Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Wow, what a great hat, Alan. The heather felt is really unique. Every line and curve compliments the next, very striking! And I love the casual style it can complete. Nice find! :thumb:

davidraphael

Practically Family
It's not my size, but I couldn't resist buying this hat: The felt is very soft and lightweight. And you can breathe a crease into it and it will hold. Amazing hat.

Borsalino "Augusta" thin-ribbon Allessandria
from "A Cambini (Firenze)" ie, Florence

The white label says:
N6U 10517 (is there any way of dating it by this?)
Bromo (the color; bromine - chocolate brown. The nearest colour is image no. 6)
Driason

Next to the size tag there's another paper tag for EULAN (which means it is moth resistant)

Any ideas about the age? I'm also wondering what it's worth because it's something I might be willing to part with (Sale or swap) - it's truly a beauty but a torture to have around because it'll never fit me!

bors1.jpg

bors2.jpg

bors3.jpg

bors4.jpg

bors5.jpg

bors6.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 1950s Homburg Gulaela - Stirina c. nero European market Qualità Extra Superiore

Basted stitchings on the ribbon, taped rear seam, reeded sweat.

The "vvvvvv" stitchings at the leather sweat have come loose almost all the way around. It's the attachment of the leather sweat to the reed, not of the reed to the felt. I'll probably send it in for repair. Does anyone know whether this is repairable professionally? I wouldn't mind if the "vvvvvv" stitchings would have to be replaced with "|||||||||" stitchings if that's necessary. Another idea that crossed my mind would be to do a button attachment instead of a sewn leather band. The hat being a comfortable fit, the extra space required for the buttons would be no problem. Any recommendations on procedures or hatters? I wonder if Art would accept this type of repair job.

The red thread visible almost all around the sweat was sewn by the previous owner. He did this very carefully, and the sweatband is held in place rather well, with the exception of one section which is still loose. The red thread could be easily removed.

The felt on this one is wonderfully pliable. The brim curve is just perfect, see the front view.

Open crown:

P1090140_zpscb3b1ec0.jpg

Center dent only:

P1090144_zps0d3c460c.jpg

Center dent with side dents:

P1090146_zps65835ea2.jpg

Center dent with tighter front pinch:

BorsalinoHomburgGulaela-StirinacneroQualitExtraSuperiore_zpsef55e22d.jpg

P1090153_zps82ae22ac.jpg

Basted stitchings on the ribbon:

P1090157_zps92dec5eb.jpg

P1090159_zpsc3544af8.jpg

Liner with oilskin protector:

P1090163_zps4e827e55.jpg

P1090166_zps968bafb7.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 1950s Homburg Gulaela Part II

P1090170_zpsa55e7815.jpg

P1090173_zps15275691.jpg

If you look closely at the pic below, you can see the intact stitchings in the left section, and the popped stitchings in the right section on the sweatband, just below the Antica Casa imprint:

P1090174_zpsaeb0b346.jpg

This section has come loose entirely. The previous owner carefully sewed the leather with red thread.

P1090177_zpsd78f85b6.jpg

P1090179_zpscd5531ca.jpg

Last edited:
Nik, Great Borso Homburg! Sorry about the sweatband. I think a good seamstress with direction could make the fix. I think the current fix would be ok if they had stitched (also closer stitches and matching thread) the leather to the reed assembly.

Side note: I have a couple old Bowlers where the sweat stitches popped. I used a small amount of Elmer's glue* to reattach the leather to the reed assembly. Only at very close inspection you can see the stitches (very small) are missing.

*Why not? It did the job and didn't damage the sweat!

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nik, Great Borso Homburg! Sorry about the sweatband. I think a good seamstress with direction could make the fix. I think the current fix would be ok if they had stitched (also closer stitches and matching thread) the leather to the reed assembly.

Thank you, Steve. Would you say that in order to sew it properly, the sweatband as a whole needs to be removed, then the leather reattached to the reed assembly (i.e. the plastic band hidden beneath the sweat)?

Landman

One Too Many
Thank you, Steve. Would you say that in order to sew it properly, the sweatband as a whole needs to be removed, then the leather reattached to the reed assembly (i.e. the plastic band hidden beneath the sweat)?

Nik,

I had an older Open Road that some stitches were popped. A local hatter repaired it by sewing the sweat back in using the exact same holes from the previous stitching. I couldn't believe how good it looks. The only way to tell is look at it very close and you can see a slight difference in the color of the new thread. I would imagine it was very tedious work so it might be hard to find somebody to do that.

Beautiful hat by the way!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yes that would be the best way but you would also have to remove the ribbon or work around it.

Thanks, Steve. The ribbon removal goes without saying. The glue option sounds tempting but I think it works better on your Bowlers which I assume have very tiny and closely assembled stitch holes to begin with.

Nik,

I had an older Open Road that some stitches were popped. A local hatter repaired it by sewing the sweat back in using the exact same holes from the previous stitching. I couldn't believe how good it looks. The only way to tell is look at it very close and you can see a slight difference in the color of the new thread. I would imagine it was very tedious work so it might be hard to find somebody to do that.

Beautiful hat by the way!

Thank you for the info, Mike - so it can actually be done in a professional manner, that's good to know. I guess it has to be done with a machine stitch, so I'll send it in to a hatter, probably to Art.

Very nice Borsalinos there, Nik and David!

Nik, I've found the sweatband thread on some reeded mid fifties Borsos to be very fragile and prone to popping. Like Steve, I have made a few adhesive repairs to support the sweatband while considering a more complicated sewn renovation. I don't use a water based glue, rather this fabric adhesive, applying between the sweat and the reed in small dabs. It is very strong, invisible, and easily removable with acetone should a more comprehensive repair be attempted down the road.

Landman

One Too Many
Thank you for the info, Mike - so it can actually be done in a professional manner, that's good to know. I guess it has to be done with a machine stitch, so I'll send it in to a hatter, probably to Art.

Nik,

The hatter that repaired mine did it by hand so he could hit the old stitch holes exactly. That's why I said it had to be tedious work. The man that did it though comes from a family of tailors and now works at a hat shop. He is a real artist with a needle and thread.

After posting this I had a thought, maybe you could find a tailor willing to give it a try.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Very nice Borsalinos there, Nik and David!

Nik, I've found the sweatband thread on some reeded mid fifties Borsos to be very fragile and prone to popping. Like Steve, I have made a few adhesive repairs to support the sweatband while considering a more complicated sewn renovation. I don't use a water based glue, rather this fabric adhesive, applying between the sweat and the reed in small dabs. It is very strong, invisible, and easily removable with acetone should a more comprehensive repair be attempted down the road.

Thank you for the information on the glue repair, Alan. Is Fabri-Tac a Cyanoacrylate-based glue (as in superglue)? Being located in Germany, I have to find an equivalent for Fabri-Tac.

Nik,

The hatter that repaired mine did it by hand so he could hit the old stitch holes exactly. That's why I said it had to be tedious work. The man that did it though comes from a family of tailors and now works at a hat shop. He is a real artist with a needle and thread.

After posting this I had a thought, maybe you could find a tailor willing to give it a try.

Hmm... I might try it myself, then. We'll see.

No, not cyanoacrylate. It has some body and remains somewhat flexible. It's a costume shop staple. If Donna can get me another small bottle, perhaps I can send you some?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails