Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

seabass

Call Me a Cab
WOW Rabbit !
Fuzzy Luxury !
Man my friend has a very similar hat & same hat dealer from San Francisco on the Sweatband....I was tempted to buy it But sooo hot my climate

Bond try CityVintage, Daly City Ca he might still have it.it was 7 3/8 if i remember

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Makes me want to get one of those long hair ones too ...

I passed up four other long hairs before I went for this one...

Nice borso Nikolai. Great color and vintage .
Not everyone likes those long hair borsos but they certainly have their place in my opinion .
Love to find one in my size and vintage similar to yours.

Thank you, Scott. I feel the same way about the long hair finish. I'll only add that the long hair calls for lots of rough texture in the clothing, otherwise it can look out of place.

WOW Rabbit !
Fuzzy Luxury !
Man my friend has a very similar hat & same hat dealer from San Francisco on the Sweatband....I was tempted to buy it But sooo hot my climate

Bond try CityVintage, Daly City Ca he might still have it.it was 7 3/8 if i remember

It's a good thing the temps around here had dropped when I went to pick up the Borso. A few days earlier, I would have collapsed in the heat from just looking at the hat.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Are there any contemporary makers of longhair fedoras?

The modern longhairs I've seen were more of the fuzzy type. You know, longer still than the finish on the Borsalino I posted before. I don't know of any modern hatmaker that can produce the shiny finish of the olden goldies.

Art Fawcett offers a silk finish which is a type of scratch finish. It's fundamentally different from a long hair finish, but definitely worth considering if you're looking for a rough finish to go with certain winter clothings.

Edit: One modern matmaker does offer a very beautiful shiny long hair finish - Optimo's melusine finish. Their black diamond is simply stunning.

Last edited:

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Joining the Brotherhood!

Thanks to Ordinary Guy, I'm joining the Borsalino Brotherhood. I don't know when this Borso made it across the pond, but we do have one thing in common; we both were made in Italy. I made it over here about Summer of 1965.

I put on the darker ribbon from some vintage rayon blend. I'll be sportin' this tomorrow to church.
ac65195c4061ed1dd7903d19d90cac17.jpg

6d390279b4210b304ebe6f7cfdab44ff.jpg

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen, its been suggested that I might get a little dating help with 2 Borsalinos I have. I will post a picture of the hat, the inside and the serial number and hopefully you can help! I have very much enjoyed browsing the site...wow, there is a lot to learn about hats!
ALESSANDRIA: found with no crease, but have shown it with one, and as found, comes with Borsalino box, which has been around the block a bit. Hat is mint.
mens_202.JPG

mens_207.JPG

mens_209.JPG

mens_215.JPG

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Dressedtothe9s,

as the dating of Borsalino hats is notoriously difficult, here's some other, more general info. You already know that the presence or absence of the Borsalino logo on the paper sticker behind the sweatband differentiates between the pre-early50s hats and the mid50s to late50s hats.

- The Borsalino imprint on the sweatband reads Antica Casa in the case of hats made for the European market, and Original House for hats that were made for the U.S. market. European hats often (though certainly not always) had lower crowns compared to the full, high crowns of the American models.

- The paper sticker reads from left to right the name of 1) the felt color; 2) the ribbon color; 3) the model name which is usually a fantasy name made up by Borsalino [For instance Palladio c. (= con) nero Ecosca, on your gray Borsalino].

- The semi-translucent cover of the lining at the crown roof, often used on European models, is called oil skin; the production ceased sometime in the early 1950s.

Last edited:

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Dressedtothe9s,

as the dating of Borsalino hats is notoriously difficult, here's some other, more general info. You already know that the presence or absence of the Borsalino logo on the paper sticker behind the sweatband differentiates between the pre-early50s hats and the mid50s to late50s hats.

- The Borsalino imprint on the sweatband reads Antiqua Casa in the case of hats made for the European market, and Original House for hats that were made for the U.S. market. European hats often (though certainly not always) had lower crowns compared to the full, high crowns of the American models.

- The paper sticker reads from left to right the name of 1) the felt color; 2) the ribbon color; 3) the model name which is usually a fantasy name made up by Borsalino [For instance Palladio c. (= con) nero Ecosca, on your gray Borsalino].

- The semi-translucent cover of the lining at the crown roof, often used on European models, is called oil skin; the production ceased sometime in the early 1950s.

Thank you so much, what a wealth of information! Is there any possibility that the one with the older label is late 40s, or would you think that just "50s" is the safest bet. Bobbi

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you so much, what a wealth of information! Is there any possibility that the one with the older label is late 40s, or would you think that just "50s" is the safest bet. Bobbi

The older label makes it no later than early 1950s. The more recent label without the Borsalino logo puts it mid to late 50s. Sometime in the early 60s, the logo seen on the gray one was replaced by other labels (different fonts, different paper) that are also covered in this thread.

Assuming the brown one is post-WWII, it certainly is a safe bet to date it late 40s to early 50s.

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
The older label makes it no later than early 1950s. The more recent label without the Borsalino logo puts it mid to late 50s. Sometime in the early 60s, the logo seen on the gray one was replaced by other labels (different fonts, different paper) that are also covered in this thread.

Assuming the brown one is post-WWII, it certainly is a safe bet to date it late 40s to early 50s.
You are the best! Now Im off to get some clarification on a Mallory and a few Stetsons...so much to learn!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks to Ordinary Guy, I'm joining the Borsalino Brotherhood. I don't know when this Borso made it across the pond, but we do have one thing in common; we both were made in Italy. I made it over here about Summer of 1965.

I put on the darker ribbon from some vintage rayon blend. I'll be sportin' this tomorrow to church.

LOOKS great with the new ribbon FM.......

Borsalino Ipersca

2 3/4" brim with misto style heather felt, received somewhat crumpled and stained.

ipersca2.jpg

It cleaned up quite nicely.

ipersca3.jpg

ipersca4.jpg

Over welt with triple stitch - recalls the Stetson wafer edge.

The milky white vinyl liner protector, synthetic feeling acetate and reeded sweat with sewn rear seam are all production values that Borsalino used in the 1960s.

ipersca5.jpg

ipersca6.jpg

The character of the felt and styling feel older... the green label confirms this as an earlier hat - postwar to late 1940s is my guess.

ipersca1.jpg

091412.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points