such rankings are not very reliable, but they atleast give me a clue or hint of what to expect.
Servus from Munich, Georg
P.S. thank you too, Steve.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your kind feedback,
No, I do not have historical evidence that "extra extra superiore" were sold at a higher price than a "superiore" decades ago.

P.S. thank you too, Steve.
Georg, You are welcome.

There is no real way to know at this point unless we find official price listings from Borsalino and they would vary based on year and market.

Like I said I don't believe I have ever seen a 1950s and older Extra Superiore or Extra Extra Superiore made for the German Market. It's possible they weren't used for the German Market but no way to verify (unless I can find an example or official Borsalino price listings) . The 1929 Echter Borsalino Qualita' Superiore Soft Felts that I posted above are at the highest quality level based on what I have seen here and elsewhere (any time period). Here is a Italian Market Borsalino Extra Extra Qualita' Stiff Felt from the same general time period as comparison. I really don't see anything component wise that would put it above the 1929 Echter Borsalinos other than type (Stiff Felt) or possibly felt content which is unknown.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-146#post-1570985

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ