The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dakota Ellison, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Steve1857

Steve1857 Call Me a Cab

Nice looking misto felt Borsalino, Stefan. There's something so appealing about a misto.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

hatsRme, deadlyhandsome and steur like this.
  2. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Steve. There is and that's why I had to have it!

Redfokker and Steve1857 like this.
  3. Miamibruno

Miamibruno Practically Family

This is a Swedish Borsalino. Has a wonderfully thick felt and a very wide brim binding.

IMG_2831.jpg IMG_2830.jpg IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2843.jpg IMG_2834.jpeg

4. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

It's the beard.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Redfokker and Pellie like this.
  5. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

6. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Recent find. Borsalino speciale in caffe colour. Ribbon is called bulgaro, which I haven't seen before. Overwelt brim at 5cm and crown 10 cm at the center dent. Nice hand, but not the best felt on a qualitá speciale to be honest. It has shrunk somewhat too, so it doesn't fit me. Dated label: 1981.

borsalinocaffe stoks_01.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_02.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_04.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_05.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_06.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_07.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_09.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_11.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_12.jpg borsalinocaffe stoks_13.jpg

7. Pellie

Pellie One of the Regulars

You can't stretch it?

Redfokker and steur like this.
  8. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

I could and I've already brought it close to what it should be like, but I won't bother any further. I have far better looking Borsalinos than this one, so it would not be worn. It's already on auction. Always worth the try though.

9. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

There have been several Averla colored hats and there have been quite a few Gorasgu models, but I think this may be the first Averla Gorasgu:

IMG_20190923_112231881.jpg IMG_20190923_120024250_HDR.jpg IMG_20190923_112249015.jpg IMG_1676.JPG
    Specs:
    2-5/8 Brim
    5-3/4 Crown (open)
    1-7/8 Ribbon
    3/8 Binding (symmetric)
    3.6oz Weight
    Unreeded sweat with corrugated venting in front. Ribbon color is Aligi, which up until a few months ago would have been a new color. (See post by @Steinbockhase.) Typical Qualita Superiore with simple colored medallion liner crest often found for American market hats. Somewhat atypical bound edge for the Gorasgu model, as the majority seem to be a felted edge.

Threw in a quick and dirty diamond bash for the pictures, but it feels like this felt will take anything with ease. Super soft, malleable, and lightweight, you could sneeze and probably crease this hat. This most recent addition just may have become my favorite hat in my collection.

10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Yes Jonathan you will marvel at this hat!
    Wonderful rich color and contrasting ribbon.
    Nice write up. I like the sneeze crease reference. I have the bound brim Gorasgu in Palladio c. Nero that does the wind crease. It’s so light it nearly floats away.
    Destined to be a favorite for sure!
    B

TheOldFashioned and Steve1857 like this.
  11. Steve1857

Steve1857 Call Me a Cab

Jonathan, that Borsalino is so nice in so many ways. Excellent description. I cannot begin to describe my envy. Looking forward to seeing photos of you wearing it. Congrats.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

TheOldFashioned likes this.
  12. A LOT to like about this one......are my eyes deceiving me.....a size 7 punti? Or is it 7 US?

TheOldFashioned likes this.
  13. TheOldFashioned

If I sneeze and it floats away I'll make sure I'm aiming southeast. And then I'll slap myself.

Storms moved through last night and cooler temps behind the front. Hoping to get some head time this week, so stay tuned.
    That would be a negative. It's a 7-3/8 and fits like a dream.
    (Sorry for the low resolution. Quick crop and zoom.)
    IMG_1680.JPG

14. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase A-List Customer

Very, very nice :)

Steve1857 and TheOldFashioned like this.
  15. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Magnificent hat and a great find, Jonathan. Averla is a wonderful colour and the Gorasgu is a very appealing one. I still need one. Glad that one is not my size. Congrats.

16. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Visited Amsterdam's biggest carboot-sale this weekend and waded through 750 stalls of mainly second hand and vintage clothing. All of ten decent hats to be found, two if which were worth bringing back with me. This is the first one.
    Modern Borsalino in mirtillo colour. Size 56, unlined, with the underwelt brim at 6cm and crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Very lightweight hat at only 82 grams and, for a nice change with Borsalino, this one doesn't run small. And it's blue, so it had to come. There was a period when Borsalino struggled with the quality of their hats, I think after the original factory closed down in the early eighties. This one has all the quality you'd expect of this brand though. My guess is late eighties to early nineties on this one (based on the model code on the label).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    These dark blue hats tend to look black in most pictures, so I've put it next to a black Stetson Imperial homburg for comparison.
    [​IMG]

17. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto Call Me a Cab

Stefan, I believe there has been a progressive decrease in quality since the 2000s in some models, others were and are masterpieces. It is clear that for a niche market, such as the hats market in the last forty years, I speak of Italy, it is very difficult to find quality and quantity in order to survive. However, last spring I bought four Borsalinos of the same period as yours, no logo on the bow, and they are of different quality, despite being from the same period. This blue "Mirtillo" is fantastic even if called with a number:)

Redfokker and steur like this.
  18. TheOldFashioned

19. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Thanks for posting....have been out of town camping.

TheOldFashioned and Redfokker like this.
  20. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto Call Me a Cab

This is just a preview for a rare Borsalino
    Borsalino Nebbia 2 R.jpg
    Stefan will do the photo shoot when the hat will in the Netherlands
    Meanwhile, the inside
    Borsalino Nebbia interno R.jpg
    and paper label
    Borsalino Nebbia etichetta carta R.jpg
    Size, as you see, is a 4 1/2 so a 56 cm.
    This came from Italy

AbbaDatDeHat, Tonio, steur and 6 others like this.