Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Are my credentials in order?...

Here's my brown Allesandria
94920711_o.jpg

94920737_o.jpg

94920757_o.jpg

And my dark blue Trionfo
95850656_o.jpg

95850689_o.jpg

95850722_o.jpg

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Italian Sizes

I know I've seen this answered before but I can never find it when I need it -- what are the equivalencies for these Italian sizes and American sizes? That is, what what 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2 on the older Italian hats correspond to in inches and/or our current sizing system? Even more to the point, given I only care about me, what is MY Italian size if I am a 23"-7 3/8?

And what is the technical term for the Italian sizes?

Forgive my lack of memory on this point, which may even be answered earlier in this thread.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
PhilS said:
I know I've seen this answered before but I can never find it when I need it -- what are the equivalencies for these Italian sizes and American sizes? That is, what what 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2 on the older Italian hats correspond to in inches and/or our current sizing system? Even more to the point, given I only care about me, what is MY Italian size if I am a 23"-7 3/8?

Here's some interesting background on the Punti Hat Sizing Sytem.

And here's a Conversion Chart.

Cheers,
JtL

shortbow

Practically Family
ID a Borsalino?

Greetings Gents. This is my first post. My Sunday-go-to meeting hat is a very fine OR type Borsalino, bought by my father in El Paso in the 'fifties. It is still mint, a very light weight felt, the finest quality felt I've personally seen in more than 30 years of wearing hats, mostly Open Roads and such.

My question is how do you grade a Borsalino? Besides this one, I have another vintage Bors coming I just scored on ebay and would like to know more about them.

Thanks

YETI

A-List Customer
I'd gladly join...

Marc Chevalier said:

It is said that America is (or at least was) a nation of joiners. Yup. Witness the Open Road Guild; the Stratoliner Society; and the aptly named Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon.

Time to add to the mix. We hereby grant a charter to the BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD.

I've got three Borsalino homburgs that don't suit me, and I'm selling them soon ... so they don't count. But THIS is different:

---------------------------------- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=270050553065&rd=1&rd=1

The hat on the left is a 1930s Borsalino, made for the U.S. market. It just arrived today. I'm busy reblocking and stretching it a bit, so photos will have to wait. In any case, this Borsalino is a keeper and I choose it to induct me into the hallowed BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD.

Join us, paisano!

but I sold all mine :(

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Originally Posted by PhilS:

jimmy the lid said:
Here's some interesting background on the Punti Hat Sizing Sytem.

And here's a Conversion Chart.

Cheers,
JtL

I struggled with this before. The first reference (and two others I've found) says the Punti size is the circumference in inches divided by pi + 1, or 4.145 (using the "Hatter's pi" rather than the exact version).

Let's say your head diameter is a whopping 24 inches. Then, 24/4.145 = 5.79, which is somewhere in the netherland between a 5-1/2 and a 6 Punti.

Now the referenced chart (and others like that I've seen) say a 24 inch circumference would be a size 7 Punti. Ooops. See the problem?

On the other end of the scale of inaccuracy, a 22 inch circumference head (US size 7 or 56 cm) should theoretically be 22/4.145 = 5.3 Punti. Rounded off, 5-1/2 Punti. The chart indicates that it is 4-1/2 Punti.

Nowhere on the web has anyone addressed this discrepancy. I suppose it's best to just ignore the theory and go with the chart, whatever on earth it's basis.

- Bill

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Originally Posted by PhilS:

I struggled with this before. The first reference (and two others I've found) says the Punti size is the circumference in inches divided by pi + 1, or 4.145 (using the "Hatter's pi" rather than the exact version).

Let's say your head diameter is a whopping 24 inches. Then, 24/4.145 = 5.79, which is somewhere in the netherland between a 5-1/2 and a 6 Punti.

Now the referenced chart (and others like that I've seen) say a 24 inch circumference would be a size 7 Punti. Ooops. See the problem?

On the other end of the scale of inaccuracy, a 22 inch circumference head (US size 7 or 56 cm) should theoretically be 22/4.145 = 5.3 Punti. Rounded off, 5-1/2 Punti. The chart indicates that it is 4-1/2 Punti.

Nowhere on the web has anyone addressed this discrepancy. I suppose it's best to just ignore the theory and go with the chart, whatever on earth it's basis.

- Bill

Woodfluter, Are you a Georgia Tech alumnus, perchance? :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The new:
2530620891_9df2586017.jpg

2530620899_8b727ec831.jpg

The old is the softest, most floppy hat I've held. It's like a 43 year old (by BK's dating method), sad looking teddy bear - not the most beautiful of possessions, but well-loved.

The new is the hat I wear most often because it's the most replaceable hat I own - even though the old was under $3 at an estate sale.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You've been posting some great lids lately, Gene! These are some nice Borso's -- but, MAN, I am LOVIN' that green lid! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
You've been posting some great lids lately, Gene! These are some nice Borso's -- but, MAN, I am LOVIN' that green lid! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks gents. I've got it in mind to wear the green one with a yellowish silk shirt at my caricature gig tomorrow night.

I took a little break from acquisitions recently and spent some time photographing and uploading so I can 'show-and-tell' with you folks more often! Still a few to go...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maybe they transposed the numbering system between 65 and 67 and my "new" one is a 67. Checking into the wonderful cav edge thread, there were still 5 years to go before the process came to an end, so I think that 67 is probably right.

As my old flickr photos are gone, here are the borso from my older post that I can't edit.
The New
borsalinomodern1.jpg

borsalinomodern2.jpg

The Old (a 65 beater from BK's dating system)
borsalinovintage1.jpg

borsalinovintage2.jpg

borsalinovintage4.jpg

borsalinovintage5.jpg

borsalinovintage6.jpg

borsalinovintage7.jpg

bosalinovintage8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21