Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Ivory Alessandria

This is a recently arrived Borsalino Alessandria. The inside label lists the color as "Avorio", or "ivory." As advertised, this lid is in absolutely mint condition. The felt is super soft -- it's a pleasure just to run my hands over it. There is a price tag on this one that lists the original price as $20. Open crown is approximately 5 1/2", and brim width is just a tad under 2 3/4". The gold on the liner sticker and in the Borsalino logo on the sweat shimmers with green, red and gold in natural light -- it is hard to re-create with the camera, but it does show up a bit in these photos. Very cool. This is just a beautiful lid.

OpenCrown-31.jpg

BorsoLiner-3.jpg

BorsoLogo.jpg

BorsoSweat-1.jpg

BorsoAvorioTag.jpg

BorsoPriceTag.jpg

IvoryBorso-1.jpg

IvoryBorso-2.jpg

IvoryBorso-3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
This is a recently arrived Borsalino Alessandria. The inside label lists the color as "Avorio", or "ivory." As advertised, this lid is in absolutely mint condition. The felt is super soft -- it's a pleasure just to run my hands over it. There is a price tag on this one that lists the original price as $20. Open crown is approximately 5 1/2", and brim width is just a tad under 2 3/4". The gold on the liner sticker and in the Borsalino logo on the sweat shimmers with green, red and gold in natural light -- it is hard to re-create with the camera, but it does show up a bit in these photos. Very cool. This is just a beautiful lid.

OpenCrown-31.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

There's a reason why this is one of Borsalino's most enduring models. Fabulous acquisition, jtl! Congrats!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
The gold on the liner sticker and in the Borsalino logo on the sweat shimmers with green, red and gold in natural light -- it is hard to re-create with the camera, but it does show up a bit in these photos. Very cool.

BorsoSweat-1.jpg

Very cool indeed. I have an old Worser that gives that rainbow effect when the gold stamping is in the light. I wonder if it was originally designed to look like that or if it's a patina from age. [huh]

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, Jim! That is really beautiful. I'll say you've been gathering some nice one in while you've been away. Very nice!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
aborso5.jpg

This is an intentional feature, and correct me if I'm wrong fellas, but that would make it a lot older than the 60's. [huh]
Although this is more common on early hats anyone could do it at any time. Some hatters(or cleaners)might do it. The factory stamp seems to have come into use early 1950's and continued into the 1960's.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Neil said:
Take a look at the updated Borsalino website. But the hat on the landing page is fascinating. It's in front of a box that says "Borsalino Vicuna."
A fedora made of Vicuna fur felt?

Per the website, the hat in question is 20% vicuna. They say that the blend gives the hat an especially nice look and touch. They also say it's warmer.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Thanks for posting the article Lefty.
Like most guys here I own several vintage Borsalinos,....but haven't had a chance to compare them to a new one.
Based on what others have said I can only imagine the company's modern offerings fail to even come close to the quaility of those old beauties, which would be contrary to the author's account.

But it was nice read anyhow.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Lefty said:
article in The Rake magazine about Borsalino

There's lots of puffing and nonsense, but it's something to read.

Great find, Lefty! Thank you for posting!

I do like this particular passage: „The true secret of Borsalino hats lies in the hands of the person who produces them, because the felt speaks in the hands, strong but at the same time sensitive hands, able not only to feel the minimum imperfections, but also to recognise the quality and type of fur by touch.“

Maybe, the secret hand should listen to one of the long gone and now silent felt poets of the past resting on shelves in the Alessandria hat museum.

I just grabbed a modern Borso - my gentle, jet strong hands politely asking. Do you know, what it told me? "Shut the fxxk up and don´t ask intimidating questions! Here is my brandname! Don´t touch me again or else I will loose my structural integrity! :rage: :rage: :rage: :p :p :p "

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
Thanks for posting the article Lefty.
Like most guys here I own several vintage Borsalinos,....but haven't had a chance to compare them to a new one.
Based on what others have said I can only imagine the company's modern offerings fail to even come close to the quaility of those old beauties, which would be contrary to the author's account.

But it was nice read anyhow.

I held a beaver Borso the other day and it was nice...but it was new and not broken in, so tough for someone with not-so-strong-and-gentle hands to really coax the truth out of.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
New Borsalino...

I got this from ebay. It's in fantastic condition. Here are some pictures, not great because of the light but they'll do for now. The hat is a tan/grayish/lavender shade. It is very light and it resembles my Knox Vagabond. Would you guys help me date this one, please?

Before:
BemevymkKGrHqUH-EUErgzZ7NkhBK94T51O.jpg

BemeUBmkKGrHqMH-DMEreKy2P1DBK94ZLPg.jpg

After:

DSC04328.jpg

DSC04327.jpg

It has two minor discolorations on the left side, visible only on certain lights.
DSC04337.jpg

DSC04336.jpg

The tag inside says "Quarzo" (english for Quartz) as the color. The tag has other deails which I would like to know more. It says "d. Nera" which I asume may describe the black ribbon. The third word is "Ecosax" which I have no idea what it might refer. Any clues?

DSC04331.jpg

Beme0LQmkKGrHqMH-EEErfwwoEq0BK94jGi.jpg

I love that the ribbon (I've never seen this before) is sewn in the outside with very thin thread that goes over it (on the very top, almost over the seam), inside through the felt and back outside all the around.

DSC04344.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
We live in an age of hype. Hats have a zillion Xs. Well, I don't have
to tell you about hype in our society- it's all around us.

But when I see, "Extra Superiore" on what appears to be a 50s-era
Borsalino, I know that's what it is.

Enjoy!

Aureliano said:
I love that the ribbon (I've never seen this before) is sewn in the outside with very thin thread that goes over it (on the very top, almost over the seam), inside through the felt and back outside all the around.

DSC04344.jpg

That is a fairly common treatment.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
We live in an age of hype. Hats have a zillion Xs. Well, I don't have
to tell you about hype in our society- it's all around us.

But when I see, "Extra Superiore" on what appears to be a 50s-era
Borsalino, I know that's what it is.

Enjoy!

I know what you're talking about, man. Thanks for helping with the date. This hat feels amazing!:D

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
First time I've ever seen it. But then again, there is so much in life I haven't seen yet ...:( :eek: :D
Yeah, first time for me too - none of my other hats have it, including my 4 other Borsalinos, one which also is an Alessandria (though of a different vintage than the one I posted previously).

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's a recently arrived brown Alessandria, which has survived through the years in pristine condition. The size tag on this one is reminiscent of the red/cream tags used on pre-50's Borsos for the Euro market, so I wonder if this one could actually be late 40's. Don't really know. Either way, the felt on this one is just beautiful to the touch -- lightweight, dense and soft. From a distance, this lid looks like a chocolate brown, but the brown actually has a reddish undertone. The photos of the hat were taken outdoors without flash, and this reddish quality really comes through.

BrBorso-1.jpg

BrBorsoLiner.jpg

BrBorsoLabel.jpg

BorsoSweat-2.jpg

BorsoSweat-2-1.jpg

BrBorso-3.jpg

BrBorso-4.jpg

BrBorso-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads