Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Landman

One Too Many
I have used this stuff to apply a tip sticker before. Worked great. It dries clear and semi-flexible, didn't soak through the felt and is supposed to be machine washable so it should be durable. Not sure if you can get it where you are though. Somebody may sell it on EBay. I bought mine at Walmart and it has a slightly different label. Says "Original Formula". Reminded me of just plain Elmer's Glue because it was milky white but dried clear. I'd be happy to buy some more and send it to you. Don't know what the laws are on shipping a fluid like this though. Just let me know if you want some.

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=394

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I have used this stuff to apply a tip sticker before. Worked great. It dries clear and semi-flexible, didn't soak through the felt and is supposed to be machine washable so it should be durable. Not sure if you can get it where you are though. Somebody may sell it on EBay. I bought mine at Walmart and it has a slightly different label. Says "Original Formula". Reminded me of just plain Elmer's Glue because it was milky white but dried clear. I'd be happy to buy some more and send it to you. Don't know what the laws are on shipping a fluid like this though. Just let me know if you want some.

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=394

Thank you very much for the offer, Mike. I'll see if Alan can source some Fabri-Tac for me. I'll PM you if I need an alternative. By the way, shipping things to Germany is not much restricted except for a few obvious categories.

Fabri-Tac and Liquid Stitch are similar formulations of fabric adhesive. A Google search will turn up some discussions on which folks like better - I didn't see a clear conclusion.

Obviously, gluing loose parts of a wonderful vintage hat back together is not a recourse to be taken lightly. In the instance of a sweatband that has separated from the reed where it is possible to tack the sweat to the reed with adhesive and make the hat enjoyable to wear, I think a bit of adhesive is OK. If the hat is to be restored by a hatter at a later time, it mostly likely will lose the sweat and reed altogether. And if the renovation is to be attempted by restitching the original materials, the adhesive should be reversible if used sparingly. Other than this, I would be hesitant to use glue.

Just my .02

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nik,

No problem. Looks like I can send you the glue but no unwrapped playing cards! Now that is strange.

The unwrapped playing cards are the unavoidable oddball in the list, as it seems. But that's nothing, you should see the list of restrictions for Italy.

But I disgress. O.K., back to topic. :)

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Fabri-Tac and Liquid Stitch are similar formulations of fabric adhesive. A Google search will turn up some discussions on which folks like better - I didn't see a clear conclusion.

Obviously, gluing loose parts of a wonderful vintage hat back together is not a recourse to be taken lightly. In the instance of a sweatband that has separated from the reed where it is possible to tack the sweat to the reed with adhesive and make the hat enjoyable to wear, I think a bit of adhesive is OK. If the hat is to be restored by a hatter at a later time, it mostly likely will lose the sweat and reed altogether. And if the renovation is to be attempted by restitching the original materials, the adhesive should be reversible if used sparingly. Other than this, I would be hesitant to use glue.

Just my .02

Alan,

I agree totally. I was hesitant to even use it for a tip sticker but I asked Art Fawcett first. He didn't recommend a particular brand but said to use fabric glue and use it very sparingly. I think for reattaching the reed to a sweatband you don't have as much to worry about. I was concerned about the glue soaking thru the felt and showing on the exterior of the hat. That did not happen in my case.

One quick digression, what is it about playing cards? Italy has them on it's ban list too.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
My last buys arrival! Borsalino Bronzo, made for the Austrian market, snap brim, raw edge and soft felt! Condition like new!
Liner with oil skin protector as Nick's beautiful Homburger!
Mid 50s my guess!

borsalinosnap7.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
This is my first time on the thread. I've attached some photos of a Borsalino I own. Can anyone tell me the age, or best guess and any other useful info about the hat? Thanks

photo38_zps6cc5c72e.jpg

photo30_zps189d9120.jpg

photo45_zps0f2a4da8.jpg

photo43_zpsdee4129a.jpg

photo41_zpsce70c0e8.jpg

photo66_zpscb49c3ae.jpg

photo53_zpsd366fb73.jpg

photo58_zpsfa6655b2.jpg

photo62_zps9e96458f.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, Purplesage. The paper sticker with the Borsalino logo was used until sometime in the early 1950s, so this puts it pre-1952 or thereabouts. The liner logo was used in the 1940s and 50s; I guess it's safe to say this hat is post-WWII to early 1952. My gut feeling tells me it's towards the more recent side.
The unreeded sweatband wears wonderfully; be careful however. Unreeded sweats are prone to popping stitches when under tension (for instance, when flipping the sweat to look beneath it for the labels).
A super hat in great condition!

By the way, the word on the left side of the sticker (Viscarda) is the name of the felt color; the word on the right side (Gorasgu) is the name of the hat model. The model names were usually some fantasy words made up by Borsalino.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24