Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Coppola

New in Town
P1050045.JPG
P1050046.JPG
300px-Narwhals_breach.jpg
I'm from Naples (Napoli). This store was founded in 1922 and the "Marino" family and stores still survive today. This hat is an little piece of the early '900s history of Italy.
Congratulations!

lecky

New in Town
I wonder if any of you have seen the 1970 french gangster film Borsalino? The film is named for the hat company, and in the opening title even uses the Borsalino logo type. It's set in the 30s in Marseille, and is full of beautiful Borsalino hats of course. I could post some images if anyone's interested.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if any of you have seen the 1970 french gangster film Borsalino? The film is named for the hat company, and in the opening title even uses the Borsalino logo type. It's set in the 30s in Marseille, and is full of beautiful Borsalino hats of course. I could post some images if anyone's interested.

I'd love to see some more stills from the Borsalino (1970) movie. So far, there are just a few pics in the thread Movie hats that inspired you. Perhaps that would be a good place to post new ones.

Haven't seen the film, I'm into 1930s-50s movies mostly. The hats used in the film were in fact made by Borsalino; to my knowledge the actors don't wear vintage hats or old stock.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the comments, fellas!

That looks great with that crease Jeff. I have a later model Borsoburger with a short crown and smaller brim, also gray. I like the gray color, looks good on ya. Haven't seen many tan homburgs.

True, the tan homburgs are elusive, but they look so wonderful and unique!

I normally consider myself more of a warm colored hat kind of guy-- do you really think I can pull off this cooler grey?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the comments, fellas!

True, the tan homburgs are elusive, but they look so wonderful and unique!

I normally consider myself more of a warm colored hat kind of guy-- do you really think I can pull off this cooler grey?

Absolutely, Jeff. Sure you can pull it off. That is, as long as it doesn't make you feel ill at ease.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Randall-- that is awesome! You came home with the car, too, right?

Rabbit-- heh. I forgot I sold my St. Regis awhile ago, but just eyeing the Borso next to the Bellamey and a Lee that I recall having very similar blocking to the Stetson, the Borso is definitely shorter, by at least 1/4", maybe half, and the top is less tapered, making for a wider, shallower center dent.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit-- heh. I forgot I sold my St. Regis awhile ago, but just eyeing the Borso next to the Bellamey and a Lee that I recall having very similar blocking to the Stetson, the Borso is definitely shorter, by at least 1/4", maybe half, and the top is less tapered, making for a wider, shallower center dent.

Now that's interesting. I'd love to see some open crown side-by-side shots of the three Homburgs. You know, whenever. :)
Come to think of it, I might post some comparsion shots of some Homburgs open crown, too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Let's try this: here's the Borso (left) next to the Lee (right).
The Borsalino has a brim that is flanged a bit more, so the crown difference is less noticeable when they're resting on the brims. It's more obvious while they're resting on the crowns, and I think the blocking differences will be readily apparent. You can also see the variation in crease depth from the shadows in the bird's eye shot. Check it out!

010jiq.jpg

012sde.jpg

014ndp.jpg

016fri.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Those pics illustrate the difference very well, thanks for posting them. By the way, the brim flange on the Borsalino is magnificent.

Steve327

New in Town
Well I recently purchased my first hat that is not a Panama. After browsing the forums for some time now, and doing a bit of historic research I decided Borsalino would make a great hat for me. Thanks to another member here, I am the proud owner of this baby, fresh out of the box today. The quality and condition really surprised me and solidified my love of hats. Seller says it is from the 50s, can anyone tell me what exactly to look at to verify this?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Well I recently purchased my first hat that is not a Panama. After browsing the forums for some time now, and doing a bit of historic research I decided Borsalino would make a great hat for me. Thanks to another member here, I am the proud owner of this baby, fresh out of the box today. The quality and condition really surprised me and solidified my love of hats. Seller says it is from the 50s, can anyone tell me what exactly to look at to verify this?

Steve, welcome, this is a nice Borsalino but I dont think he is from the 50s. My guess, he is from mid 60s to 70s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko