Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino

This is a black Borsalino (size 6 1/2 Punti) made for the German market. I am thinking late 50s early 60s. Not bad for a $23.00 pick up.

4181049146_9c4731dfb4_b.jpg

4181049176_fb124cdc9b_b.jpg

4181049024_6c6c7bc52e_b.jpg

4181048930_c1870f1807_b.jpg

4181048958_1be29a04b2_b.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dreispitz said:
Muflone, lat. ovis gmelini musimon (not to be confused with Pokemon), endemic to the Alpine region. In fact a wilde sheep.

Very nice. I have several hats that I have always considered to be the color of a wild sheep, but now I can shorten my sentences when describing them.

But seriously, great hat - a lot of beautiful Borsos are posted here, but this one's bothe beautiful and unusual...and larger than 6 7/8!

Matt Deckard said:
export quality ay?

Yes. The German market Borsalinos from this time period all have the Export Qualität stamp. They also have similar liner and sweat details.

jimmy the lid said:
I'm with Sue on this one. Nice Borso, mayserwegener! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Sir!

billysmom

One Too Many
Midwest Boater said:
my application to the brotherhood
v489z6.jpg

and the mug of course
2iv09he.jpg

i hope you all love this hat as much as i do

I have an Augusta and it's one of my favorites! Fantastic felt and terrific detail. Looks good on you!

Sue

Tooch

One of the Regulars
My first Borsalino

It's a rollable Borsalino, box included. The ebay seller listed it as "brown" but it's really a taupe (which I like, since I think the color matches a wider range of clothes) with a brown ribbon. The crown is 5" high, uncreased. The brim is 1 7/8" on the sides, and 2 1/8" front and back.

IMG_0843.jpg

It had obviously been stored, rolled, in the box for a long time, but some steam loosened the creases quickly.

IMG_0841.jpg

I see very few signs of wear. The sweatband looks like it probably appeared on the shelf in Modena, and the liner is unsoiled.

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

The hat takes a dry bash without fuss -- which I assume is the whole point of a rollable travel hat.

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

I know that dating by the serial number has pretty much been given up as a lost cause, but if anybody cares to try ...

IMG_0861.jpg

The felt is very soft and malleable -- comparable to my Dobbs VVL, though it has more "memory" than the Dobbs -- it takes just a little more tugging and pressing to get it to lose a crease, though it does so pretty easily.

I usually wear wider brims, but this doesn't strike me as too rat-packy (not that there's anything wrong with the Rat Pack). I think it'll work especially well in urban/business settings.

billysmom

One Too Many
Tooch said:
I usually wear wider brims, but this doesn't strike me as too rat-packy (not that there's anything wrong with the Rat Pack). I think it'll work especially well in urban/business settings.

Nice, Tooch! I think the brim's quite generous enough; it looks good on you. Congrats!

Sue

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Many thanks! My wife prefers somewhat narrower brims, too, so having a few in the rotation makes my taste for hats easier for her to appreciate.

Nice, Tooch! I think the brim's quite generous enough; it looks good on you. Congrats!

billysmom

One Too Many
Borsalino Ladies' Velours

Two hauled in from the bay:

DSCF1814.jpg

DSCF1817.jpg

DSCF1816.jpg

DSCF1815.jpg

The matching hat pin could come in handy! :rolleyes:

The beret has a sixties feel to it.

DSCF1812.jpg

The fat end goes in front. I'll have to get a noggin shot from the side to illustrate.

DSCF1813.jpg

Both will go well with many suits in my closet! :D

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
Third Borsalino today

The third Borsalino that arrived today is a bowler:

DSCF1818.jpg

I love the liner!

DSCF1819.jpg

2 1/8" sweat:

DSCF1821.jpg

DSCF1826.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

Note the classic corrugation:

DSCF1824.jpg

DSCF1827.jpg

It's been crunched at some point, but a bit of steam evened out the dimples and disguised the one small crack in the brim. Altogether a wonderful lid!

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk