The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dakota Ellison, Jan 25, 2004.

1. steur

steur

I saw that one on offer and was wondering if it was a womens' hat. The pictures of it weren't conclusive. Interesting hat in a rare colour, Daniele.

2. steur

steur

Nice catch and certainly a Borsalino hat of high quality. The Marque Gran Luxe hats were aimed at the American market, which is probably why there are X's on the sweatband. As far as we know those don't have any meaning concerning the composition of the felt though. Borsalino hats that were made of either beaver or nutria (or otter for that matter) said so on the sweat or liner with "castoro", "nutria" (or "lontra"). Welcome to the lounge and welcome to the brotherhood!

3. steur

steur

Blare, Steve1857 and Arrowit like this.
  4. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

Thanks for all the information and the welcome Steur.

5. Blare

Blare One Too Many

New entry for consideration into the Borsalino Brotherhood

Borsalino Antica Casa - white long hair

The first of two wonderful Borsalino Antica Casa rollable hats that arrived together in their “coffin” boxes [emoji3545]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This hat is EXTREMELY soft... and somewhat floppy. Almost blanket like. Seems virtually no stiffener in the felt at all. It will however hold its shape fairly well with the brim up

[​IMG]

The texture is super fuzzy and soft.

[​IMG]

As others have mentioned these were intended to be removed from their coffin boxes after shipping and blocked into shape. However these hats do have a grosgrain sweatband that leaves them very malleable and certainly can roll and unroll with ease

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It is a size 4 or about 6 7/8 US size

Here is the manufacturer tag from under the sweat

[​IMG]

Alan had estimated date of these as mid to late 1960s based on the tag. Seems to fit with the styling as well. I’d love to see if you gentlemen concur.

I’m sure purely unintentional.. when this hat was packed and rolled however many years ago... it was folded A bit off axis so if you crease it along that fold you end up with a bit of the “Indy” turn... though far from an Indy hat. [emoji38][emoji1787]
    [​IMG]

I really love the ribbon on this hat

[​IMG]

It has a dashed gradient pattern that sort makes a greenish line towards the middle of the ribbon when viewed at a distance. Kind of hard to capture in photos though

[​IMG][​IMG]

The white long hair felt does have a few spots that are bit tan in color. I imagine this from aging though it could have been that way originally.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Overall I am very happy and somewhat pleasantly surprised with both of these little gems.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

While these hats were intended to only stay in these coffin boxes for shipment and then be steamed and blocked permanently into shape... Because of their unique nature and that these would not be daily wear type hats for me. I think I will allow these to remain in this state for posterity and actually unroll and use them on occasion as a pocket/travel hat. I humble hope the ‘hat police’ will let me slide on this. [emoji38]

And of course with its super soft and very pet able furry finish.. this one will be on hand if ever the ‘evil villain’ [emoji3163] urge hits

Best,
    Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Blare

Blare One Too Many

The Coffin Box - Part Deux

And now for the second of two rollable Borsalino hats to arrive together

Borsalino Antica Casa rollable in a beautiful deep emerald green

[​IMG][​IMG]

The size is 4 1/2 approx 7 in US size

[​IMG]

The felt on this hat has completely different properties than the white one. It has a velvety or velour texture and holds its shape much better it is a bit more dense and somewhat more stiff. Indicated on the grosgrain sweat is Qualita Superiore

[​IMG]

The small bow on this hat sits on the right side indicating it may have been intended as a woman’s hat however it is somewhat masculine in its lines.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The grosgrain sweat band as with both of these hats allows it to be malleable and rollable. This hat creases into a fairly decent shape by hand... but would definitely benefit from steam and blocking.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is its manufacturer tag

[​IMG]

I really am very happy with both of these hats

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Alan had estimate manufacturing date maybe around mid 1960s.

Though these type of hats were intended to only stay in their coffin boxes for shipment home then reblocked to perfection. Being that these two hats would not be daily wear style of hats for me, I think I will keep them in their rolled states as very cool examples of this type of hat and coffin box. And take them out on occasion to use as a travel hat.

This one though may have to make an appearance for St Patrick's day!

Best,
    Joe

EVERY Day is HAT Day!!!!

7. steur

steur

Your place in the brotherhood was secured when you decided to pull the trigger on these, Joe. These coffin box hats are a very interesting part of Borsalino history. The more we see of them the better.

belfastboy, Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  8. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Thank you Stefan. Induction accepted!

"Borsalino Borsalino Oh Wow Wow!"

Best,
    Joe

EVERY Day is HAT Day!!!!

Steve1857 and steur like this.
  9. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Plus one on that, Stefan.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Blare and steur like this.
  10. Steve1857

Very cool finds, Joe. They truly deserve their place in the Brotherhood as does the canny guy who bagged 'em [emoji145]

Rmccamey, Blare and steur like this.
  11. Steve1857

I'll be very disappointed if I don't see a post of you wearing that one on the 17th of March, Joe.

Rmccamey, Blare and steur like this.
  12. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Thank you sir. I hope not to disappoint

Best,
    Joe

EVERY Day is HAT Day!!!!

Steve1857 likes this.
  13. Steve1857

You never do, Joe.

Blare likes this.
  14. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw Practically Family

IMG_0361.JPG
    My second Borsalino. Looks mostly like a taller crowned, newer copy of my first Borsa.
    It’s called a “Super Borsalino”. Maybe it’s a superhero’s hat. Hey, @Steve1857 did you sell your hat on eBay for Fifty bucks, free shipping?
    I’m guessing its vintage to be in the sixties? Seventies?
    Has four embossed x’s, which, May mean absolutely nothing, as well.
    This hat came to me with a busted out rear seam as you will see in the original pics from the auction. I’ll share the way I fix such a problem. A good looking fix in my opinion.

IMG_0359.JPG
    I cut a v shaped notch and add a piece from an old discarded sweat and glue a small piece of cloth to the backside with rubber cement, deliberately using a lighter shade of sweat so it looks almost intentional.
    The seam could be sewn, but I think unsewn looks better, and yes, I’ve tried both.

I’ve spent a total of a hundred bucks for two near identical Borsalino homburgs. Not a bad deal , except now I don’t know which to wear when I want to dress up in black.
    Btw, I’ve also fairly recently picked a black Stetson homburg that could be these burgs long lost third brother. HAS. What can one do?
    HAS tells me to choose one and change the ribbon color so one will differ somewhat.
    My HAS talks to me , too, @Blare. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Rmccamey, steur, Pellie and 6 others like this.
  15. Randall Renshaw

16. Blare

Blare One Too Many

I like what you did with the sweat Randall. Very cool.

Best,
    Joe

——— EVERY Day is HAT Day!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randall Renshaw likes this.
  17. steur

steur

That's a very good looking homburg, Randall. I like the sweatband fix as well; doesn't detract from the hat. And sometimes we tend to forget here that sweatbands used to be changed in hats all the time. Judging by the label the hat dates from the mid to late fifties.

Steve1857, Randall Renshaw and Blare like this.
  18. Randall Renshaw

Thanks for the positive comment, Stefan.
    Was a little worried the fix might ruffle foreign feathers. Whew!
    Thanks also, for the dating. I should quit guessing on these Italian hats. If I guess older, it’s newer, or reversed.
    Good to hear this one is older than I thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steur, Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  19. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

I received the Borsa Torino today in a smashed box. I'll give it a day or so to see if it will come back into shape on its own before steaming out the creases. I'll have to drop it off at Henry The Hatter and have a new sweatband installed as this one is already flaking. The felt is medium weight and easily conforms and holds any bash I throw at it. Overall I'm very pleased with this $50 investment and I'm sure it will become my everyday hat, my knock around Borsa. It does have the dark sweatband and the liner appears to be glued in. Would anyone like to give me a date on this hat? Please and Thank You... Borsalino Torino1.JPG Borsalino Torino.JPG Borsalino Torino2.JPG Borsalino Torino4.JPG Borsalino Torino5.JPG

20. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

I let myself be seduced by a magnificent Borsalino owned by Bowen color M. Agata and when I found a similar one on the Italian market I bought it
    [​IMG]
    Borsalino size 5 or 57 cm.
    [​IMG]
    The Borsalino has lost its lining over the course of its life and needs to be remodeled mainly because it "keeps the imprint" of the previous shape. Some problems also in the sweatband
    [​IMG]
    The color of the felt is "M. Agata" the color of the ribbon "Coffee" and the type "Ecosca"
    [​IMG]
    These are the measures: the brim are at 6 cm, the crown at 12 and the ribbon is 3 cm high.
    [​IMG]
    Made in Italy and sold in Sardinia, a magnificent island in the Mediterranean, in the 1950s
    [​IMG]
    Also for this purchase the love for the hats that I like is worth, I hope it will make some loungers happy