Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
Congrats M_Jones, be sure to post some photos Please. I have a gut feeling these hats are really good.

I would love to but I don't have a digital camera. My computer is also ten years old (yep, that's right ten) and I still have dial up. This is why I must stop with the hats for a while. lol I will try to work something out though.

Regards,
Hollis

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Green Allesandria

Just got this one back from a cleaning at Optimo, and it really is in pristine condition. The felt is exceptionally lightweight and smooth. The color is an absolutely gorgeous shade of green. On the vintage color charts, it doesn't appear to be far off from Stetson's "Bermuda Green." I have been looking for a green thin-ribbon for quite some time, and this one also happens to allow me to apply for membership to the Borsalino Brotherhood...:)

OpenCrown-12.jpg

Liner-10.jpg

Borsalino.jpg

BenEstesCo.jpg

RtProfile.jpg

RtProfile2.jpg

Outside-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another great hat with the trademark JtL C-Crown™. :eusa_clap

When you sent it to Optimo for a cleaning exactly what did they do? It seems all the original parts are there so how do they clean without disassembling?

ideaguy

One Too Many
GREAT HAT!! I won something eerily similar a while back-my hat's the same as yours, with a slight difference in color; in the shots of the hat on the white cloth, where the hat is the darkest-it almost matches my hat; I think mine is a bit darker, has some hue of dark green that's just impossible to shoot correctly, but I'll do my darndest-be great to see the two together on the same page.
In lieu of photos, I'll lobby for induction into the Borsalino Brotherhood on the basis of my sales of my own Borsa's to Lounge members-
when it's all said & done, a great Borsalino beats 'em all.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Gents. :)

Alan -- the liner is removed for the cleaning and blocking. Otherwise, everything stays intact. Once the blocking is complete, the liner is sewn back in.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ideaguy said:
I think mine is a bit darker, has some hue of dark green that's just impossible to shoot correctly, but I'll do my darndest

It would be great to see the photos of your lid, ideaguy -- post away!

Cheers,
JtL

Stan

A-List Customer
Have one just like this....

DOUGLAS said:
This is my newest older model. I really like this hat. It has a velvety finish and great proportions. It fits like a glove too. I love when that happens. it is not pristine but it works for me.
DSCN4292.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4291.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4289.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4290.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4285.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4288.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4257.jpg
[/IMG]
This hat has an old world charm about it.

May I join this group as well??

The only difference is that mine has the old French size '4 1/2' on the tag. It's also not in quite as nice a shape (some yellowing to the liner), but it'll do! :D

Later!

Stan

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kabuto said:
Talking with Peters Bros. on the phone, I was told that the Borsalino Alessandrias that they sell need to have the crease specified in advance and can't be hand-creased (i.e., they're stiff). (They said the Borsalino Traveler is soft.)

Are Alessandrias stiff? Somehow I thought they were soft (never having touched one in person).

This doesn't sound right to me, Kabuto. I don't profess to know what the story is with Peter Bros. -- but, as a general matter, the Allesandria should be fairly soft and shapeable by hand. If you go to the Miller Hats website, you will see that the various manifestations of the Allesandria specify that they have been "hand-creased." Also, the "Alexandria" version is specifically made available in an open crown.

Cheers,
JtL

Rick Blaine

kabuto said:
Talking with Peters Bros. on the phone, I was told that the Borsalino Alessandrias that they sell need to have the crease specified in advance and can't be hand-creased (i.e., they're stiff). (They said the Borsalino Traveler is soft.)

Are Alessandrias stiff? Somehow I thought they were soft (never having touched one in person).

...sounds like total BS, IMHO. Mine are as soft as a baby duck's butt. Levine's Hats in St. Louis has a sale on their Alessandrias, brims at both 2.5" & 3" in sizes 6 3/4, 6 7/8, 7 & 71/8 for less than $150, 'bout the best I have seen.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I just went back through all the pages of this thread, and realized I've never applied for membership. I seem to have five, in all. Here are my two favorites: a brown Alessandria, and a grey Savoy. Both have wind trolleys (I actually used one the other day!). The Savoy also has a Cavanagh edge. Both have the direct sewn, non-reeded sweatbands, and the accordian pleated spacer at the front of the sweatband. I love these hats!

P1050156.jpg

P1050165.jpg

DOUGLAS

I love the brown Allesandria J.T. Mine is one of the most comfortable I own.

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Am I in, Am I in?

Got this off ebay for $76. Its called the Anello. Pristine condition. Not the top of there line, but still gets me in the door right? My first impression as a novice with less than 20 lids is that construction wise its nothing above and beyond any of the other hats I have, new or old, however, I must say the felt is very soft and easy to bash. I'm digging it. What do you all think?
tdretro002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21