Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

I did it and I’m excited to say I’m a Borsalino owner. Found one of those San Remo Quality Superior with the blue and white tag. I don’t know the age but it has a 1.75 brim and no taper. I hate the taper. It arrived today.

First thoughts, the felt is nothing I have felt before in my short time collecting. It the first hat I didn’t have to steam. It shapes on the dry and very soft. It’s not as thick as my Stetson but feels more refine.

I actually think this hat looks the best on me. I’m still a bit self conscious to this world of hat wearing (anything not a baseball cap) but not with this one.

Right out of the box with a quick pinch.
Congrats; it's a cool looking hat.

Another one for posterity. Not my hat, but another dated one to solidify our labels and timeframe theory. A fairly late date for the yellow cellophane liner tip covering.

bors1.jpg
bors2.jpg
bors3.jpg
bors4.jpg
bors5.jpg
bors6.jpg

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Have another one coming.

Anyone know if I can do a "logo delete" on the knot of the hat?

Would nail polish remover work without destroying the material?

Not sure how it is applied on there. If it is sewn or looped through. If it is looped through perhaps I can rotate it to the back.

I think that is the stupidest thing you can do to a hat and of all brands. That logo writing makes it look like a commercial branded hat.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have another one coming.

Not sure how it is applied on there. If it is sewn or looped through. If it is looped through perhaps I can rotate it to the back.

I think that is the stupidest thing you can do to a hat and of all brands. That logo writing makes it look like a commercial branded hat.

Thanks in advance.
Haven't tried removing one yet, but others have. I believe using acetone. It is printed on there, so that should likely work. Odd little tidbit: while most of us scoff at that printed branding, the hats I've sold at auction that had it on there consistently sold at higher prices than the ones without. For a lot of people to be seen wearing a brand is the most important thing.

Have another one coming.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve removed the Borsalino branding from the bow keepers on several hats. I also hate it and think it looks gaudy and inelegant. I’ve used a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. It comes off in just a couple minutes and there is not damage to the hat or ribbon.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I’ve removed the Borsalino branding from the bow keepers on several hats. I also hate it and think it looks gaudy and inelegant. I’ve used a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. It comes off in just a couple minutes and there is not damage to the hat or ribbon.
Thank you.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and it looks like you did and it works.

African Gentleman

New in Town
First I want to thank you for accepting me. Im still learning the site I hope this is the correct place to post this. The hat arrived from Italy today a Borsalino Trionfo and it cost $23. Its in great condition it just needs a brush. Im assuming its from the 1980's its a stiff hat, is it of a reasonable quality.
IMG_20231104_130846.jpg
IMG20231104130527.jpg
IMG_20231104_130800.jpg
IMG_20231104_130724.jpg

First I want to thank you for accepting me. Im still learning the site I hope this is the correct place to post this. The hat arrived from Italy today a Borsalino Trionfo and it cost $23. It’s in great condition it just needs a brush. Im assuming its from the 1980's its a stiff hat, is it of a reasonable quality. View attachment 557730 View attachment 557731 View attachment 557732 View attachment 557733
Nice find. Welcome to the lounge.. and this Your submission for entry into the Borsalino Brotherhood should pass with flying colors ;)

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
First I want to thank you for accepting me. Im still learning the site I hope this is the correct place to post this. The hat arrived from Italy today a Borsalino Trionfo and it cost $23. Its in great condition it just needs a brush. Im assuming its from the 1980's its a stiff hat, is it of a reasonable quality. View attachment 557730 View attachment 557731 View attachment 557732 View attachment 557733
Welcome. I just joined the club and great find.

Hugo Boss didn't put his name on cheap Tshirts and charge quadruple for no reason.
Haven't tried removing one yet, but others have. I believe using acetone. It is printed on there, so that should likely work. Odd little tidbit: while most of us scoff at that printed branding, the hats I've sold at auction that had it on there consistently sold at higher prices than the ones without. For a lot of people to be seen wearing a brand is the most important thing.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Light gray modern Borsalino from Steven at Bencraft. I just love the color. Trionfo line, super soft Alessandria. From the computer tag under the band that begins "09" I'm guessing 2009 manufacture, before the moste recent Borsalino mess started, I believe.

I adore it!

FAC08D67-F1B0-4D17-A182-8FB0E002E04B.jpeg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Light gray modern Borsalino from Steven at Bencraft. I just love the color. Trionfo line, super soft Alessandria. From the computer tag under the band that begins "09" I'm guessing 2009 manufacture, before the moste recent Borsalino mess started, I believe.

I adore it!

View attachment 558646

Looks great on you!
There is just something about a thin ribbon!!!!

Mcox47

Familiar Face
My first Borsalino. Also my first bowler. In better shape than I saw from the pictures but it does need a good cleaning. Didn't really want a bowler, but the price was right.

I am a "loose" 7 1/8 and everything I have heard said Borsalinos run small, so I thought it would be perfect. Amazingly I seem to have bought the only Borsalino on the planet that runs large, fits more a 7 1/4 I think.

May pass it along but will try it out for now. Still looking for that elusive pre 1970's Borsalino fedora that won't cost me both kidneys to buy.

img_2327-jpg.559216
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 252

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you have a good Borso bowler. Borso fedora's have too much taper for me, so I've had to stick with Borso bowlers and homburgs. If your hat originates in Europe then the 1/8 size is 1/4 US, which is why it is large.

Ps, I always love the pleated liner on the bowlers.

My first Borsalino. Also my first bowler. In better shape than I saw from the pictures but it does need a good cleaning. Didn't really want a bowler, but the price was right.

I am a "loose" 7 1/8 and everything I have heard said Borsalinos run small, so I thought it would be perfect. Amazingly I seem to have bought the only Borsalino on the planet that runs large, fits more a 7 1/4 I think.

May pass it along but will try it out for now. Still looking for that elusive pre 1970's Borsalino fedora that won't cost me both kidneys to buy.

img_2327-jpg.559216
View attachment 559224 View attachment 559225 View attachment 559226 View attachment 559227

20230717_145222.jpg 20230717_145310.jpg

Mcox47

Familiar Face
Looks like you have a good Borso bowler. Borso fedora's have too much taper for me, so I've had to stick with Borso bowlers and homburgs. If your hat originates in Europe then the 1/8 size is 1/4 US, which is why it is large.

Ps, I always love the pleated liner on the bowlers.

You may be right on the European sizing. The sweatband does say Sofia but not sure if it was actually sold in Bulgaria.

I have added some foam behind the band for now to see if I want to keep it or not.

img_2327-jpg.559216
View attachment 559224 View attachment 559225 View attachment 559226 View attachment 559227
Do you follow MiamiBruno on Ebay? He regularly has Borsalinos and his prices are fair, his descriptions are accurate. A hat seller with knowledge and integrity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff