Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Nutria Feather Weight... a gift from a friend.

062221_2.jpg

062221_3.jpg

062221_4.jpg

062221_1.jpg

This little gem arrived a couple days ago. Great condition with thin dense felt that cheerfully takes a dry crease. 5 1/2 inch open crown and 2 1/2 inch raw edge brim.

View attachment 343122 View attachment 343123 View attachment 343124 View attachment 343125 View attachment 343126 View attachment 343127 View attachment 343128 View attachment 343129 View attachment 343130 View attachment 343131
Gorgeous hat, Brent. A real gem. Dattero is a great colour and it really shows well in the sunshine.

Took a chance on a lot of hats from Etsy that Brent pointed out to me. Listed as size 54, but the seller gave some measurements that pointed towards size 56 or even 57, so I took the plunge.
five7.jpg

The good news is they are indeed all size 56 en 57. The bad news is they aren't really my style (mostly). One or two of them can stay and the rest I'll find a new master for.
The other good new is I found some new colours that we haven't seen before and I can give you a new theory on the meaning of one of the numbers on the labels.
Borsalino Alba Lightweight. Short brimmed fedora in grey. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 4,2cm and the crown at 10cm. Lightweight indeed with only 89 grams, but them it is a very stingy brim. Made for Guiseppe Marino, Napoli, who chose a great liner.

borsalino alba_01.jpg
borsalino alba_02.jpg
borsalino alba_03.jpg
borsalino alba_04.jpg
borsalino alba_06.jpg
borsalino alba_08.jpg
borsalino alba_10.jpg
borsalino alba_12.jpg
borsalino alba_13.jpg

The second one of this batch.
Borsalino Tannino lightweight hat. Brown porkpie in a size 57, with the raw edge brim at 4,2cm and the crown at 10cm. Same weight as the Alba above with 89 grams. Not a style I go for, even if others wear it with great panache.
Tannino is also a colour not seen before and Borsalino keeps surprising with its unsurpassed range of colours. Now here's a theory concerning the numbers on the label. We know the number on the upper right refers to the model and felt (in this case A5329). We don't know exactly how, but that much we know. This one and the Alba are the same model and felt. Different colour and shaped differently, but basically the same. They were also made for the same retailer and what we see is that the numbers on the upper right side of the label are consecutive numbers (numbers 75387 and 75388). This leads me to the theory that these numbers refer to the retailer and specific hat as part of an order.

borsalino tannino_01.jpg
borsalino tannino_02.jpg
borsalino tannino_03.jpg
borsalino tannino_04.jpg
borsalino tannino_06.jpg
borsalino tannino_08.jpg
borsalino tannino_09.jpg
borsalino tannino_11.jpg
borsalino tannino_12.jpg
borsalino tannino_13.jpg

Let's do one more. Not from this batch (the others need a little more steaming and brushing to be presentable).
Echter Borsalino fedora in Bismuto colour. Export Qualität Gran Lusso, size 55, with the bound brim at 5,2cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Made for the German Market. Early seventies. Weighs only 99 grams.

borsalino55 bismuto_01.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_02.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_03.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_04.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_06.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_08.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_10.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_11.jpg
borsalino55 bismuto_13.jpg

Part of the Borsalino hat haul from Greece.
Borsalino Misto Grafite fedora. Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Misto Grafite is another new colour, just like the Alba and the Tannino we've seen before. Lightweight means 94 grams in this case. And I saw I made mistake in the numbers theory for the Borsalino labels; mixed up left and right (doh!:rolleyes:). The number on the upper left (left!) is for the model and felt and the number on the upper right (right!) is for the order number (or that's the theory at least).
Anyway: without further ado, here's the misto grafite. Didn't post it before because the ribbon was a mess and had to be replaced. I won't win any prizes, but the replacement one looks at least halfway decent I think.

borsalino-m-grafite_01-jpg.344674
borsalino-m-grafite_02-jpg.344675
borsalino-m-grafite_03-jpg.344676
borsalino-m-grafite_04-jpg.344677
borsalino-m-grafite_05-jpg.344678
borsalino-m-grafite_06-jpg.344679
borsalino-m-grafite_07-jpg.344680
borsalino-m-grafite_09-jpg.344681
borsalino-m-grafite_10-jpg.344682
borsalino-m-grafite_12-jpg.344683

While I love my misto felts the previous one is not going to stay; there's something about the proportions that makes it not the hat for me.
This one certainly is. It's the one that made me go for the Greek hat lot in the first place.
Borsalino Empaspo 401/2 in grey. The colour part of the label is missing, but I think it's either bismuto or rodio. Size 56 with the felted brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. The "feltrato" edge was done superbly thin and delicate; lovely work. Made for Guiseppe Marino of Napoli, with his own wonderful liner design. Weighs only 89 grams.
The motto on the liner translates roughly into : where there's better, lesser loses meaning.

borsalino empaspo_01.jpg
borsalino empaspo_02.jpg
borsalino empaspo_03.jpg
borsalino empaspo_04.jpg
borsalino empaspo_06.jpg
borsalino empaspo_07.jpg
borsalino empaspo_08.jpg
borsalino empaspo_09.jpg
borsalino empaspo_10.jpg
borsalino empaspo_12.jpg

To make up for the missing hat of the Greek hat haul (the Mogano coloured hat could not be saved) here's a special treat. This one came in from Croatia and arrived within just a few days. The UK postal services should take some lessons there; been waiting for a month now for a hat from England and no movement noticeable yet.
Anyway, I digress.
Borsalino qualitá Augusta Eiarsan fedora in Senapa (mustard) colour. Both model and colour are new and haven't been seen before, which is why I went for this hat in the first place. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 9,5cm at the center dent. This one is interesting for another reason as well: it has the separate size sticker and we can confirm Steve's @mayserwegener conclusion that these date to the early forties. His example was datestamped and this one isn't. So, how can we confirm this then? Well, the retailers are Fratelli Vuckovic from Cattaro. Cattaro was and is known as Kotor near Dubrovnik in Montenegro and it was only known as Cattaro during a brief period in WWII, namely from 1941-1943 when it was part of the Kingdom of Italy. How cool is that?
The hat is in plendid condition. Another feature not seen before is the stamping on the inside of the felt just above the Borsalino logo on the sweatband. Also a lightweight hat with just 92 grams.

borsalino senapa_01.jpg
borsalino senapa_02.jpg
borsalino senapa_03.jpg
borsalino senapa_04.jpg
borsalino senapa_06.jpg
borsalino senapa_07.jpg
borsalino senapa_08.jpg
borsalino senapa_09.jpg
borsalino senapa_10.jpg
borsalino senapa_11.jpg

Part of the Borsalino hat haul from Greece.
Borsalino Misto Grafite fedora. Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Misto Grafite is another new colour, just like the Alba and the Tannino we've seen before. Lightweight means 94 grams in this case. And I saw I made mistake in the numbers theory for the Borsalino labels; mixed up left and right (doh!:rolleyes:). The number on the upper left (left!) is for the model and felt and the number on the upper right (right!) is for the order number (or that's the theory at least).
Anyway: without further ado, here's the misto grafite. Didn't post it before because the ribbon was a mess and had to be replaced. I won't win any prizes, but the replacement one looks at least halfway decent I think.

borsalino-m-grafite_01-jpg.344674
borsalino-m-grafite_02-jpg.344675
borsalino-m-grafite_03-jpg.344676
borsalino-m-grafite_04-jpg.344677
borsalino-m-grafite_05-jpg.344678
borsalino-m-grafite_06-jpg.344679
borsalino-m-grafite_07-jpg.344680
borsalino-m-grafite_09-jpg.344681
borsalino-m-grafite_10-jpg.344682
borsalino-m-grafite_12-jpg.344683
I like the replacement ribbon

While I love my misto felts the previous one is not going to stay; there's something about the proportions that makes it not the hat for me.
This one certainly is. It's the one that made me go for the Greek hat lot in the first place.
Borsalino Empaspo 401/2 in grey. The colour part of the label is missing, but I think it's either bismuto or rodio. Size 56 with the felted brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. The "feltrato" edge was done superbly thin and delicate; lovely work. Made for Guiseppe Marino of Napoli, with his own wonderful liner design. Weighs only 89 grams.
The motto on the liner translates roughly into : where there's better, lesser loses meaning.

View attachment 344684 View attachment 344685 View attachment 344686 View attachment 344687 View attachment 344688 View attachment 344689 View attachment 344690 View attachment 344691 View attachment 344692 View attachment 344693
Really really nice Stefan. I don’t see that many felted edge Borsis

To make up for the missing hat of the Greek hat haul (the Mogano coloured hat could not be saved) here's a special treat. This one came in from Croatia and arrived within just a few days. The UK postal services should take some lessons there; been waiting for a month now for a hat from England and no movement noticeable yet.
Anyway, I digress.
Borsalino qualitá Augusta Eiarsan fedora in Senapa (mustard) colour. Both model and colour are new and haven't been seen before, which is why I went for this hat in the first place. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 9,5cm at the center dent. This one is interesting for another reason as well: it has the separate size sticker and we can confirm Steve's @mayserwegener conclusion that these date to the early forties. His example was datestamped and this one isn't. So, how can we confirm this then? Well, the retailers are Fratelli Vuckovic from Cattaro. Cattaro was and is known as Kotor near Dubrovnik in Montenegro and it was only known as Cattaro during a brief period in WWII, namely from 1941-1943 when it was part of the Kingdom of Italy. How cool is that?
The hat is in plendid condition. Another feature not seen before is the stamping on the inside of the felt just above the Borsalino logo on the sweatband. Also a lightweight hat with just 92 grams.

View attachment 344694 View attachment 344695 View attachment 344696 View attachment 344697 View attachment 344698 View attachment 344699 View attachment 344700 View attachment 344701 View attachment 344702 View attachment 344703
Fantastic history lesson along with that one. Really sharp hat.

Anyway, I digress.

View attachment 344694 View attachment 344695 View attachment 344696 View attachment 344697 View attachment 344698 View attachment 344699 View attachment 344700 View attachment 344701 View attachment 344702 View attachment 344703
Stefan, Great find and background info! I think there is enough evidence (date stamps) that Echter Borsalino with the separate size stamp are late 1930s early 1940s. This one also has a similar sweatband type as some of the Echter Borsalino with the separate size stamp. What is interesting is the sweatband seam is stitched. What does that look like? Is it possible it was restored / modified (stamp on felt) by Borsalino?

I like the replacement ribbon
Really really nice Stefan. I don’t see that many felted edge Borsis
Fantastic history lesson along with that one. Really sharp hat.
Thanks, Joe. Felted edges are certainly uncommon for Borsalino. They did do them, but I've got only four in my collection. It's more common on American made hats.

Stefan, Great find and background info! I think there is enough evidence (date stamps) that Echter Borsalino with the separate size stamp are late 1930s early 1940s. This one also has a similar sweatband type as some of the Echter Borsalino with the separate size stamp. What is interesting is the sweatband seam is stitched. What does that look like? Is it possible it was restored / modified (stamp on felt) by Borsalino?

Thanks, Steve. The sweatband stitching looks to be original; I don't see any signs the hat was modified in some way. The hat looks basically unworn. The stitching on Borsalinos seems to vary. I've seen several later hats without the stitching and the ones that are stitched show both straight and zigzag patterns.

Thanks, Joe. Felted edges are certainly uncommon for Borsalino. They did do them, but I've got only four in my collection. It's more common on American made hats.

Thanks, Steve. The sweatband stitching looks to be original; I don't see any signs the hat was modified in some way. The hat looks basically unworn. The stitching on Borsalinos seems to vary. I've seen several later hats without the stitching and the ones that are stitched show both straight and zigzag patterns.
Stefan, Is this the case with the sweatband seam? I believe all my Echter Borsalino are glued (but small sample size). What is after Tipo / Type?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo