Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

captainc0bra

New in Town
Another Nick Fouquet resurrection - this time my vtg Borso. It's my ratrod.

iM8gxnP.jpg

VaU3iJj.jpg

PFD9tw0.jpg

how much does Nick charge to restore a hat like this if you dont mind me asking....?

Captainc0bra, I have a very similar model to yours there.
Here's the liner.....
654bb1a8c017b17649bc83b1e239be55.jpg

And the sweatband....
58e92a73a5e3b77607916cc7fa6bacd9.jpg

Folks in the know around here have pegged mine at early 50s. I imagine yours is pretty close.

The label (actually belongs to Robert) I posted is for mid to later 70s until company was sold in the mid 80s. The label has to look the same physically + format.

I don't doubt that. More than anything, I'm trying to point out whether or not using the first two digits of the serial number is an accurate way of dating them. A lot of people are doing this.Cheers

Hi Captain, it only applies to the style of later labels shown in the example a few posts above yours. Yours is post war, somewhere around 1960 is my guess.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I would use the term "restore" very loosely in this case.

I agree with Jared, from what I've seen of the Fouquet hats it's more about pre-distressing hats than making hats. I'm old school so I don't understand the "styling" of beating up a hat, seems easy enough to do by yourself. Not intending to offend, just my POV.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
Captainc0bra, I have a very similar model to yours there.
Here's the liner.....
654bb1a8c017b17649bc83b1e239be55.jpg

And the sweatband....
58e92a73a5e3b77607916cc7fa6bacd9.jpg

Folks in the know around here have pegged mine at early 50s. I imagine yours is pretty close.

I have the same liner and sweatband. My hat is from the 50s.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Jared, from what I've seen of the Fouquet hats it's more about pre-distressing hats than making hats. I'm old school so I don't understand the "styling" of beating up a hat, seems easy enough to do by yourself. Not intending to offend, just my POV.

Yeah, that's his thing, and he does what he does, and does it well.

If you want to restore a Borso, I would sent it to Bob At Black Sheep Hatworks, Art Fawcett, or Optimo. Any one of those venders will do a top notch job renovating the hat.

I 'get' the idea behind Fouquet's aesthetic (personally, I own a "relic" guitar that was built to look aged), but some of his choices are puzzling. I don't particularly understand the purpose of the white threading over the binding; particularly if it's meant to be, or appear as, a kind of jury-rigged fix for the binding, when it's not actually "fixing" the spots of the binding that are still lifting up off the brim.

rclark

Call Me a Cab

+1. But to each his own I guess!

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
And just for clarification, all of the hats I've posted from my Stetsons, Resistols and Borsalinos are hats I've brought to Nicks primarily for reblocking and some creative. Alberto who works with Nick has done the work on my hats. Nick does not do this kind of work. He makes hats from scratch. And predistressed is not his primary style. One only needs to see Pharrells hats and the last hat to appear on Justified to see a few examples of Nicks bespoke hats.

tommyK

One Too Many
And just for clarification, all of the hats I've posted from my Stetsons, Resistols and Borsalinos are hats I've brought to Nicks primarily for reblocking and some creative. Alberto who works with Nick has done the work on my hats. Nick does not do this kind of work. He makes hats from scratch. And predistressed is not his primary style. One only needs to see Pharrells hats and the last hat to appear on Justified to see a few examples of Nicks bespoke hats.

It's great the celebrity exposure his hat's get. I like the hats on his website. There is some great work there. Great color combos, styles and creases. Perhaps his website should put a little less emphasis on the pre-distressed look. I can see how some might get the impression this is the preferred way he makes his hats.

p.s. Clintfisher, I think your hat looks great, by the way!

Last edited:
Any hat can be easily bumped up a size with the help of a "hat jack" stretcher. But to go up that many sizes requires somebody to rebuild the hat. Sure it's do-able, but probably not yourself, unless you have the knowledge and investment in tooling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner