Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino, Open Road-style.

scaled.php

It's an Alessandria.It is very nice felt, indeed.

HE; That is a marvelous hat. The Open Road style of Borsalino I have not seen before. It is new and exciting. Cheers and congrats!

I have taken to wearing a few Open Road and “alike” hats of late and am enjoying the style. At first glance I dismissed them as way to country for me. Whoa big boy, that is not so. In fact they look darn right suburban when I wear them. I will give that they are not the down town fedora that I would pair with a formal suit. But anything short of that extreme, they work grand. I am enjoying the versatility they give me. I am betting that the very special felt of the Borso would make this hat very luxurious to the eye in real life. A real looker! Luxurious in texture, drape and line just is exciting .

Indeed, the tall straighter crown looks very interesting on this hat. To my eyes the Borso Alex. hats I have are blocked much different than the American continent hats of the same age. Is the blocking similar or different than the Stetson Open Road? If so, it might be enjoyable to experiment with different bashes. I am thinking that if it has a typical Borso block a diamond with soft points might dramatize the drape of the felt.

Congrats sir on a “new to my eye,” and very cool hat. Enjoy wearing the hat. Eric -

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah it was a big mistake selling this one especially since it was my first and a real find. I liked this color as it worked well as a good casual hat. And the hand to it was very nice , I can remember when i took it out of the box and the feel of the hat was really other worldly,the guy I bought from said that it had some angora in it?

bond

This is a Borsalino Trionfo ,a newer one, that I just bought on the bay. Its a bencraft import. I like the color and want to put another ribbon on it, maybe wider and more color ,any suggestions?
IMG_1759.jpg

bond

Yeah the brim one this one was only 2 1/4 which is one of the reasons I sold it but when it was turned down it really took the chill out of a cool day.

HE; That is a marvelous hat. The Open Road style of Borsalino I have not seen before. It is new and exciting. Cheers and congrats!

I have taken to wearing a few Open Road and “alike” hats of late and am enjoying the style. At first glance I dismissed them as way to country for me. Whoa big boy, that is not so. In fact they look darn right suburban when I wear them. I will give that they are not the down town fedora that I would pair with a formal suit. But anything short of that extreme, they work grand. I am enjoying the versatility they give me. I am betting that the very special felt of the Borso would make this hat very luxurious to the eye in real life. A real looker! Luxurious in texture, drape and line just is exciting .

Indeed, the tall straighter crown looks very interesting on this hat. To my eyes the Borso Alex. hats I have are blocked much different than the American continent hats of the same age. Is the blocking similar or different than the Stetson Open Road? If so, it might be enjoyable to experiment with different bashes. I am thinking that if it has a typical Borso block a diamond with soft points might dramatize the drape of the felt.

Congrats sir on a “new to my eye,” and very cool hat. Enjoy wearing the hat. Eric -

Most all Borsalinos have the city of Alessandria on liner / patch. I can't remember if this OR style was known as Alessandria from the start. I believe it was made for the American market and very popular (and a common vintage find). I have never encountered an older one from a European source. The model is still available today in open crown but the block might be slightly different.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Mayserwwenger; Your posts demonstrate a high knowledge in hat history and experience. Thanks for taking the time and sharing. I will contact Bencraft regarding availability and current blocking standards. I have a couple of the Alessandria models (mint/taupe) and love wearing them. Additionally, I will start looking for one of these vintage Borso OR hats in my size. This is just a great looking hat.

Thanks again, Eric -

Last edited:
Of the older Alessandria style hats I own, all have been marked TA/Ludora or Ludoela.

Is this on the paper label and what time period? Do you know when this style was introduced by Borsalino and was it American market only (appears to be the case)?

I only have one Alessandria style and it looks to be from the 60s and has Nero (no other wording) on the paper label which is the color of the hat.

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Is this on the paper label and what time period? Do you know when this style was introduced by Borsalino and was it American market only (appears to be the case)?

I only have one Alessandria style and it looks to be from the 60s and has Nero (no other wording) on the paper label which is the color of the hat.

Yes, on the paper label.
lables002.jpg

lables003.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
If I remember correctly, what they told me in the factory is that ludora--in this particular case-- (or whatever other Borsalinos have written on that side of the label) refers to the ribbon color/style. But I could be wrong as the amount of info I got was so vast and my time there so brief that I could have confused things.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
If I remember correctly, what they told me in the factory is that ludora--in this particular case-- (or whatever other Borsalinos have written on that side of the label) refers to the ribbon color/style. But I could be wrong as the amount of info I got was so vast and my time there so brief that I could have confused things.

No, ribbon color, if different from the hat color will be printed in between.
like this
005kt.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Right! I should have written down everything I learned at the factory... We're spending x-mas in Milan again this year, I think. Maybe I'll drive to Alessandria again.

bond

Here is a pic of the Borso i let a cleaner have their way with,Iam a waiting a re- dye job from where they sent it I know nothing about.
IMG_1089.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic