Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Cool enough in Denmark today to wear my ca. late 1940s Borsalino made out of probably pre war materials.

Thanks to Daniele for this one.
002c75c1f7fcd74318d79040d8198ee1.jpg
a86e38ede1c2ba67f57915cb70aa8a27.jpg
ee24bc22e3b306601f0ff93b7683cdc5.jpg
b1a024567b06fc9cb6209adaf79050aa.jpg
db63299bfbab66f92f1488d513627b76.jpg
5c0f298083516237371bf3cd817f27b4.jpg
acd54dd8cd7ec4861736b53b8b683ac2.jpg
02209c1156812890799060b0fd6b3b3b.jpg
7aa6e698d31a4fc542dcb966eeea542a.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Outstanding hat Steve and looking dapper as usual. :)

PanosChris

Practically Family
Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's my most recent Borsalino conversion. I blocked this up from a size 7 to a 7 1/4 and replaced the original mid ribbon with a 3/8 thin ribbon for my cloned version of an Alessandria thin ribbon. For the bow work, I went with something more along the line of a Strat / OR bow with the tails laying loosely on the brim...

Borsalino Alessandria:
Alessandria-Borsalino.png

My Borsa Alessandria clone conversion:
Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-3-A.jpg

Borsalino-III-and-Dodge-2-A.jpg

Borsalino-III-and-Dodge-7-A.jpg

Alessandria-Clone.jpg

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Here's my most recent Borsalino conversion. I blocked this up from a size 7 to a 7 1/4 and replaced the original mid ribbon with a 3/8 thin ribbon for my cloned version of an Alessandria thin ribbon. For the bow work, I went with something more along the line of a Strat / OR bow with the tails laying loosely on the brim...

Borsalino Alessandria:

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-3-A.jpg

Alessandria-Clone.jpg

Very nice; looks like it was always intended to be that way :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Borsalino Alessandria:

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-3-A.jpg

Alessandria-Clone.jpg
Terry, yet another great job finely executed. Looks super and a nice touch with the OR type ribbon.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Borsalino Alessandria:

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-3-A.jpg

Alessandria-Clone.jpg
Excellent work as usual, Terry. You managed to keep the spirit of the hat.

Borsalino Alessandria:

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-3-A.jpg

Alessandria-Clone.jpg
Terry, Great work as usual!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Borsalino Qualità Extra superiore size 6 or 7 3/8 US but it is less wide, so more a 58 7 1/4
There is no paper label because it was cleaned too much by the shop where it was purchased and it lost the Borsalino data

It is part of a Borsalino lot I decided to restore in the Penumbra hats atelier - Netherlands. I was intrigued by the very rare color of the felt. It was cleaned and repounced to give back the original color of the felt and the result is fantastic

It was made, from the seller indications in the late seventies, early eighties.

The measurements are: brim at 5,5 cm. crown at 10 cm. Plain felt and very malleable and light in a color that could be “Miele” or "Albino"
Ribbon is the original. Made in the historical Borsalino factory in Via Cento Cannoni - Alessandria

The interior is completely clean and ready to serve again.
A Borsalino as new in a wonderful color after some excellent work made by Fleur

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 or 7 3/8 US true size
Third hat of a lot, along with the Super Barbisio, and second Borsalino bought in the East Italy

It is a bit out of order so it was restored by Penumbra Hat - Netherlands

It is of the great family of "Misto" so a flecked felt in a very light tone of grey with a hint of black

Made in 1981 it has the following measurements: brim overwelt with two seams at 5 cm. Crown 10.5 cm. Felt is very malleable

It was cleaned and stretched to return to the original size

Made in Alessandria in the last years of the Borsalino historical factory, it is in excellent conditions and a little gem in the "Misto" family

Borsalino Qualità Extra superiore size 6 or 7 3/8 US but it is less wide, so more a 58 7 1/4
There is no paper label because it was cleaned too much by the shop where it was purchased and it lost the Borsalino data

It is part of a Borsalino lot I decided to restore in the Penumbra hats atelier - Netherlands. I was intrigued by the very rare color of the felt. It was cleaned and repounced to give back the original color of the felt and the result is fantastic

It was made, from the seller indications in the late seventies, early eighties.

The measurements are: brim at 5,5 cm. crown at 10 cm. Plain felt and very malleable and light in a color that could be “Miele” or "Albino"
Ribbon is the original. Made in the historical Borsalino factory in Via Cento Cannoni - Alessandria

The interior is completely clean and ready to serve again.
A Borsalino as new in a wonderful color after some excellent work made by Fleur

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 or 7 3/8 US true size
Third hat of a lot, along with the Super Barbisio, and second Borsalino bought in the East Italy

It is a bit out of order so it was restored by Penumbra Hat - Netherlands

It is of the great family of "Misto" so a flecked felt in a very light tone of grey with a hint of black

Made in 1981 it has the following measurements: brim overwelt with two seams at 5 cm. Crown 10.5 cm. Felt is very malleable

It was cleaned and stretched to return to the original size

Made in Alessandria in the last years of the Borsalino historical factory, it is in excellent conditions and a little gem in the "Misto" family
Two wonderful additions for the brotherhood, Daniele. Great work by Fleur as usual. Nice to see another new type of misto felt.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A few words to explain my purchases of used hats. Here in Italy it is difficult to find old or vintage quality hats in my size (60) so I look for lots, maybe in different sizes, where to fish what I like, small sizes remain to be sold. Very often the hats in the lot are of different quality and then the doubt arises about the possibility of restoring some particularly valuable hat. It was the case of this lot of three Borsalino in which each had some defect.
Today the first one
Borsalino Rutenio LW 1 R.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore Size is 5 1/2 or 7 1/4 US but, incredible for a Borsalino, it fit easily my 60 cm. head
Borsalino Rutenio LW 3 R.jpg
The hat is a "Light Weight" felt and the color is "Rutenio". Very light and malleable
Borsalino Rutenio LW 2 R.jpg
The ribbon is of matching color and with a particular bow
Borsalino Rutenio LW 4 R.jpg
The proportions are as follow: brim overwelted with a particular seam at 6 cm. Crown at 10.5 cm.
Borsalino Rutenio LW Interno R.jpg
The hat was fully cleaned and restitched brim welt, the restoration was made in Netherlands at Penumbra Hats
Borsalino Rutenio LW etichetta carta.jpg
It was made, probably in the late fifties, and sold in Italy
A "new" Borsalino for mediterranean midseason

A few words to explain my purchases of used hats. Here in Italy it is difficult to find old or vintage quality hats in my size (60) so I look for lots, maybe in different sizes, where to fish what I like, small sizes remain to be sold. Very often the hats in the lot are of different quality and then the doubt arises about the possibility of restoring some particularly valuable hat. It was the case of this lot of three Borsalino in which each had some defect.
Today the first one
View attachment 180739
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore Size is 5 1/2 or 7 1/4 US but, incredible for a Borsalino, it fit easily my 60 cm. head
View attachment 180740
The hat is a "Light Weight" felt and the color is "Rutenio". Very light and malleable
View attachment 180741
The ribbon is of matching color and with a particular bow
View attachment 180742
The proportions are as follow: brim overwelted with a particular seam at 6 cm. Crown at 10.5 cm.
View attachment 180743
The hat was fully cleaned and restitched brim welt, the restoration was made in Netherlands at Penumbra Hats
View attachment 180744
It was made, probably in the late fifties, and sold in Italy
A "new" Borsalino for mediterranean midseason
Excellent hat, Daniele. Can't wait to see the others. Rutenio is a very versatile colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ